Author Topic: The Martian  (Read 10874 times)

MattDrufke

The Martian
« on: October 15, 2015, 08:31:52 AM »
Here's my major beef with this film (and I haven't read the book, so I don't know if this is something left out of it)...

Here you have a botanist up on Mars. Stranded. Alone. Sure to die. And it's never really dealt with how he deals with the isolation. Just right away, he's pulling metal shards out of himself and working on plans and using his poop to grow potatoes. And then (seemingly) 20 minutes later, he's able to chat with the people back at NASA.

Yeah, being in Damon's situation would suck: Everyone thinks you're dead, you can't grow food, you're probably going to die with days, weeks tops. But to me, the worst thing about all of it is that you're alone. And the film never really dealt with how he dealt with the isolation.

This is just nit-picking, because I really liked this film. But a few scenes just watching him, I don't know, pass the time would've went a long way with me.
@ihatemattdrufke

chardy999

• Elite Member
Re: The Martian
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 08:41:38 AM »
I hear what you're saying, but he is a man defined by activity not inactivity.

He wasn't given things to care about in a world or even family sense, he had to survive for himself, and the film was going to be very clear about how he did exactly that.

It is a clarity of focus that is refreshing. It is optimistic and elucidates his redeeming values. From what you have said, it sounds like you would do well with a rewatch.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 08:45:19 AM »
I think the film is more concerned with its thematic optimism than about psychological realism. I think that might be to the benefit of the film to be honest because if I had to sit through a bunch of added 5 minute scenes of his character having meltdowns, I'd probably get bored.

MattDrufke

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 03:41:14 PM »
chardy, I agree I could use a rewatch. And I liked the movie as a whole (I gave it a B+). And seeing how he did all the things to survive was really cool. But there could've been one thing to show how he survived psychologically.

Bondo, I'm not asking for a lot of different 5-minute scenes. But maybe one scene. Like, for two minutes. Of him bouncing a ball waiting for potatoes to grow. Or reading the same manual he's re-read before.

Again, this is just my perspective here. I was curious what that kind of isolation would do to Damon, the man.
@ihatemattdrufke

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 05:37:15 PM »
I'm with you, Matt. I lacked a little scene here or there that would show that he is cognizant of his mental state and taking steps to keep it stable in the same way he kept his living situation stable.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

EternalSunshine

• Coming to you from Chicago!
    • Letterboxd.com/dickless1der
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 07:08:42 PM »
I don't know, you guys. This film was nothing special to me. I mean, I have already seen enough from sci-fi narrative films like Moon (2009), Armageddon (1998), Mission to Mars (2000), etc. This movie was exactly what I imagined it to be (predictability?). That being said, I am not going to say I technically hate the film, but I did not think it was worth Ridley Scotts time. He should have produced the project rather than direct it and devote less attention to his poor lonely wife.

ps. I honestly did not appreciate the humor. It was not necessary. To be honest, space is a touch subject and scares me beyond belief. Not ghosts or zombies. SPACE! That's all I have to say.  8)

pps. Too many pointless scenes that they could have cut to shorten the length of this 2 and a half hour film.
Michael Mendez

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 11:56:28 PM »
Hi EternalSunshine :)

I was curious what that kind of isolation would do to Damon, the man.

I'm curious what you think that kind of isolation would do to MattDrufke, the man.

EternalSunshine

• Coming to you from Chicago!
    • Letterboxd.com/dickless1der
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 08:14:22 AM »
Hi, Sandy!

What film is your picture from? I know I know it, but I can't get my finger on it lol
Michael Mendez

MattDrufke

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 03:41:54 PM »
I was curious what that kind of isolation would do to Damon, the man.

I'm curious what you think that kind of isolation would do to MattDrufke, the man.

Nothing good. I assure you.
@ihatemattdrufke

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 08:14:25 PM »
 :D

Contemplating that, makes me wonder what movies have addressed isolation well. The first one that comes to mind is Cast Away, one of my favorite movies. It handles the subject so well, putting me right there in his head space. Has Filmspotting ever done a top 5 isolation movie list?

love