love

Author Topic: Streaming  (Read 17324 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Streaming
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2022, 08:14:01 AM »
I got a Criterion Channel subscription for the next year so that should motivate me to watch films, especially since they have much more of the films I actually want to watch these days.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2022, 10:11:31 PM »
Went searching through the EXTRAS on Disney Animated Films and found a gem under Beauty & the Beast called Menken & Friends: 25 Years of Musical Inspiration. It's a 20-minute conversation between Alan Menken, Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Robert Lopez, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Stephen Schwartz.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2022, 10:14:45 PM »
Oooo, that sounds good. I'll have to check it out

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2022, 10:26:54 PM »
I got a Criterion Channel subscription for the next year so that should motivate me to watch films, especially since they have much more of the films I actually want to watch these days.

This is Criterion and MUBI for me.

When I move back to Michigan, I'm getting rid of a lot of streaming services that I keep right now because my dad lives with me and watches them. I'm keeping Criterion, MUBI, and probably adding whatever I need to see the EPL, if I don't have to pay too much (likely Sling Blue + Peacock Premium).

It's unbelievable to me that I have to shell out so much money to get Bally Sports Arizona in order to watch local sports. It's either DIRECTV Stream ($90/month) or cable. I want to watch the Pistons and Tigers when I get to Michigan, but am not about to pay premium rates for it. Don't know if I can say this here, but I'm at the point of finding, ummm, less above-board methods of watching sports. May get NBA LP Team Pass for the Suns to keep up with this current generation of players, with whom I've grown an affinity.

Right now, I maintain accounts with Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu, HBO MAX (through DIRECTV Stream, one of the perks of that massively expensive service), and Apple TV+, and hardly use them. They all (with DTV Stream) got to go.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #154 on: January 18, 2022, 05:12:14 PM »
I need Drive My Car to come to streaming because the idea of sitting in a theater for a subtitled 180 minute movie seems slightly painful.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #155 on: January 18, 2022, 07:19:03 PM »
I need Drive My Car to come to streaming because the idea of sitting in a theater for a subtitled 180 minute movie seems slightly painful.

I had to Virtual Theater Wheel Of Fortune and was able to (mostly) get through it at home in one sitting without distraction, but wished I would have been able to see it theatrically. Figure I'm the opposite of you on this one. I skipped Drive My Car at the film fest because it was supposed to be getting a theatrical release, and got back to Philly when it did start playing. Having it be subtitled and so long basically meant I had to get to the theaters for it so I could focus on only the film.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #156 on: January 18, 2022, 08:42:55 PM »

I had to Virtual Theater Wheel Of Fortune and was able to (mostly) get through it at home in one sitting without distraction, but wished I would have been able to see it theatrically. Figure I'm the opposite of you on this one. I skipped Drive My Car at the film fest because it was supposed to be getting a theatrical release, and got back to Philly when it did start playing. Having it be subtitled and so long basically meant I had to get to the theaters for it so I could focus on only the film.

This is why I need the theater. Even if I'm highly motivated to watch something, I'm too easily distracted. The more captive, the better.

I actually downloaded an app called Focus, which encourages me to stay focused by basically shaming me for not staying focused (usually on a movie) for the duration of time to which I've committed. I'm pretty sure this is nothing innovative, but it has actually helped.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2022, 07:24:27 PM »
The actual watching a movie I'd be okay with, as I typically just set my phone to airplane mode and turn off wi-fi. The issues I have is that you never know when the dog will start barking, or have to go out, or the internet will randomly decide to shit itself, etc.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #158 on: January 20, 2022, 06:11:43 AM »
The actual watching a movie I'd be okay with, as I typically just set my phone to airplane mode and turn off wi-fi. The issues I have is that you never know when the dog will start barking, or have to go out, or the internet will randomly decide to shit itself, etc.

Basically this. My phone is not usually a distraction, I can leave it upstairs to charge or to the side without checking it.  But the dog can be a huge distraction.  She may bark at other dogs out in the front yard or she jumps up on my Center speaker and barks at the screen whenever there is a fight or gun shots. 

I almost upgraded my Center speaker years ago to match my R/L but it would have been a more traditional wood speaker and would get damaged.  I kept the Center from my previous set of speakers cause it has a metal frame and pretty much damage proof
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #159 on: January 20, 2022, 06:54:37 AM »
When nature calls, better to pause than miss a few minutes.

love