love

Author Topic: Survivor 31 - Second Chances  (Read 3929 times)

MattDrufke

Re: Survivor 31 - Second Chances
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 02:41:17 PM »
Either way, another insufferable character gone from the game. He was really getting on my nerves.

Also, HOW IS ABI-MARIA STILL IN THIS GAME?
@ihatemattdrufke

dheaton

• Public Transportation Snob
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 02:46:40 PM »
I think Abi-Maria probably makes the end, which is crazy. Who would vote her out now? 

I actually like Stephen, but I'm biased and can see how he could be irritating.
My Film and TV Blog - ptsnob.com
Letterboxd Profile - ptsnob

MattDrufke

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 03:14:52 PM »
I think Abi-Maria probably makes the end, which is crazy. Who would vote her out now? 

I have problems when people appoint themselves specific roles. Kass was irritating because I felt like she actually could be an interesting player, but she had to dub herself "Chaos Kass", which was just her way of saying that sometimes she liked to be a sneaky jerk and needed a way to make it cute. Steven is a fine player (a little whiny, but whatevs), but when you start referring to yourself as a "master strategist" and "an expert on Survivor", you're just hoping to make a name for yourself outside the show.

The guy who did this last season (and it really peeved me off) was Dan, who in the first episode said something like, "I'm the guy who's not always politically-correct and likes to upset people." Well, ok... but now you've just made your own self-fulfilling prophecy, you stupid tool. You're just trying to fill a role instead of be a human and hope that when you're back home, you get invited to help open car dealerships or you get free meals at Olive Garden.
@ihatemattdrufke

dheaton

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 03:18:35 PM »

I have problems when people appoint themselves specific roles. Kass was irritating because I felt like she actually could be an interesting player, but she had to dub herself "Chaos Kass", which was just her way of saying that sometimes she liked to be a sneaky jerk and needed a way to make it cute. Steven is a fine player (a little whiny, but whatevs), but when you start referring to yourself as a "master strategist" and "an expert on Survivor", you're just hoping to make a name for yourself outside the show.

I did find the "Chaos Kass" character to be irritating this season, especially when it seemed self-serving and didn't help her game. She's a lot more charming when she's just being a normal person and not trying to be something else.

With Stephen, it was a bit different since he was the co-host of one of the biggest weekly podcasts about Survivor with Rob Cesternino. He also has been blogging about the show on People.com for a long time. So he came into the game with the target as the strategist on his back. I agree that he got arrogant at times, but I think a lot of the chatter about being the "expert" comes from how others perceived him and how it was set up in the narrative.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 04:25:48 PM »
I didn't mind Steven, but he was given too much screen time for my tastes. Excited to see some other contestants jump to the forefront (not counting whoever gets conked on the head tomorrow).

Speaking of which — one of the only things I don't like about Survivor is how careless they are with the safety of the contestants in challenges. The worst one is when they blindfold the contestants and have them carry around heavy objects. I hate that. I hope tomorrow's injury isn't awful.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

MattDrufke

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 07:15:16 AM »
Totally agree with pixote on this. And I really hate the challenges where the contestants are basically asked to just beat people up. Watching Joe and Jeremy just throw people around in the water for me last week was not enjoyable, and I don't exactly know who it is enjoyable for. Races are fun. Puzzles are fun. People getting hurt is just a weird schadenfreude for a demographic I'm not part of and never want to be part of.

I also did not know about all the work Steven does outside of the show.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:20:38 AM by MattDrufke »
@ihatemattdrufke

dheaton

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 09:28:15 AM »
I feel like the blindfold challenge is designed so the players end up running into things. They don't want them to get hurt, but it tends to happen. Varner's toe was crushed in the blindfold challenge this season, and the show downplayed the severity of it. The challenge in the water was bad, but it's even worse when they do something similar on sand. Then it's just players grabbing each other, and it seems like someone could be seriously injured.

MattDrufke

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 08:39:54 AM »
Well, there it is. I thought going into last night's episode that Jeremy probably had the best chance of winning the whole thing, and it paid off. Didn't expect him to get the 10-0 sweep, but I think a lot of that is because I feel like Spencer did a really terrible job of laying out his case.

That vote to get from 6 to 5 was absolutely insane.
@ihatemattdrufke

dheaton

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 09:16:44 AM »
I expected Jeremy to win if he made the end, but 10-0 is stunning. I figure there would be at least someone who'd make it 8-2 or something. Spencer and Tasha weren't terrible in the final tribal council, but I think it didn't really matter. People really liked Jeremy, and he played a good game.

That final six TC was so nuts! I really thought for a second that Keith was just going to step out of the game and go "to the house". I expected them to both play idols but didn't anticipate the craziness of the discussion with the deadlock.

Still don't really get why Spencer and Tasha didn't try to flip against Jeremy. Of course, they probably lose to Kelley in the finals too. Seeing her against Jeremy would have been interesting.

MattDrufke

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 12:46:55 PM »
I think Kelley was the only one who had a real chance to beat Jeremy. Basically, if you look at it, she was Mike from last season. There was a point where her back was clearly against the wall and her allies were being picked off one by one, and all she did was everything she needed to do to win.
@ihatemattdrufke

love