Author Topic: Nicole Kidman, Ice Princess  (Read 2341 times)

frankkramer

Nicole Kidman, Ice Princess
« on: October 25, 2005, 11:01:07 AM »
Just catching up with the shows and want to comment on the idea that Kidman is one of the top actors. While I recognize her technical ability and think that she has been great in films like The Others, I find her to be a very cold fish. For me there is a disturbing lack of humanity or warmth coming from her which makes it impossible for me to care what happens to the characters she plays. It seems like there is a kind of scale with someone like Meg Ryan at the very warm/loveable/sympathetic end and the absolute cypher Kidman at the other. While there are definitely parts that both of them can nail - Ryan, for instance, in You've Got Mail and Kidman in The Interpreter, there are parts that they should not get - Ahem... Ryan in In the Cut. I just can't believe that the public wants or needs to see Kidman in 8 out of 10 of the great female roles that come down the pike. Until she is able to project something like movie-star-warmth - think Meryl Streep - she won't be in any top 10 of mine.

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 04:46:11 PM »
Exactly, although Kate Hudson is more someone I'd choose as my favourite 'warm, funny' lead. I liked Eyes Wide Shut, but the film would benefit from a cull of many of her scenes, especially the 5 minute argument they have stoned. I liked her in To Die For, but she's totally humourless.

mweston

• My blog
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 05:05:08 PM »
I agree that Kidman is pretty cold as an actress (and possibly in person as well, but I wouldn't know). But I must take exception to wowser's objection to the argument in Eyes Wide Shut. That was stunning. Of course I loved Closer too, which is wall to wall with such scenes.
- Mike "One's a Party, One's a Crowd" Weston

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 05:17:06 PM »
The masked ball scene, aesthetically, made up for it. Kubrick was never big on character, and I don't think a 5 minute single take argument was a good place to start trying.