Author Topic: 2015 Awards Seaon (The Year "Ex Machina" gets frickin' hosed!)  (Read 7345 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: 2015 Awards Seaon (The Year "Ex Machina" gets frickin' hosed!)
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 09:05:12 AM »
Happy to see so many nominations for Mad Max, and even Star Wars got a handful of technical nominations.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 2015 Awards Seaon
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 09:06:15 AM »
and 2 for Ex Machina.

For me, this is about the inclusions, like World of Tomorrow for Best Animated Short Film and Straight Outta Compton for Best Original Screenplay.

Biggest surprise exclusion for me is that Jurassic World didn't even get a technical nomination.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 09:24:32 AM by 1SO »

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 09:44:18 AM »
Also, a few big surprises here, particularly with Carol/Haynes missing out on Picture/Director

I guess I jinxed that:
Of the unseen "prestige" pictures, Carol is pretty much the only one I vaguely consider a contender.

MattDrufke

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 10:10:32 AM »
and 2 for Ex Machina.

For me, this is about the inclusions, like World of Tomorrow for Best Animated Short Film and Straight Outta Compton for Best Original Screenplay.

Biggest surprise exclusion for me is that Jurassic World didn't even get a technical nomination.

The screenwriting nom for Ex Machina made me happy.

I predict 8 categories every year- Pic, Director, the Actings & Screenplays. I usually strive for 70%. Missed it by a fraction this year (30/43- 69.76%). Couldn't believe I missed every Best Supporting Actor nominee.
@ihatemattdrufke

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 02:11:36 PM »
Also, a few big surprises here, particularly with Carol/Haynes missing out on Picture/Director

I guess I jinxed that:
Of the unseen "prestige" pictures, Carol is pretty much the only one I vaguely consider a contender.

Way to go, goodguy!  (I was a little surprised by that snub as well, considering they didn't even fill all 10 potential slots.)
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 05:08:11 PM »

I guess I jinxed that:

Way to go, goodguy!  (I was a little surprised by that snub as well, considering they didn't even fill all 10 potential slots.)

A film needs a minimum of 5% of the #1 votes to be a nominee. So the subjective tones of 'snub' is not quite the right way to look at it.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 06:22:55 PM »

This makes me happy.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 12:15:47 PM »
Ha! This is exactly how I feel about his performance:

"LOS ANGELES—Asked for his thoughts on his Academy Award nomination for Best Actor, Leonardo DiCaprio told reporters Thursday that he really hopes he screamed and cried good enough in The Revenant to win the Oscar. “I yelled really loud in this movie when I was angry and I started crying hard after I got upset, so hopefully the guys who choose the winners saw all that and liked it,” said DiCaprio, who expressed optimism that his chances will be further bolstered by the fact that, in addition to stumbling and falling a bunch of times in the snow, there were some scenes where he shouted so loud it made his throat hurt, and sometimes spittle even came out of his mouth and got trapped in the big, gross beard he grew. “I bet my chances are good because this is the most I’ve ever screamed and cried—way more than I did in Revolutionary Road or Gangs Of New York. Plus my nose was dripping a lot but I didn’t even wipe it; I just left it there.” DiCaprio then admitted that he is still somewhat nervous that he did a bad job during the parts where he sits quietly and looks at something far away."

http://www.theonion.com/article/leonardo-dicaprio-hopes-he-screamed-and-cried-good-52170

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 12:17:21 PM »
Yeah, that's a perfect Onion article. It's not Most Actor...
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 02:41:09 PM »
The history of winners disagrees.

love