love

Author Topic: The Top 100 Club (Sept 2015 - May 2017)  (Read 329210 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
The Top 100 Club (Sept 2015 - May 2017)
« on: August 29, 2015, 11:36:29 PM »
We all love to turn people on to our favorite movies.  That's what this club is about.  Here are the rules:

1. Have a list. It should have at least 50, and no more than 300. It need not be ranked or a true top films list. Just some list of films you want people to pick from when your month is featured. Please post a link to your list (to another post on the forum or to an external website) in this thread or PM it to me (Bondo) when you join or if you want to change the list you are linked to and I will keep track below.

2. The order of the first rotation was randomly determined.  New joiners will be placed at the end of the current round. Once you have your turn in a round, you are added to the list for the next round.

3. When your top 100 is up in the rotation, every other participant must watch and review a film from your top list that they haven't seen before, and they must do so within a month.  Participants are free to choose whatever film they want -- or if you prefer, you can ask for a dictation -- but it should be something new to you.  Make it a movie you've always wanted to see, or one you've never heard of, or one you've been avoiding for some reason.

4. If a participant does not post a review within the allotted month, his or her top 100 list gets knocked down one spot in the rotation.  If you miss three reviews in a row, you are taken out of the rotation entirely and must participate again (by watching and reviewing) before you are allowed back in.

5. Be respectful.  You can write a scathing, negative review, but please don't denigrate someone else's tastes while doing it.

This month: See HERE for future months.

Upcoming:

1. chardy999
2. Sam the Cinema Snob
3. pixote
4. Knocked Out Loaded
5. Jeff Schroeck**
6. DarkeningHumour*
7. StarCarly**
8. Dave the Necrobumper

Round 4
1. jdc
2. oldkid
3. Junior*
4. ses
5. MartinTeller
6. Sandy
7. PeacefulAnarchy
8. 1SO
9. Bondo

Round 1 Review Index:

ses
Junior
smirnoff
oldkid
MartinTeller
ArmenianScientist
Jared
Sandy
PeacefulAnarchy
Antares
LukeRobot
1SO
BlueVoid
Bondo
Eldog
ueno_station54
The Deer Hunter
tinyholidays
Sam the Cinema Snob
sdb_1970
Corndog

Round 2 Review Index:

Junior
jdc
pixote
dheaton
ses
smirnoff
oldkid
MartinTeller
Sandy
PeacefulAnarchy
1SO
Bondo
Eldog
chardy999
Knocked Out Loaded
Jeff Schroeck
Teproc
DarkeningHumour
Corndog

Round 3 Review Index:
Junior
tinyholidays
jdc
oldkid
ses
MartinTeller
Sandy
PeacefulAnarchy
1SO
Bondo
Teproc
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 03:33:37 PM by pixote »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: The Top 100 Club (v2)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 11:42:58 PM »
This thread is for participation in the club starting September 2015. If you still have something to post related to Sandy's month, please post it here.

This month we focus on PeacefulAnarchy's list.

A lot of choices for me here, going to a couple from the following including definitely watching the bolded ones.:
…No Lies
Vagabond

Letter Never Sent
The Raven (1943)
Straw Dogs
A Man and a Woman
Johnny Got His Gun
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:45:36 PM by Bondo »

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 12:08:46 AM »
The first two are definitely good picks for you, and while Straw Dogs could go either way it will certainly elicit a reaction and I'd be interested to read your take on it. The other four I'm less sure about. They all have things I could see appealing to you if they catch you right, but Letter Never Sent, A Man and a Woman, and Johnny Got His Gun all have (different) dominant stylistic components that I could see not working out.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 12:51:20 AM »
PA, from your Top 100 I have not seen...
A Summer's Tale 1996 (a.k.a. Conte d'été)
I for India 2005
A Raisin in the Sun 1961
Black Rain 1989 
Summer 1986 (a.k.a. Le rayon vert)

I aim to stick with the rules and watch one of these, but I'm not sure which is best for me. However, on ICM you have a Top 250 posted, and from there I would like to see...
108 Van Gogh 1991
193 Police, Adjective 2009
213 Clean Slate 1981 — a.k.a. Coup de torchon
216 Cross of Iron 1977
231 No Way Out 1950

...and perhaps some more. (I'm 225/250). Since I have your list at the ready, I was going to make it my theme for the month.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 01:16:03 AM »
The top 250 on ICM is the same list as the Top 250 on imdb, so you'd still be sticking to the rules if you don't watch any of the Top 100 ones.

From the top 100 you have listed
The two Rohmer films: What Rohmer films have you seen? He's my favourite director so it's hard for me to be objective here. I think you should like these films, but that's mostly a gut feeling.
I for India: This is a very personal film, both as a film and as to why it's in my top 100. It would not be my first choice to recommend to anyone unless I knew the very specific themes of immigration, distance, staggered communication and cultural isolation would resonate with them.
A Raisin in the Sun: How do you feel about unabashedly stagey films? If you're ok with with that then this is a good choice, otherwise it may not.
Black Rain: This is the most conventional of the group (relatively speaking) so probably a good bet.

From the other group I think you'd like all those except maybe Police, Adjective. That one has some unique pacing and could be hit or miss.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 02:24:57 AM »
Haven't seen:

Dance, Girl, Dance   
The Singing Detective
Head-On
Salvador   
Missing   
Cross of Iron
Good Bye Lenin!
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
The Power of Nightmares: The Rise of the Politics of Fear
Flesh and the Devil
Hail the Conquering Hero
Kingdom of Heaven
The Crow
Deux jours, une nuit
Maynila: Sa mga kuko ng liwanag
C'était un rendez-vous
The Decisive Moment
Angano... Angano...

Gonna be kind of a crazy month for me, but I'll try to get to something.  I already have Two Days One Night on hold at the library, it's possible that will come in before the month is up.  Otherwise, maybe Flesh and the Devil or some of the shorter films.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 02:35:56 AM »
It has gotten very hard for me to get my hands on movies so I do not know what I will be able to watch. I do have Kiki's Delivery Service on me at the moment as well as Two Days One Night possibly so I will be able to meet the month's requirement. I will try to get something from the Top 100 though.

I love that you have Garden State on there.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 05:46:22 AM »
I enjoy reading along, but have proven that I am not getting reviews done, so I will just be a stalker in this.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 06:33:48 AM »
A lot of films I want to see on that list, but the two that immediately jump out to me are Léon and Hotaru no Haka (aka Grave of the Fireflies), and those should be pretty easy to find.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 07:54:52 AM »
Thanks for the guidance.
I liked Rohmer when I was in college - Claire's Knee was a favorite - but recent attempts have not been interesting.
I like stagey films. By that I mean, I don't like them as a rule, but there are a lot of favorites that fit within that category. (Have I mentioned The Boys in the Band? Because I will again next month.)

I made a Private list on Letterboxd of the films I haven't seen, and as I was entering the titles I noticed a number of them I have scattered around various Watchlists, mostly as titles I should watch but don't necessarily want to. The truth we both know is that we don't often see eye-to-eye on films, but with such a variety I'm hoping the search will yield a success or two. That is why I wanted to theme your list and not just pick a couple of safe bets.

love