love

Author Topic: Streaming  (Read 17363 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Streaming
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2020, 08:17:06 PM »
I hadn't done it before but I decided to pay the $19/yr for Letterboxd Pro and man is that the best investment I've made. It give you access to increased streaming availability options via JustWatch. Now, JustWatch is free and I could go over there and search for everything, but since I curate my watchlist on Letterboxd, it is a massive improvement to be able to just filter my watchlist by my streaming services. Of my 170 or so films half are available to stream (inclusive of Amazon rentals) including maybe 30-40 that are free to stream between Netflix, Hulu, Prime and Kanopy.

Recently I also jumped back in with the annual prime subscription and that paid off because it was by far the best at having films from my watchlist.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2020, 08:27:48 PM »
JustWatch is great, but boy it really burns me once in a while when it it mixes up films with the same title (or sometimes even a complete different title). I can't remember what it was recently, but I was so pumped to watch it. Just sat down, had my snacks ready, a beer, aaaaaaand it wasn't what the poster showed at all, it was actually some ancient made for tv thing that nobody has ever heard of. I only recall this ever happening with titles off Prime though so it could be their fault more than JustWatch.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2020, 08:36:21 PM »
There are some discrepancies with Kanopy though that may be more with my library's agreement with Kanopy not opening up the whole library. But yeah, it isn't perfect, but definitely helpful.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2020, 06:40:55 PM »
Just got an email from PFS that's advertising a 'digital theater' where you can rent (looks like prices are all about $12) different films for a certain number of days. Or to watch within a certain period of days? Not entirely sure how it works, but it's weird because there's language within each link (especially the Kino Lorber one) that anything spent will support the theaters and urges people to not just rent if it's not your local theater and instead wait until it gets to your market if it's not there in this capacity already. I know a number of other things have hit digital earlier lately (probably going to spend the $10 for Downhill this weekend, tbh, though that Nic Cage film from earlier in the year is up for rent as well), but they've all been pretty 'big' releases. The ones being touted here a much smaller in scale and all foreign language, with some standouts being Bacurau, Corpus Christi, Zombi Child, and The Whistlers (FLY didn't like that one when he saw it at PFF last year, I missed out on Bacurau due to my poor scheduling, but heard that one is mostly nuts/good). Think there was some other dumb music doc or something that was playing at my local SoJo AMC before they all got shuttered. Might be another thing too, unsure.

Has anyone else heard anything similar or gotten emails from local cinema newsletter lists about these digital theaters? All of these things were already released in NY/LA, at the very least, Corpus might even have gotten to Philly before the shutdowns for a little, so it's in line with everything that isn't Trolls 2. My AMC A List wouldn't work for the majority of these though, which makes me kind of interested, even if I would typically hit the first show on Saturdays to cut it down to like $8 at the theater itself. Might be worth poking around if people are looking for things to see this weekend and don't think the prices are too much for a rental, definite nice alternative to all the 'big thangz' being offered by larger studios, and a good option to keep my 2020 list chugging along. And supporting your local theater? As far as I know the links in the email I got work for anyone, and I'm sure the PFS wouldn't mind money from all over the country, but maybe others in or around big cities have this option too?

In other streaming news, Daniel Isn't Real is finally on CINECAST!ing Shudder, so I'll probs watch that soon.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2020, 06:46:32 PM »
I did Virtual Theatre for Saint Frances last weekend and am planning to do Sorry We Missed You this weekend.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2020, 08:33:32 PM »
Is that what they were through? I was poking around on the Oscilloscope website directly. Kino seems to have an app, so hopefully it works well on a Roku integrated TV, I'm eager to give it a try. Just have to decide which of the three to go with.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2020, 02:12:18 AM »
What's a good site to check where something is streaming? I find JustWatch to be inconsistent.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2020, 07:00:26 PM »
Onward is now on Disney Plus, for those who didn't see it theatrically. It's good Pixar!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2020, 07:35:22 PM »
Also, they announced today something I predicted before the pandemic, though I'm sure that's why led Disney to this decision:

Artemis Fowl will no longer get a theatrical release. It will premiere on Disney+

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2020, 09:11:32 PM »
That's a shame as I was interested in that film, the only Disney film I was curious about this year.