Author Topic: Greta Garbo Tour  (Read 10544 times)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
Re: Greta Garbo Tour
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2015, 03:54:37 PM »
Here is the top 10 that I've recently updated, CONQUEST would probably bump GOODFELLAS out of the top 10, but right now down to 43.  Truthfully it could replace GRAND HOTEL as the better performance for Garbo, but as a film GH is the better movie.  Easily one of my favorite romance stories of hers and one that isn't as twisted or dark (which for me aren't always bad things), but this one is a little milder than most of her movies and it plays very well.

1. THE SEARCHERS (1956)- John Ford's greatest film and my favorite film of all time.  Wayne at his best, violent and determined I love every bit of it, the cinematography, the stunts, the dialogue a fantastic film.

2. DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944)- NEW  "Straight down the line for both of us, remember?" How will I ever forget Barbara Stanwyck who I've really only known for MEET JOHN DOE and ANNIE OAKLEY, but this is a masterpiece for her, for Fred MacMurray (My Two Sons forever tainted too), for director Billy Wilder.  Even Edward G Robinson in the one of the best supporting roles I've seen EVER.  Dark and twisted, but beautiful Barbara, this movie, my own soul.  I've traveled to another world visiting this film and while I could not find it my heart to put this as #1 truly one of the greats.

3. THE GRAND HOTEL (1932)- NEW  The John Barrymore and Great Garbo film that pierced my heart and soul.  Best ensemble cast film I've ever seen, AMERICAN HUSTLE has nothing on this.  An ending that hurts so good.  As close to perfection as it gets and the most unique of all roles for Lionel Barrymore!  I wonder what Tarantino would or could do with something like this, but I'd rather not know it's too great to be redone.  And sweet, back from the dead Greta waiting at the train station, I'm familiar with that roller coaster.  Joan Crawford and John Barrymore are the stars here though, unforgettable performances.

4. THE ROYAL TENNENBAUMS (2001)- My introduction to Wes Anderson, I had heard of Bottle Rocket and Rushmore, but this was the first film of his I got to see.  I love pretty much everything he's done, but this one reminds me of some fun, back in the day times.

5. INTERSTELLAR (2014)- NEW  Fantastic work of science fiction with some real ideas about blackholes and great shots of theoretical views of what you might see approaching one.  I appreciate the science Nolan tries to present and one particular scene on the first planet left me afraid and wanting to know more.  Great cast and the humor with the robots was quite funny, I mean wouldn't a scientist and fighter jock find the banter humorous?  One for the ages.

6. GOODFELLAS (1990)- Easily one of the greatest gangster films (I apologize because I know Cagney and Robinson have some great ones I love Key Largo in particular, but this is one of my favorites) ever and I love Scorsese.

7. PULP FICTION (1994)- Like John Ford, Quentin Tarantino is one of my favorite directors and I've seen this one a hundred times.  Vince Vega and Jules Winfield's dialogue is so classic, see the foot massage scene LOL.

8. HAROLD AND MAUDE (1971)- I guess as you can see I have a thing for weird/dark love stories and this is about as classic as you can get.  Bud Cort is just awesome, it was really funny to see him years later in Wes Anderson's A Life Aquatic.  Great actor in a beautiful film with great music.

9. PRIDE OF THE YANKEES (1942)- As I'm sure the few people who know me here know I'm a huge sports fan and I had to include at least one baseball movie in my top ten.  This is a fantastic movie with Babe Ruth playing himself!  A couple of other Yankees also made appearances and Gary Cooper is really good as the doomed Lou Gehrig.

10. THE HORSE'S MOUTH (1958)- I love Alec Guiness even outside of his seminal role as Obi-Wan Kenobi.  This was a close second to The Bridge On the River Kwai and Doctor Zhivago.  He was just an unbelievable actor and playing a crazy, strangely demented painter was just one of my favorites ever for Alec.

43. CONQUEST (1937) NEW- One of Garbo's best and as always an amazing Charles Boyer performance as Napoleon.  This could easily be a top 10 film, Garbo is gorgeous in this and she doesn't just play a mistress, she is THE mistress.  Worthy of being a queen, a bittersweet love story with some history in the background.  Not quite the powerful performance of MATA HARI, but absolutely at the peak of her beauty.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 03:56:08 PM by colonel_mexico »
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2015, 05:39:26 PM »
The Horse's Mouth survived! :)) I was hoping it would. You told me it would teach me about the mind of an artist and the true nature of beauty. It did! I'm grateful that you had recommended this film.

Roman, Tenderness and Texas Chainsaw Massacre are elsewhere now, but I'm sure not forgotten.

Interstellar! I remember now you saying it had made your top 10. Because it's there, I think it's very fitting that I had Coheed and Cambria running through my head as I was trying to write a review. :)

http://letterboxd.com/sandy/film/interstellar/

It's a great addition to your list!

Double Indemnity came out of nowhere, but doesn't surprise me in the least, that it made it's way onto your list.

As for Garbo, I'm not sure I could choose between Grand Hotel, Mata Hari and Conquest, for they're each their own thing, but just the same -- Epiphany movies, that floored me. I don't even know what to do with them, in regards with my own top 100. I think subsequent viewings will help.

I've yet to see The Royal Tennenbaums, Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas. Someday though and in that order. :)

Thanks so much for showing me the update. It's a fascinating top 10!

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2015, 05:47:04 PM »
What a cool review!  Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you got to explore more C&C.  Welcome Home is beautifully brutal I love it.  Another favorite I posted below for fun.  Yes I've saved all my Greta movies to explore again, perhaps during my break, I'm smitten and the stories are right up my alley. 

Neverender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVVZ5RgIc2M
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2015, 07:02:16 PM »
I've got this on repeat. :)

As I'm listening, I'm reading more about the story behind it. Very complex and I still don't understand it all, but the idea of letters/self reflection, submerged in heavy metaphors, works for me! The words I like the most are, "point your gun in another direction..." (Claudio telling Newo to try and not blame herself) and "I'll be bigger." (Growing, becoming). Even not trying to figure it out, just listening to the song, there is a lot of emotion it evokes.

Thanks so much! These guys really know how to seep in, don't they? 

Garbo for Christmas break! What a great present to yourself. :)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2020, 01:00:55 AM »
The Saga Of Gosta Berling (1924)- I finally got around to this one recommend by MartinTeller, it is quite an incredible piece of cinema.  The music is so amazing, many of the shots felt like a PT Anderson film with the world falling apart in a beautiful cacophony of violins and contrabass.  I am unfamiliar with the history of this story, a Swedish legend brought to life that hit the major themes of the stupid pride of the aristocracy and the unnecessary destruction of beautiful lives for the sake of a nobleman's pride.  Gosta Berling (Hans Larsen) is a fallen priest who is defrocked after calling out the glaring hypocrisy of all those around him.  But he too a victim of his pride and vanity (and a penchant for tipping  a cup), usually causing more harm than good. 

Greta Garbo's role is strongest in the last hour, her silent roles are her more powerful ones just because her presence is so alluring and overpowering its hard to tell if she's this incredible beauty or an evil temptress (in other roles moreso).  Here she is torn apart by her inner self, something shared by all of the main characters.  Lady Ekeby (Gerda Lundequist) is also very good and she has one particular scene where she helps her mother grind something, just one half turn to complete the circle, having come round the prophecy and curse of wrongs of the past finally coming to fruition.  There are many great shots like this, Greta in the flower garden in spring, the prettiest flower wilting on the vine; the wolves giving deadly chase across the thin ice; the burning of Ekeby.  This is more of a Larsen film than Garbo, his flawed nature reckless and pretty selfish before he eventually makes amends, steals most of the drama.  I wonder if Larsen and Garbo did more together, I'm more familiar with her work and John Gilbert.  Still, they are beautiful together, each vying for the more intense expression of unrequited passion. 

The music is the best part though, and interestingly on a side note, I found a Swedish band called Gosta Berlings Saga (not the soundtrack which I was searching for) who are actually really good for a spacey prog-rock no-vocals band.  Sweeping epic, gorgeously shot, a bit long, but very worth it. Garbo at her finest.

love