love

Author Topic: Best Films from every country?  (Read 5372 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Best Films from every country?
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2015, 06:16:10 AM »
But, yeah, I really like Mads Mikkelsen.  He is someone I always look forward to seeing.  He was great in The Salvation from this year.  The film was pretty good, but he really elevated it for me.

I know of this movie but was never sure if it was worth it or not. I might check it out sometime.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Stick Boy

• stickboyatthemovies.com
    • Stick Boy At The Movies
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2015, 12:00:06 PM »
But, yeah, I really like Mads Mikkelsen.  He is someone I always look forward to seeing.  He was great in The Salvation from this year.  The film was pretty good, but he really elevated it for me.

I know of this movie but was never sure if it was worth it or not. I might check it out sometime.
It's worth checking out for Mads Mikkelsen and Jonathan Pryce, and because it's only 90 minutes.  I don't think it was great, the story is nothing very original or intriguing, but it had an interesting visual aesthetic. 

Some great films there, so I will not list them in the ones I give you. Except for The Great Gatsby I would consider all of them to be Australian. Other than the Great Gatsby, the odd one out seems to be Paper Planes. Do you have kids or did it just get your eye?

I will limit my picks to no more than 5 in any decade, so I will only go a little over your 20-30 range in total. Anyway on with Part 2 of the Australian list:

The 1970s
Wake in Fright (1971)Lost for many years this film is now available. This is a dramatic and dark view of Australia, a type of view that is often found in Australian films.
Alvin Purple (1973)The 1970s Australian cinema was big on nudity cinema, it sold really well, and of this type of cinema Alvin Purple is the most famous. A fun silly film.
Petersen (1974)Still with plenty of nudity, but with a more serious plot (well a little). It stars Jack Thompson (you will see his face in several of the films I suggest) and Jackie Weaver (before she became the mother of a crime gang in Animal Kingdom).
Storm Boy (1976)As you mentioned Paper Planes I decided to put in a kids film to the list. Based on a book by Colin Thiele. I loved both the book and the film. It has a link to the first film you listed (Walkabout) as David Gulpilil is in this one also.
Long Weekend (1978)This represents an excellent example of genre cinema that Australia produces lots of, particularly in the 1970s and 80s.

So the above will provide you with a little bit of variety from Australian 1970s cinema. Enjoy. Coming soon the 1980s.

Honestly, I watched Paper Planes because sometimes I like a good kids movie and it sounded fun.  I was not too impressed with it though.  It had a few moments that were fun, but it was a bit too ridiculous for me.  Though Ed Oxenbould was pretty good in both this and The Visit this year, a decent child actor.

Don't feel like you have to rush with posting your list, it will take me some time to get through all of these.  Thanks again for taking the time to make a list.
http://stickboyatthemovies.com  Don't be a stick in the mud, be a stick boy!

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2015, 12:24:19 PM »
My top 50 Japanese movies (yeah, I'm going 50 here... too many great ones to ignore)

1. Linda Linda Linda
2. Seven Samurai
3. Revenge of a Kabuki Actor
4. Hausu (House)
5. High and Low
6. Woman in the Dunes
7. Red Beard
8. A Page of Madness
9. Thirst for Love
10. Ran
11. Sansho the Bailiff
12. Yojimbo
13. Funeral Parade of Roses
14. Who’s Camus Anyway?
15. Cruel Gun Story
16. Kiki’s Delivery Service
17. Spirited Away
18. The Face of Another
19. The Burmese Harp
20. Ikiru
21. The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On
22. Harakiri
23. Fighting Elegy
24. Love Exposure
25. Princess Mononoke
26. My Love Has Been Burning
27. Noriko's Dinner Table
28. Dodes-kaden
29. Fires on the Plain
30. Kokoro
31. Humanity and Paper Balloons
32. The Naked Island
33. Twenty-Four Eyes
34. A Colt Is My Passport
35. Death By Hanging
36. Early Summer
37. Black Rain
38. Tony Takitani
39. The Human Condition trilogy
40. Demons
41. Black River
42. Ballad of Orin
43. Snow Flurry
44. Late Autumn
45. The Life of Oharu
46. The Inheritance
47. Rashomon
48. Anzukko (Little Peach)
49. I Wish
50. The Ballad of Narayama (Kinoshita)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2015, 01:01:06 PM »
Honorable Mention to Onibaba?

Your choice of 1 over 2 has me kind of speechless.

Stick Boy

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2015, 02:31:38 PM »
Great list, thanks!  I have seen 9 of those movies, so see, that brings it down to 41, that's better.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2015, 02:38:42 PM »
Your choice of 1 over 2 has me kind of speechless.

Second
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2015, 03:16:44 PM »
It's the same order that's in my top 100, so it shouldn't be a surprise.  These are my personal choices, not a ranking of the most canonical.  Tokyo Story isn't even on my list, am I a bad cinephile?

Honorable Mention to Onibaba?

I enjoyed it, but to be honest I barely remember it.

Stick Boy

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2015, 03:39:29 AM »

It's a good story and has some pretty good acting throughout.  It is fun seeing a young Peter Finch whom I am only really familiar with from Network.  There is a cattle driving scene early on that made me think of Red River which would come out 4 years later.  Of course it is on a smaller scale here, but photographed well.  The desert stuff was pretty goods too, though it doesn't have the production value of Sahara from the year before.

The night scenes were really dark and muddy looking.  It made it hard to tell what was going on, which may have been unintentionally interesting.  A sort of way of showing the fog of war; Just sounds without seeing what is happening.

The worst part for me came at what could have been the best part.  They are trapped in this city surrounded by troops far outnumbering their own.  A broadcast comes through from the enemy trying to break their spirits by telling them how little hope there is.  How they are cut off and alone and surrender is the only option.  At this point  one of the soldiers gives a rendition of the Saint Crispins Day speech from Henry V.  This is a speech so powerful that even just reading the written words gives me chills, a speech I would never believe you could really screw up too bad.  But here it is so flat and boring and has no impact at all.  It is unfortunate because it is a perfect situation for such a monologue, but alas, it is a failure which is very disappointing.

It is competent film making, obviously inspired and informed by other features of the time from Hollywood.  It is nothing groundbreaking, but a solid effort.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2015, 05:29:41 AM »
You have seen 2 of the biggest movies of the 1980s.

He is my choices of films you should check out from Australia in the 1980s, yes I was only going to pick 5 from the decade, but I was weak and picked 7.

The 1980s
The Club (1980)Based on a David Williamson play and starring Jack Thompson. I picked this as it is about a sporting
club in Australia Rules Football and is so very Australian.
Breaker Morant (1980)The first of 2 great war films from Australia (that I am picking), this one is based
real events during the Boer War
Gallipoli (1981)Another great war film, this time a fictional story on the backdrop of the real WWI battleground
Malcolm (1986)A comedy and lots of fun, as it is set in Melbourne I particularly enjoy the spot the location game
Incident at Raven's Gate (1988)I was tossing and turning between this one and "The Year My Voice Broke", but this one won
because when I first saw it in the cinema I had a lousy nights sleep afterwards
Also to consider
As Time Goes By (1988)I am putting this one on the list, but do not expect that you will be able to find it.
It is an enjoy comedy/sci fi with a stand out performance from Max Gillies, and I knew the director. He was the co-owner of
a revival cinema in Melbourne and I got to know him because I went there at least once a week for a few years.
The Year My Voice Broke (1987) This is also in the side bar as it has early performances from Ben Mendelsohn and Noah Taylor

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2015, 06:04:50 AM »
1994 was a great year for Australian comedies, but none of them made the top five of those I am going to recommend. This was a decade with some great dark films.

The 1990s
Romper Stomper (1992)Russell Crowe's big break and a film that stunned Australia
Bad Boy Bubby (1993)My second Rolf de Heer film listed (the other is Incident at Raven's Gate), it is one of my favourite films, but it is not necessarily an easy watch.
The Castle (1997)Classic comedy, a bit of light in amongst this darkness
The Boys (1998)Happy families this is not
The Interview (1998)A suspect is interviewed.
Also to considerBecause the above are a set of mostly dark films
Muriel's Wedding (1994)Ok this is a black comedy, but a wonderful one
Cosi (1996)Spot the familiar face in this one
Two Hands (1999)Has one of the funniest moments in a bank robbery I have ever seen