love

Author Topic: Top 5 Mission: Impossible films  (Read 4393 times)

Teproc

• Elite Member
Re: Top 5 Mission: Impossible films
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 02:23:25 PM »
Necro-ing this because I went to the premiere of the new Mission: Impossible a few days ago (well, the premiere was in Paris, but I got to see the film in IMAX anyway - it's good by the way, though not the second coming of Fury Road as some might have you believe), so I decided to catch up on the series. I'd seen Rogue Nation in theaters and was pretty certain I had seen one or two of the previous ones before (though definitely not Ghost Protocol), but couldn't be sure which. Now that I've watched them all, I don't think I had seen any in full before Rogue Nation. Anyway, my ranking:

1. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation
2. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
3. Mission: Impossible
4. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
5. Mission: Impossible III
6. Mission: Impossible II

Obviously I quite like the direction the franchise has taken under McQuarrie, and generally I would say the less a MI film asks us to invest in Tom Cruise as a character, the better it works for me. The original film is similarly dry and setpiece-focused and only kinda loses me when helicopters start flying in tunnels, III and Ghost Protocol want us to be much more invested in Michelle Monahan than Cruise's performance can convince us to be, and II is horribly written but truly great at times (like the opening sequence in Monument Valley).
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 05:35:38 PM »
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 09:08:27 PM »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 03:18:13 AM »
I just want to make sure I understand. These movies all have the exact same plot, right? Ethan Hunt is accused to be a double agent and has to go underground to find out who the real traitor is.

I've seen at least 4 but can't differentiate between any of them and barely remember the last one at all.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 07:53:33 AM »
I just want to make sure I understand. These movies all have the exact same plot, right? Ethan Hunt is accused to be a double agent and has to go underground to find out who the real traitor is.

I've seen at least 4 but can't differentiate between any of them and barely remember the last one at all.

The way you can distinguish them is through the big setpieces mostly, where they take place and their directors styles.

The first one has the Langley heist, with Cruise having to access a computer on a wire and he can't touch the ground or drop anything. Also there's a big TGV setpiece. Jean Reno, Emmanuelle Béart and Jon Voight are involved. Takes place in Prague and London.

II is the John Woo one, with Thandie Newton and more importantly doves, a lot of them. It opens with Cruise climbing in MOnuments Valley and when he gets on top, a helicopter comes in and some guy literally shoots his mission at him (in the form of self-destructing glasses). THen it's mostly in AUstralia, and it's very John Woo.

III is the J.J. Abrams one, with PSH as a villain and all of a sudden Ethan Hunt has a wife (Michelle Monaghan) who doesn't know about his real job and gets abducted, because of course. The big setpiece is on a bridge (with rockets being thrown at Hunt & Co., among other things), and the film also involves Keri Russell, Laurence Fishburne and Simon Pegg, who sticks around for the next ones. The ending is in Shanghai, with Hunt jumping from a tower to a next, because of course.

Ghost Protocol is the one with the Burj Khalifa sequence. Also Léa Seydoux, and some silly stuff in India at the end.

Rogue Nation is the one with the Vienna opera sequence and the one where he has to stay underwater for an eternity. Rebecca Ferguson is there, and most of it is in London and gets back to the more spy-roots of the first film, though it's still all about the setpieces of course.

Letterbox'd

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »
The wife comes out of nowhere and then disappears for the rest of the franchise right? Because I was surprised she was there when I watched III and I kept waiting for her to show up or be mentioned in IV.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 11:58:51 AM »
The wife comes out of nowhere and then disappears for the rest of the franchise right? Because I was surprised she was there when I watched III and I kept waiting for her to show up or be mentioned in IV.

She does features somewhat in Ghost Protocol (aka IV) but goes unmentioned in Rogue Nation IIRC.

Letterbox'd

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 12:01:59 PM »
Well, I don't remember anything else about that movie, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised I don't remember her either.