love

Author Topic: A whole nother validation  (Read 4125 times)

Soyle Mycelf

A whole nother validation
« on: October 06, 2015, 08:23:36 AM »
In support of the continued use of "a whole nother", I present to you the StarTalk Radio Show with Neil deGrasse Tyson. In the episode "Cosmic Queries: Colonizing Mars" from October 2, 2015, at approximately 9:15, both Neil and his co-host use the phrase "a whole nother". If it's good enough for an astrophysicist, I think we can forgive Adam and Josh.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: A whole nother validation
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 10:08:29 AM »
Has anyone disputed knowing what Josh means when he says "a whole nother?" If not, then it is grammatically correct. Informal speech should never be mistaken for incorrect speech. Language is fluid and ultimately the correctness of grammar is exclusively bound in whether ideas are communicated successfully.

Also, people who know what you are saying but feel compelled to complain because it doesn't line up with what they have learned or feel is the correct way to write or talk are basically the worst.  ;D

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 11:06:56 AM »
Language is fluid and ultimately the correctness of grammar is exclusively bound in whether ideas are communicated successfully.

I agree with all of what you said, but this is the most important point.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 02:50:27 PM »
I forgive nothing and wish ill things on those grammatical miscreants.

Also, people who know what you are saying but feel compelled to complain because it doesn't line up with what they have learned or feel is the correct way to write or talk are basically the worst.  ;D

But our grammar is so proper...
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 05:45:33 PM »
Holy crap Neil Degrasse has a radio show?! Sold!

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 01:48:33 PM »
I have no problem with the grammar of it, I just think it sounds rubbish. "A whole nother." Clumsy. There's something a bit Idiocracy about it.

It's one of those irritating vocal tics that get out there sometimes, like when people make a statement as though they're asking a question?

"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 09:41:29 AM »
I have no problem with the grammar of it, I just think it sounds rubbish. "A whole nother." Clumsy. There's something a bit Idiocracy about it.

It's one of those irritating vocal tics that get out there sometimes, like when people make a statement as though they're asking a question?
It is clumsy, which is why, again, I'd never write it -- but speaking it is, well, a whole nother thing. (Wow that looks terrible.)
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 09:47:29 AM »
Burn him.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 03:01:41 PM »
I don't want to burn anyone, man. If they want to go through life sounding like toothless southern pigfarmers, that's their affair. It's still the rootenist, tootenist movie podcast round these darn parts, hyaw hyaw hyaw!
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 05:30:04 AM »
I'll drink a milkshake to that.

Still think we should burn someone though.