Author Topic: Greta Garbo Tour  (Read 2965 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Greta Garbo Tour
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 10:44:51 PM »
 :D

I guess he can drive. Just not very well.
"Don't be shy. You learn to fly and see the sun when day is done. If only you see."

Antares

• Elite Member
  • . . . and the pump caught in my trouser leg.
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 02:04:59 PM »
Thanks Antares, not one of my films, but I'll be looking for that one.  I'm guessing black means good? :)

Flesh and the Devil

Beep! Beep!

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 08:38:47 PM »
In anticipation of your next review, I watched this scene from Mata Hari

I hate her with everything I am, for what she made him do.
"Don't be shy. You learn to fly and see the sun when day is done. If only you see."

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 10:48:23 PM »
MATA HARI 1931-  What a twisted and dark film, beauty and seduction used to manipulate men, Greta here seems much like the dark Helga/Susan Lenox that I was expecting to emerge from her treatment in that film.  Here Mata Hari is already this seductress of great beauty, manipulating men, in particular a Russian gentleman (Lionel Barrymore) and a young Russian pilot hero (Ramon Navarro).  She uses her alluring beauty to put herself in a position to steal secrets for her mysterious German liaison officer (another familiar face from another Garbo film Lewis Stone) not caring one way or another what happens to the men and almost herself.  She tries to hide nothing, while concealing everything, 'The trick Mr. Potter is not minding that it hurts.'  She is the devil and yet our young Russian hero, in the scene above as he betrays what he holds sacred for a love he holds in the highest of esteems, sees some goodness amidst the beautiful evil.  The spark he sees is too late for any of our characters in this tale of woe, but its ending does hold some redemption.  There is something still good inside her, but we all know what happens here (Padme knows at least).  This is a good film, it wavers from unredeemable, to a woman raging against all the forces around her war, lusty, old men, the evils of her employer, and at last her own misguided heart which causes betrayal in all sorts of ways. 

I understand the sentiment Sandy to hate her, but a man who is willing to betray his own vows, his own heart has only himself to blame for the path he chooses.  There is a part he plays and in part of his betrayal, it destroys her own.  Best Garbo I've seen yet, slight edge over QUEEN CHRISTINA.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 11:12:40 PM »
NINOTCHKA  (1939)-  Cute is the first thing that came to mind as I went through this one, but silly is probably where it skews more toward.  Greta plays a Russian here and the way she portrays it reminded me for some reason of the way Arnold Schwarzenegger did in RED HEAT, speak in monotone, scary, you-will-be-destroyed way that is mildly funny at first, but again gets silly.  Garbo is fun though, and certainly one I wanted to enjoy for her silliness as she meets and somehow falls for Count Leon d'Algout (Melvyn Douglas).  The movie is a mixture of comedy and intrigue as it revolves around a set of jewels being sold in France by our special 'envoy' Ninotchka (Garbo) and 3 of her hapless compatriots.  Felix Bressart from SHOP AROUND THE CORNER is one of these men and there are a few parts, especially the scenes back in Russia which are warm and fuzzy.  But this movie has so much going on that's it hard for it to stay in one place, the intrigue of the jewels belonging to a Grand Duchess, who is also very friendly with Count Leon, and her rivalry with Ninotchka.  The romance that brews between Count Leon is like the film silly, but with likable potential.  And when our anticlimax unfolds, Count Leon does show some devotion and our ending is very cute, but ridiculous.  Sigh, my review is the same as the film all over the place and as condescending as appreciative.  Garbo does shine here, for moments, but like Arnold the dry Russian is laughable and not the good kind.  Certainly a must watch for a fan of Garbo, and definitely a film for a date night because it is cute in a romcom sort of way.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 08:09:04 AM »
I saw Ninotchka before the forum, so never wrote about it, but your words capture completely my experience with it. Some eye rolling along with just letting it be what it is. "warm and fuzzy" "laughable and not the good kind" "all over the place and as condescending as appreciative" ...  You've touched on it all!

I understand the sentiment Sandy to hate her, but a man who is willing to betray his own vows, his own heart has only himself to blame for the path he chooses.  There is a part he plays and in part of his betrayal, it destroys her own.

You're right. I know you are right. It's just... that scene is deeply upsetting. For her to take what is so instinctual in him, something he considers in his heart as undeniable love and to use that power she has over him and twist it against him, is unbearable.

Look at me getting all worked up over a movie clip from long ago!

Best Garbo I've seen yet, slight edge over QUEEN CHRISTINA.

For this alone, I should muster up the courage to see the whole thing, along with the glimpse of goodness that Rosanoff saw in her and the bit of redemption you wrote about.

Obi-Wan... there... is good in him. I know there is... still... :'( 

Yes, I'll need some courage for this movie.

Wonderful reviews!

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 09:50:31 AM »
Thanks for reading and following along Sandy.  Courage is facing the fears, but having an open minded here I think is more important.  Something I have a hard time doing often and in all things.  Yes the Padme quote, completely :)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 12:53:28 PM »
Okay, :) courage and especially an open mind it is! I can bring those things to the movie.

It looks like I have access to a copy!

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 09:23:00 PM »
THE PAINTED VEIL (1934)-  Greta never shies away from these heavy movies with dark themes of the heart.  Here we find her marrying a doctor for whom she has no love for, but he is a way out of her small life at home.  Again the easy feeling would be hate for her because she seems to be using a man for her own designs, but there is love in the doctor's heart played by Herbert Marshall.  Dr. Fane takes his new bride Katrin to China where she meets a very friendly English gentleman Jack Townsend played by George Brent.  Brent's Townsend comes off as arrogant yet irresistible to Katrin and she spends a lot of time with him, too much time.  Because her heart was lacking love, it was only natural that she finds it in the arms of another man, but as with all tragedies it unfolded badly for all.  After discovering the affair Dr. Fane demands his wife divorce him and marry Townsend otherwise she would have to accompany him further into China where a deadly cholera outbreak is ongoing.  Knowing Townsend would be ruined and unwilling to pay such a high price, Katrin returns to him heartbroken and they depart into the outbreak.  I find it her to really describe much outside of the story in this review, Greta is beautiful and our male leads are strong and different in their appearance and chemistry with Katrin.  I like this, but as quickly as I say that I find it forgettable because this story doesn't have a happy ending and it left me wanting.  I wanted there to be a better justice, or a happier ending, or something more tragic.  I wanted to despise Townsend when he refused to be ruined socially for Katrin, or for him to seek her out differently then he did.  I appreciated the anger of Dr. Fane, but he to finds a peace I'm unsatisfied with.  Writing this maybe I have something about myself I need to look at as opposed to criticizing in this film.  It was just unfulfilling, but something I enjoyed watching.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 10:12:17 PM »
Have you seen the 2006 version of The Painted Veil? There are similarities, but as Edward Norton said about the adaption,"I like to think that we didn't change the book so much as liberate it." That dissatisfaction you write about may be addressed in the newer film. So, if you want a type of closure, you could try that one. Or, just read wiki for a different take. :)