Author Topic: Director Ratings Project 2015 - Top 100 Directors + The Bottom 20  (Read 24666 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Director Ratings Project 2015 - RESULTS
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2016, 02:08:34 PM »
Ingmar Bergman is another director where I really had to look at all sources to narrow down his 'key' films.

I'm going to be away tomorrow and won't be able to prep the Top 10. I'm not doing it to build false suspense, though it will work out that way.

Any guesses at the Top 10? I'll tell you this, it's split evenly into 5 Active and 5 Inactive.

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2016, 02:23:16 PM »
Kurosawa < Linklater < Bergman makes me feel dazed and confused.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2016, 03:59:23 PM »
There are a few here who think Kurosawa is slightly overrated, whereas hardly anyone has a problem with Linklater. There are a handful of filmmaker titans where it's difficult to believe anyone would rate above them. Kurosawa is one of those for me. (Only one other filmmaker to come that I rated a 10.) I understand the love for Linklater, who has made a lot of great films, with a certain amount of variety over a period of three decades.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2016, 04:26:03 PM »
Ingmar Bergman is another director where I really had to look at all sources to narrow down his 'key' films.

I'm going to be away tomorrow and won't be able to prep the Top 10. I'm not doing it to build false suspense, though it will work out that way.

Any guesses at the Top 10? I'll tell you this, it's split evenly into 5 Active and 5 Inactive.

Smiles of a Summer Night has to be in over Cries & Whispers. Way better film. Different to others. Earlier. More important.

Feels like Stan Brakhage is getting in unless I missed him earlier.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2016, 04:57:43 PM »

Linklater this far up is really surprising.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2016, 05:43:46 PM »
Surprised Chuck Jones and Rohmer made it so high, but not displeased.

Disappointed that Kieslowski and Kurosawa didn't make it higher, but not surprised.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2016, 06:14:43 PM »
Smiles of a Summer Night has to be in over Cries & Whispers. Way better film. Different to others. Earlier. More important.
I thought about that because people come into Bergman thinking he's heavy and humorless, which Smiles of a Summer Night contradicts all by itself. But Cries & Whispers was higher rated on IMDB and TSPDT and has more votes on Bergman's board thread. According to those resources, the one that doesn't belong is Scenes from a Marriage, which I couldn't imagine leaving off.

Feels like Stan Brakhage is getting in unless I missed him earlier.
People like you and me kept Stan Brakhage from getting very high on this list. He comes in at #377

Linklater this far up is really surprising.
There's something very agreeable about Linklater's films that's going to place him very high in a Project like this. His lack of boldness makes it hard to have a strong case against him.

I'm also disappointed about Kurosawa, but I'm sure people are disappointed that the ability to rate more negatively has eliminated Fellini, Godard and Von Trier. You know who else you're not going to see coming up? Apichatpong Weerasethakul

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2016, 06:52:33 PM »

Kubrick & Hitchcock for sure. Wes Anderson likely.

Oh lordy... Nolan is gonna be up there, isn't he? F'in hell.

I was pretty disgusted with the negative voting in this poll.  At times I felt like I was the only one being sane and reasonable.

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2016, 07:01:02 PM »

Kubrick & Hitchcock for sure. Wes Anderson likely.

I can't imagine these three not making it.

Michael Mann?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2016, 08:25:57 PM »
#146 Christopher Nolan
(between Lukas Moodysson and Josef von Sternberg)
Score: 6.804 (19 Ratings)
Rated 10–9.5–9–8.5–8: 1–1–0–1–3

#201 Michael Mann
(between Takeshi Kitano and Leos Carax)
Score: 6.549 (21 Ratings)
Rated 10–9–8: 0–1–3

I was pretty disgusted with the negative voting in this poll.  At times I felt like I was the only one being sane and reasonable.
It was the wide range of Ratings that kept Nolan out of the Top 100. That's what I like about this system, and I think there was very little gaming. My biggest ??? was Smirnoff only using 10, 7.5, 5, 2.5 and 0. With 350 names Scoring above a 6, his method hurt a lot of Scores.

While some people end up higher and lower than you would think, I found the consistency created a lot less head-scratchers than most lists where you just submit your favorites. Edgar Wright, Xavier Dolan and Richard Linklater may seem high for newbies on a list of All Time great directors, but their work supports the placement. And it's bee interesting to see Raoul Ruiz, Ritwik Ghatak and Bιla Tarr show up. Usually, these names wouldn't have a chance.