love

Author Topic: Ad hoc ergo spoiler hoc ?  (Read 1072 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Ad hoc ergo spoiler hoc ?
« on: June 19, 2015, 09:05:13 AM »
I was curious what the general attitude of people here was towards reviews. To be more specific, I wondered whether most people listen to the podcast before or after having watched the movie reviewed in that episode. The same can of course be asked about reviews in general, listened to or read : do you prefer ex-ante warnings and insights or do you prefer an ad hoc feedback ?

When I know I want to watch a particular movie, I like to know as little as possible about it going in -the Kempenaar method if you will. Then I check out what my critics fétiche said about it to compare notes and help me get more perspective on the thing. However, I might read the review of a movie to learn more about it or decide whether it's worth watching.

It has happened that I have listened to a review before going to see the movie though it had always been a must see but in those cases I usually find myself wanting to listen to the episode again to refresh my memory.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Ad hoc ergo spoiler hoc ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 10:23:41 AM »
I will say this week's episode is SPOILER HEAVY about Inside Out. Michael Phillips even says "without spoiling the ending" before opening a discussion that is A Complete Spoiler of the Ending, and I don't see how he can look at it any other way. The review in general gets into spoiler subjects that no other review I've read has brought up.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 11:15:30 PM »
I was curious what the general attitude of people here was towards reviews. To be more specific, I wondered whether most people listen to the podcast before or after having watched the movie reviewed in that episode.

All I can say is that it really depends.  In general, I think Filmcasting does an outstanding job of discussing a film without spoiling it.  /Filmcast puts their main review at the end where they announce when they will go into spoiler territory.

I seldom keep up with what is generally coming out or happening in the film industry, so I use a lot of the discussion here and on the Podcast to uncover films I potentially want to watch.  I do have to hear about them from somewhere after all.

But once I have set my mind on something I really want to watch, I tend to avoid reading any reviews in any of the theads here.  I usually intend to go back and read but that sadly is not usually the case.  It would be too difficult.  For example, It Follows and Ex Machina are probably my two most anticipated wanting to watch now.  I was probably triggered by some short discussion here on It Follows but once I had it in my mind to watch I stopped reading any review of it and have no idea about it other then the poster.  The Podcast episode is still unplayed.

I listened to the Podcast of Ex Machina which probably triggered me to want to watch it but I skipped all the reviews.

Once I watch them, I will go back to the Spoiler thread where it is easy to find discussions but not so much the reviews that are usually in the Respond to the Last Movie You Watched thread.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 11:20:47 PM »
I'll listen to/read reviews of movies I don't care about, with the idea that it might generate interest. And I'll wait to listen to/ read reviews of things I know I'm going to see.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 11:22:44 PM »
Or what Smirnoff just said much better
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman