Poll

What is your favourite movie by Martin McDonagh ?

haven't seen any
1 (4.5%)
don't like any
1 (4.5%)
Six Shooter (short) (2004)
0 (0%)
In Bruges (2008)
15 (68.2%)
Seven Psychopaths (2012)
1 (4.5%)
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
3 (13.6%)
The Banshees of Inisherin (2022)
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: McDonagh, Martin  (Read 2969 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: McDonagh, Martin
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 01:14:10 PM »
In Bruges (4/5)
Seven Psychopaths (3.5/5)

In Bruges 4/5
Seven Psychopaths 3.5/5
Three Billboards 3.5/5
Six Shooter 3/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jascook

• Cue the sun
    • Jas Watches Movies:  The Blog
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 09:23:47 AM »
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: 9/10
Sara: Good-bye, father Isak. Can't you see you're the one I love? Today, tomorrow and forever.
Isak Borg: I'll keep that in mind.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2022, 01:49:18 AM »
The Banshees of Inisherin (2022) ó The story is honestly kind dumb and doesnít make any sense. Oh, wait, itís a metaphor for the Irish Civil War? Ok, it makes perfect sense. Grade B-

This movie made me sad for weird reasons. Maybe Iím just depressed, but I feel like cinema is dead, and this film somehow just reinforced that idea. Like itís fine, whatever ó [inset reference to my review of In Bruges ó but thereís just no spark anymore. I donít know if itís me or movies. Maybe this is what Orson Welles went through. Maybe itís just America/Hollywood. Maybe itís just age. But it feels like somethingís been lost. We thought it was this forum, but maybe there just arenít any more films to spot. Cinecast all.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2022, 05:52:32 AM »
I donít know if itís me or movies. Maybe this is what Orson Welles went through. Maybe itís just America/Hollywood. Maybe itís just age. But it feels like somethingís been lost. We thought it was this forum, but maybe there just arenít any more films to spot.

I've felt this way for over 10 years. Filmmaking has become so pedestrian in the last 15 years. When I do watch something new, I find myself calling out all the repeated tropes in the screenplay. It's not you, it's the films.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2022, 03:57:53 AM »
Or it's the large number of films you have seen, and the limited number of tropes, so the more you see the harder it is to find something new.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2022, 10:09:27 AM »
Or it's the large number of films you have seen, and the limited number of tropes, so the more you see the harder it is to find something new.

I want to agree with this, but so many films today are just not made well. There seems to be no spark anymore. Well, at least for me.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2022, 02:28:50 PM »
So weird to be arguing the positive side of this because I watch a LOT of movies and most of them range between Disappointing and Okay, but this year has been exceptionally good for me both in terms of 2022 releases and Discovering hidden gems.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2022, 06:27:35 PM »

I want to agree with this, but so many films today are just not made well. There seems to be no spark anymore. Well, at least for me.

I understand this feeling as throughout this year I have had ups and downs on how I feel about watching movies. Even though I regularly watch bad movies (from across the years), that is as much a reflection on the low challenge movies I have been picking. Even with the bad movies I still enjoy the escape they provide, particularly when I see them at the cinema. The cinema is a wonderful comfort place for me.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2023, 03:35:53 AM »
Seven Psychopaths
In Bruges
The Banshees of Inisherin

love