love

Author Topic: Shocktober Group Marathon 2015  (Read 46338 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2015
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 08:46:32 AM »
Going with the broad definition that includes Thrillers to include a few others that I need to get watched. Probably won't get to all of these.

24 Exposures
The 39 Steps
ABCs of Death 2
Beyond The Hills
Cop Car
Crash (1996)
Dead Ringers
Dracula (1931)
John Dies at the End
Moebius
Mystery Road
The Omen (1976)
[REC] 4: Apocalipsis
Starry Eyes
V/H/S/: Viral
Witching & Bitching
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:52:03 AM by Bondo »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 11:09:10 AM »
Bondo Selections
24 Exposures - I'm pro-Swanberg and have been interested in this despite the mostly negative reviews.
The 39 Steps - liked it the fist time I watched it, really didn't like it on a re-watch
ABCs of Death 2 - will probably watch it one day but in no rush
Beyond The Hills - 1960 or 2012 because I'm not sure either one is Horror
Cop Car - okay. Interesting outside the box pick.
Crash (1996) - Prepare yourself for the pace, but the subject matter is up your alley
Dead Ringers - YES!!! You will have something to say on this one.
Dracula (1931)
John Dies at the End - when you're looking for something fun
Moebius - I wait for your review before deciding to watch this
Mystery Road - This looks great. I hope it is.
The Omen (1976) - Classic.
[REC] 4: Apocalipsis - I gave up on this series
Starry Eyes - Most 'on the fence' title for me. Anxiously await your review.
V/H/S/: Viral - Don't listen to Junior. One good story, and it comes up fairly early.
Witching & Bitching - Great fun, but I feel like you're going to hate it. Don't know why.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 11:36:10 AM »
Always listen to Junior.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 12:40:17 PM »
Beyond The Hills is the 2012 Romanian film. I hear things get a little weird so I'm rounding it up. Plus a marathon may be the only thing to get me to accept its 150 minute runtime.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 01:14:15 PM »
I'd count that one.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 01:31:57 PM »
Starry Eyes (2014)

The film is nominally about the way the film industry uses the allure of stardom to use women up, partly by forcing competition against each other. To the degree that it actually succeeds at this, it is very on the nose. The bulk however is kind of rambling body horror, sans metaphor, and becomes rather detestable morally. While the horror genre often uses making things extreme an asset to message, here the message gets lost to its extremes like introducing occult elements.

F

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 02:30:31 PM »
You've named why I'm interested in the film followed by why it's not on my watchlist. From what I've heard the execution is lacking a clear vision or a sense of skill, and that's understating it.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 09:27:09 PM »

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)

Here's a film whose lasting reputation seems to be built on random bits of trivia. It's one of the few slasher films from before Halloween opened and busted the sub-genre wide open. Among the cast are veteran character actor Ben Johnson and Dawn Wells, who played Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island. (That's her in the screenshot.) It's based on a true story about a serial killer who was never officially caught or killed. They do a good job of playing up that he's still out there... somewhere. That makes this also an early prototype for Zodiac, had Zodiac been made on a low budget and forced to come in under 90 minutes.

There just isn't much to what's on screen. A guy kills some people. The police can't find him because there's nothing left behind in the form of clues. A narrator reminds you that this all really happened in a small Arkansas town. He says that many of the police spent the rest of their lives trying to catch the killer, or find proof that he was caught or killed, but I don't see how there's enough to go on here to occupy that much of a person's free time. He killed and then he stopped. There's no interesting psychological angle, no surprise twists.
MY RATING: * *

- moments of scariness, and that's being lenient

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »
The Girl in Black Stockings

A whodunnit thriller with some horror and film noir aspects. Horror in that the murders are fairly brutal for what they'd typically show back in this time period. Noir because of the look.

This one was not very good despite Marie Windsor and Anne Bancroft, both of who I am a huge fan of. When the corpse of a beautiful young woman is found, abandoned after a violent murder, all of the patrons and employees of a Utah resort are suspects. John Dehner plays the cowboy hat wearing sheriff, who investigates the crime.

Even at 75 minutes this one is really a slog. The investigation is just so boring (and as a result, it was eventually confusing because I didn't care), and the violence, which is actually done pretty well, is too infrequent to keep you hooked in. There are a ton of interesting characters with interesting gimmicks/hooks that you'd like to explore a bit in a better movie, but the direction and script just make them all so boring. 

- not at all scary

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 01:01:34 PM »

love