love

Author Topic: Jurassic World  (Read 8446 times)

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
Re: Jurassic World
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 08:47:16 PM »
That's one of biggest gropes in movies. They only ever try calling once!! Keep calling and texting until they get it!

MattDrufke

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 08:45:03 AM »
I apologize for not adding anything too in depth to the conversation, but this...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mrloganrhoades/the-hero-of-jurassic-world-is-not-chris-pratt-but-the-man-do#.ypWa905w1

Love this and felt the same way.

pixote

Knowing Jimmy Buffet is in the movie makes me dislike this movie more.
@ihatemattdrufke

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 05:06:35 AM »
Not saying I'm glad only a video game reviewer of all people shares the same hatred of this movie with me... but I am kinda glad he shares the hatred with me. "Contrived" is the keyword. "Unnecessary" is another.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhrJRciqIsA

What's that phrase people use? Oh yeah - artistically bankrupt.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 05:10:28 AM by Paul Phoenix »
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 02:10:25 AM »
To everyone who dislikes or hates Jurassic World; do you have a strong connection to Jurassic Park? I'm not too critical on movies to start with but I really enjoyed World probably more than Park. I wonder if it's because I don't have a strong connection with Park?

I think this will be an issue with Star Wars big time.

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 03:09:50 AM »
I actually don't have that strong of a connection to the first film - it's not even in my top ten list of favorite movies. I agree with a lot of people who said that the first film is a glorified monster movie, but I just find it terribly insulting that at least that glorified monster movie tried to tell an actual story. Jurassic World... barely had a story. It's an hour and a half chase sequence with some good nostalgic bits thrown into the end. It's almost like a video montage to the franchise. It's insulting as a movie.

Worst of all, even Jurassic Park III tried to have some kind of decent story - albeit the attempt being terrible. JP3... having a better story than Jurassic World. It's ludicrous.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 03:12:54 AM by Paul Phoenix »
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 01:40:52 PM »
Jurassic World
Colin Trevorrow (2015)

Jurassic World is a painfully vulgar movie.

I realized that I was in for something that would at least partially be quite unpleasant during a moment that I feel perfectly encapsulates everything wrong with the movie. When we get to the island, Williams' brilliant score from the first Jurassic Park starts playing. This time though, instead of having a magical moment that reveals to us for the first time the amazingly rendered dinosaurs, we are gloriously introduced to…lobby rooms, escalators and aerial shots of the city portion of the park. Gaze at the majestic hotels ! Ugh.

The movie plagiarises takes inspiration from the first three instalments of the franchise repeatedly.

One of the group of people we follow are two siblings who, like all children in American movies, have an apparent irresistible death wish that is so entirely irritating it makes you root for it to be granted by whatever merciless gods watch over this particular film. The main antagonist of World is an augmented superdinosaur like in episode three ; there is a ptaerodactyl cage scene ; the kids get stuck in a vehicle while the I-Rex insists on breaking through the windows to say hi ; I could go on.

Perhaps the biggest problem is that Jurassic World is thoroughly uninspired. It's great to draw from the earlier movies but it just does it so badly. It either unabashedly copies or goes bigger. There are no clever twists, no originality. It doesn't add anything and relies so much on the trilogy's reputation.

Okay, there is that T2-like thing where a previous movie's villains become allies to the main characters. I did like how the raptors never become fully domesticated and there is always the risk they might turn on you. But it wasn't enough ; so much more could have been made around that. More than just bringing in the T-Rex to ram the point home.

The film is semi aware of its flaws and there are some meta elements to it but nothing that justifies the over the top nature of the whole exercise like Kingsman did. Chris Pratt's character says something to the effect of « dinosaurs aren't spectacular enough » at some point. No, they're not. Not for the tourists of Jurassic World nor for the directors and producers of today's Hollywood. Some of the blame belongs to the public you might say, but here I think it belongs with the people who made this. No attempts at imagination are made ; the movies way of achieving relevance after the 14 hiatus is to explode the scale of everything. More guns, more dinosaurs, more deaths, a bigger park, a bigger T-Rex. The I-Rex is so absurdly dangerous it looks like a superhero designed by a washed out comic book writer : there is nothing more to it than an accumulation of powers. If the public has become blasé about giant murdering lizards it's the filmmakers' job to find new ways to make them interesting. This is lazy.

There are many other ludicrous elements to Jurassic World : the executive who storms into the dinosaur infested jungle in high heels ; the raptor trainer who doesn't want the raptors to be used by the army ; the impossibly insolent low-level security man-who-looks-at-computers ; and the plot holes. So many plot holes. If this movie had been named by Inarritu it would have the second title The Unexpected Ubiquity of Human Error and Complete Incompetence. Bloody hell.

The movie is not utterly bad though. Pratt's performance is adequate. His swagger is spot most of the time but there are instances where he seems to have left it in his other pants. Some of the action scenes are entertaining, though not enough to justify the film's length. And some other stuff. Let's just say I didn't completely hate everything and liked some things and leave it at that.

5/10 - Not a complete failure
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 01:47:03 PM by DarkeningHumour »
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 01:48:01 PM »
To everyone who dislikes or hates Jurassic World; do you have a strong connection to Jurassic Park? I'm not too critical on movies to start with but I really enjoyed World probably more than Park. I wonder if it's because I don't have a strong connection with Park?

I think this will be an issue with Star Wars big time.

I am by no means an Jurassic Park lover though I think it is a fine film. I can't recall the sequels well enough to comment on them.

This is an insult on the first one in any case.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 07:44:46 AM »
I'm not sure what people were expecting from a movie called Jurassic World, but I had a good time.
Everyone is complaining about D'Onofrio's militarized raptors idea, but I thought it was hilarious.
If you are able to separate it from the original, this is just a million dollar B-movie.
I really liked the kineticism of the Dino on Dino violence especially that final set piece.
In terms of giant CGI things fighting each other, I felt it worked way better than Pacific Rim for example.
Anyone feel like the older brother character is gonna grow up to be Don Draper?

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 07:49:25 AM »
Anyone feel like the older brother character is gonna grow up to be Don Draper?
To be blunt? Not really. He came off as a generic angst punk to me, forced into the role of an anti-dino character "because I'm a modern kid too cool for dinosaurs now".

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 07:57:55 AM »
I really liked the kineticism of the Dino on Dino violence especially that final set piece.
In terms of giant CGI things fighting each other, I felt it worked way better than Pacific Rim for example.

Strongly disagree. I didn't like Pacific Rim but the fights were better than the dino vs dino violence here. Some parts were inspired.

love