Author Topic: Crimson Peak  (Read 5963 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Crimson Peak
« on: October 16, 2015, 10:26:13 PM »
Maybe my favorite shot in the movie was the one at the end where Mia W. puts her hand on Tom H.'s face and it stays there a bit before it goes through his ghost skin as he disappears. Second only to that shot is the one of Chastain's ghost at the end, and its pitch black, coal-like texture. Wonderful looking movie.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

EternalSunshine

• Coming to you from Chicago!
    • Letterboxd.com/dickless1der
Re: Crimson Peak
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 10:31:24 PM »
What do you think? Oscars for costume and set design? This movie was fun visually. I need to see it second time.
Michael Mendez

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 10:33:17 PM »
I'm hoping so. It'd be nice, because it's like the coolest looking movie in a long time.

EternalSunshine

• Coming to you from Chicago!
    • Letterboxd.com/dickless1der
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 10:40:53 PM »
I think Guillermo del Toro is the only guy I trust to use CGI/special effects. He uses so perfectly where it mixes with the real world and makes it acceptable.
Michael Mendez

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 12:53:56 PM »
Word.

The knock on Crimson Peak around the internet that I've seen is that it isn't subtle. Yeah, and? Does it need to be? Was it trying to be? Isn't horror (or romance!) an unsubtle genre anyways? This movie has ghosts pointing to important bits of evidence. This movie is anti-subtle. It is over the top, it is in your face, the dialogue is often on the nose. And that's why it works so well.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 07:58:07 PM »
Word.

The knock on Crimson Peak around the internet that I've seen is that it isn't subtle. Yeah, and? Does it need to be? Was it trying to be? Isn't horror (or romance!) an unsubtle genre anyways? This movie has ghosts pointing to important bits of evidence. This movie is anti-subtle. It is over the top, it is in your face, the dialogue is often on the nose. And that's why it works so well.

Exactly.  It wasn't made to make you think.  It isn't Pan's L.  Nothing will be, frankly.  Let's get over it and appreciate what we have: a gorgeous, occasionally frightening take of a gothic love story.  Not genius, but a beautiful, hypnotic entertainment.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 10:13:13 AM »
I feel like I would have LOVED the film if it didn't go for the conventional scare tactics. When the music spikes with the discordant strings, things jumping out. It just felt too easy and cheap.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Crimson Peak - SPOILER
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 02:12:46 AM »
I never rise to Junior's level of love for del Toro because there's always something that holds me back. Usually it's the script. Pacific Rim and the Hellboy films have a pretty deaf ear for comedy, and there's a lot of attempts in those films. Sometimes it's the casting, which often has a couple of duds, like Charlie Hunnam. He's actually okay here. Outclassed, but he doesn't drag the film down like he does Pacific Rim.

So we get to the end here and after all the cool/classy Art Direction and the actor-intensive build-up we climax with nothing more than a dressed up stalk and stab sequence. I love The bottom of Chastain's dress as it floats down the stairs and the shot Junior mentions, but the core is uninspired. Movie stars hacking away at each other. It's not bad, but it's not a film working at a higher level either, and I want a little more from someone who has the talent to be a master filmmaker. I would've preferred something more along the lines of The Devil's Advocate. The scenery is delicious. Let the cast chew it up.

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
Re: Crimson Peak - SPOILER
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 05:45:06 PM »
... we climax with nothing more than a dressed up stalk and stab sequence.

Most baffling movie ending of the year? According to IMDb trivia there were 12 drafts of the script. And del Toro had a co-writer.
- Hm, we need to finish this somehow.
- Hey, why not let them all stab each other?
- Great, and then... and then... she hits her with a shovel!
- Awesome!
I cannot imagine for the life of me how that came to pass.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 01:00:40 PM »
I think Chastain did enough scenery chewing as she needed to do. I loved her in the film. I also think that the style was the substance in this case. Sure, the story may be a bit on the nose and probably doesn't end super well, but just look at it! It looks and feels exactly like it should, and that authenticity or integrity or whatever substitutes for a less than stellar script. It won't be my favorite del Toro and I'm not sure I'll go back to it very often, though I will look at pictures from time to time because it is just so pretty.