love

Poll

If you're the only one standing in your section at a concert:

Sit down. I don't want people to get mad.
8 (80%)
Remain standing. It's a concert. And I PAID for these tickets
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Concert etiquette 101: To stand or not to stand....  (Read 6916 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Concert etiquette 101: To stand or not to stand....
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 12:00:04 PM »
Intermittent dancing? Is that like robot dancing? You move and then stop for a few seconds? That sounds a bit fascist. Separating the robot dancers. Give em badges in case they try to move!

Maybe they could hand out the mobile number of the people sitting in front of you, when you buy a ticket. You can phone and ask them if they intend to dance at all. You could swap seats! The dancers would slowly drift toward the back!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:02:55 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 12:05:37 PM »
It raises another question. Do you know before you go to a gig whether you will definitely dance or not? Do people know they have no intention of moving? Doesn't music move you without you intentionally wanting to dance?
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 12:10:04 PM »
Intermittent dancing? Is that like robot dancing? You move and then stop for a few seconds? That sounds a bit fascist. Separating the robot dancers. Give em badges in case they try to move!

fascism/smashism! It's all free spirited, but intermittent is irregular intervals, so that constitutes awkward dancing, which robot dancing is a sub set.

Maybe they could hand out the mobile number of the people sitting in front of you, when you buy a ticket. You can phone and ask them if they intend to dance at all. You could swap seats! The dancers would slowly drift toward the back!

:D

Sounds like a plan. If I were dancing, I'd want to congregate to the other dancers.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 12:12:11 PM »
It raises another question. Do you know before you go to a gig whether you will definitely dance or not? Do people know they have no intention of moving? Doesn't music move you without you intentionally wanting to dance?

I went to a concert once with someone that had no interest in moving or letting the music move him. Such a waste, 'cause it was a fantastic concert.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 12:42:15 PM »
We'd dance S.  ;D

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 03:22:45 PM »
:))

What was the funnest concert you've been to?

...this is a good question to everyone.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 03:40:13 PM »
Maybe Walk the Moon at The Basement. It was my 4th time seeing them, and each of their concerts is really fun and high energy, but there was just something about the venue that made it awesome. It was right before they hit it real big with "Shut Up and Dance", and The Basement is exactly what it sounds like. This tiny room that packs in maybe 100-200 people if it's lucky. Because it was so small and before they hit it real big, they had no obligation other than to have a great time.

I think my second favorite would be The Lone Bellow, also at The Basement ironically enough. Now, I do have sentiment swaying me to mention this one, as it was my girlfriend and I's first date two years ago. But again, the intimacy of the venue, and the fact that they broke out a 90s R&B cover medley was pretty awesome too. Really passionate, high energy band for they style of Americana Folk Rock too.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 05:30:27 PM »
The Bootleg Beatles at The Leadmill, Sheffield. It at Christmas time, I was 18 and had just started working at this company and a bunch of us went on a Christmas booze up around Sheffield and ended up at The Leadmill and the Bootleg Beatles were playing. And they were so CINECASTING good, amazing.

They started of with the mop top stuff and went through the albums complete with costume changes. And they had all the band interplay and all the quotes "Those in the cheapseats clap your hands and the rest just rattle your jewellry." and everything ;D

Desmond Decker played at The Leadmill a week later and he was pretty darn good too!

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 06:14:09 PM »
A toss up between TMV at the Austin Music Hall or A Perfect Circle at the Frank Erwin Center.  James Iha had long white hair when he jammed with APC.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 06:14:55 PM »
Here's a good standard:

A. Look behind you...is there a seat?
B. If yes, use it. If no, dance away.

A lot of venues I've been at have large areas with no seats and very limited seating. Obviously there shouldn't be an issue here. But if it is a venue with seats, that area is for sitting, unless it is the time when everyone's crying for an encore or giving a standing ovation. Maybe even the first song when everyone's greeting the artist.

On the other hand, I hate standing for long periods of time. One concert I went to involved standing for four hours and then three days later my knee broke (it has been hurting prior to the concert, finally gave after...don't think the concert helped anything). The next concert I definitely got to sit because I was on crutches.