Author Topic: The Top 100 Club (Sept 2015 - May 2017)  (Read 81256 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Re: The Top 100 Club
« Reply #3430 on: June 01, 2017, 03:26:40 PM »

I've had kind of a weird month, I started A Man for All Seasons, and I just couldn't get into it, tried to stream Dawn of the Dead, but the quality was so bad it was distracting, so I finally settled on The Life of Brian because it had been many, many years since I first saw it.  I will have a review up this evening.

The Life of Brian (Terry Jones, 1979)

After struggling to find the right film to watch I settled on The Life of Brian, mainly because I had seen it many, many years ago, and I didn't connect with it the way I had with The Holy Grail or Time Bandits or The Flying Circus. I figured that being older I may have missed something in my youth.   Unfortunately, it still didn't resonate for me.  I found the humor lacking and not as prominent as in the other films/shows I mentioned.  There seemed to be long lulls without a laugh and a lot of screeching by the men portraying women in the film.  I wish this one was a redemption watch for me, but sadly it wasn't.  I'm sorry Teproc that I wasn't able to find a film to connect with this month.  I promise the next go round, I will make time for two films on your list. 

Don't worry about it.  ;)

I don't think it's necessarily that surprising that you could have trouble with Life of Brian while enjoying Holy Grail a lot more. The latter is much closer to Monty Python's roots in sketch comedy, and perhaps funnier overall (though there is still sketch-like stuff like the People's Front of Judea/Judea's People Front)... but where I personally connect to Life of Brian more is that it's much more of a coherent film, a pointed satire of religion, and yet another film that I find to be elevated by a perfect musical ending.

The ending is perfect.  I like your explanation of how it works better for you as a film, I totally see that.  :)
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #3431 on: June 01, 2017, 04:00:13 PM »
ses, I am afraid marriage between us shall never be possible.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #3432 on: June 01, 2017, 04:03:24 PM »
ses, I am afraid marriage between us shall never be possible.

I like pretty much everything else Monty Python!  The Life of Brian just doesn't work for me.  My husband felt the same, so I guess I picked the right one.   ;D
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #3433 on: June 02, 2017, 01:48:49 AM »
The Wall

"A fortress, steep and mighty, that none may penetrate"  -- Paul Simon

"The story of my life is about back entrances, side doors, secret elevators and other ways of getting in and out of places so that people won't bother me." -- Greta Garbo

"Mothers are all slightly insane." -- J. D. Salinger

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." -- Wizard of Oz

"I suppose he had a private sort of greatness, but he kept it to himself." -- Jedediah Leland

"I'm disappearing, avoiding most things." -- Syd Barrett

"It's crazy how you can get yourself in a mess sometimes and not even be able to think about it with any sense and yet not be able to think about anything else." --Stanley Kubrick

"Terror made me cruel." -- Emily Bronte

"The horror not to be surveyed, but skirted in the dark. With consciousness suspended and being under lock" -- Emily Dickinson

I don't know what to do really, except throw quotes, like spaghetti, at The Wall and see if anything sticks. I hurl them while watching the scenes play out. Pasta quotes aren't particularly forceful, but it's better I throw words than furniture around. Agitation and despair mix, as I try and make sense of this movie and the only thing reassuring is I'm gathering all these songs I've heard along the way and am finally finding their correct place and purpose. Unfracturing a fractured story is saying something!

I could talk about how we inherit building materials and pick up so many more along the way, enough so we all could be expert masons, if we really wanted to. Or I could ask, what keeps us from imploding, or what pulls us out of self imposed isolation? But instead, I'll take a cue from the diminutive clean up crew at the end of the film and throw one more strand up and see if it has sticking power, "Every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main." -- John Dunne. To forget this is at the risk of peril, both personally and globally.
"Inside you there's a strength that lies."

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #3434 on: June 02, 2017, 02:29:05 AM »
What a wonderful set of bricks!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #3435 on: June 02, 2017, 04:09:19 AM »
Sandy.. though you don't know what to do, I love what you did.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #3436 on: June 02, 2017, 12:00:03 PM »
Thank you, oldkid and jdc!

After learning, while being here on the forum, how much this group and this movie is loved, I felt wholly intimidated about this task. You're making me feel much better. :)
"Inside you there's a strength that lies."