Author Topic: Dec MDC Write-ups  (Read 29684 times)

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
Re: Dec MDC Write-ups
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2009, 12:52:28 PM »
This could have been a fantastic look at a society that forces children to act with wisdom they don’t have or how this subculture is more than willing to screw over kids. And while this film touches on both it isn’t really about anything. All it’s really about is following this kid through this curious and interesting lifestyle, but we aren’t given a reason to care.

Here, you're contradicting yourself.
Not really, because the film doesn't develop those ideas, it just touches on them. For instance there are only scene where that idea is even touched upon is when he realizes he's been screwed over.

No, the film is completely and utterly about those ideas, and nothing else - every scene is a invocation of that theme, from the opening shot of Ale lining up with a group of men for work onwards. It's the not the film that didn't develop those ideas, it's you who just touched upon them and then sat back, not caring, because it wasn't entertaining you enough with more plot contrivances.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2016, 05:19:19 AM »

In Bruges  (Martin McDonagh, 2008)

Grade: F—k you, that's my grade.

pixote

This is absolutely outstanding - I mean, completely wrong and misguided, but still outstanding. pixote, why don't you write these longer reviews anymore ? Do you need special inspiration ?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2016, 01:08:34 PM »
pixote, why don't you write these longer reviews anymore ? Do you need special inspiration ?

They still pop up occasionally (The Matrix inspired some long-form musings a few months back; and La roue just before that), but, yeah, inspiration. Plus, the Far East resurrections have been my predominant focus lately, in terms of reviews, and the shorter format seems more appropriate there, I think.

Thank you, by the way.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2016, 02:18:10 PM »
I also just noticed that that used to be my avatar, so, you know, props on the good taste.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/