Author Topic: CALVAIRE (The Ordeal)  (Read 485 times)

CALVAIRE (The Ordeal)
« on: August 25, 2015, 07:48:45 PM »
Calvaire tells the story of Marc Stevens, a (very poor) singer who finds himself lost in the woods after his van breaks down on the way to his next gig. He ends up staying overnight at a local inn, and finds that the whole area is populated by some very unusual characters indeed. The owner of the inn appreciates having Marc Stevens stay at his inn due to the fact that he appreciates being in the presence of artists. Things take an odd turn and Marc spends more time in the area than he'd like.

This film is one of cinema's true hidden gems. The story is a fantastic variation on the age-old "I'm in a strange place and just want to leave" tale, think an arthouse version of Texas Chainsaw Massacre written and directed by David Lynch and you would be right on the mark. Some wonderful photography and great experimental shots in the film as well.

Highly recommended - I've never recommended this film to anyone who didn't say they ended up adoring it.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: CALVAIRE (The Ordeal)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 08:12:03 PM »
I watched it back in 2011. I think I've watched all of the New French Extreme now. (Inside, Martyrs, Frontier(s), High Tension) You describe it almost exactly how it was sold to me, but I was not a fan. David Lynch's strangeness has a logic to it, but I couldn't find a similar strain here. Just weird for the sake of weirdness.

I should try to come up with a list of "David Lynch" type films that I think are as good. Right now I just have The Reflecting Skin and Tetsuo: The Iron Man (though that's more steampunk Cronenberg than Lynch.)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:14:24 PM by 1SO »

love