love

Author Topic: Serial S2 Podcast **SPOILERS**  (Read 5648 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: Serial S2 Podcast **SPOILERS**
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 02:55:05 PM »
It's longform journalism for the radio.
Texan Down Under

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 10:56:04 PM »
Yeah, what she said.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 11:08:22 PM »
Still, it lacks a certain something.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 06:30:49 AM »
Serial has become something different in its second season. I feel like perhaps it's become more about bureaucracy than anything else, within both the US government/army and the Taliban. I'm still finding value/enjoyment in it.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 08:05:09 AM »
Just wrapped S2. I do think the series had the effect of softening the edges on how one feels about Bowe, especially in this final episode when they provide a couple stories about other people who basically did as careless of things and mostly escaped punishment because it didn't result in any particular cost. Starts to make the discussion around him feel like hyperbole.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 01:31:56 PM »
Starts to make the discussion around him feel like hyperbole.

That's certainly how I view it. People are putting all their resentment of the military (and of politicians) in it it seems : as one army guy says, he didn't even feel that strongly about Bowe but hatred of him was so omnipresent in military circles that he kind of followed the pack. Which is understandable really, the problem is that it then has very real consequences on this guy's life, a guy who, granted, did a very stupid thing for at best dubious reasons, but who deserves a bit of respite nonetheless.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 04:41:31 PM »
I haven't listened to the most recent episode. Didn't realise it was the end of the season. Interesting.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 05:07:18 PM »
I think it ended with the last episode mainly because it ran out of steam.  There simply wasn't another story to tell about Bowe or other aspects.

I also think that Bowe is once again in the sights of the military because he told his story to Serial and to the other interviewer.  Knowing what a big deal Serial Season 1 was, the military recoiled at Bowe's story being out there and analyzed by so many listeners.  In the end, I don't think that happened, but the military assumed it would.

The difference I see in this season and last is S1 seemed like a serial telling of a story and S2 seemed like long form journalism.  I liked the exploration of Bowe's ordeal.  I gained a lot of knowledge of how things worked from the inside out.  It had its rewards for listening through the series.  I came out thinking Bowe, though guilty, is being scapegoated.  He possibly deserves some sort of punishment from the military but not prison time.  (I'm not informed enough to know what else the military could do to punish him other than prison.)
Texan Down Under

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2016, 08:02:23 PM »
Although the second season went a different direction, I loved it, just as much as the first.  As a culture, we are fascinated with true crime, but I like the fact that Serial decided to go with a military story instead and opened up a lot in that world.  I would probably have been bored if it were another legal thriller.  Instead, we get to understand a new world. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love