Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens  (Read 9319 times)

Beavermoose

• Elite Member
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 12:45:16 PM »
We are certainly meant to think she's Luke's daughter, or maybe Han and Leia's other kid ? Would be very surprised if she's not related to either.

In the books Han and Leia had twins. But, I don't see them abandoning their daughter on a desert planet while raising their son.

Don't they say that Luke was training 2 kids?
Maybe after he saw that Ben was going to the dark side he was worried about Rey and erased her memories and left her on Jakku.

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »
Yeah, Rey's got too much talent not to have a pedigree.  Once the fanboys get their hands on that visions sequence with a pause button, I'm sure the theories will proliferate. 

The most fun thing I've read thus far is that Supreme Leader Snoke, who looks to be centuries old, is really Darth Plagueis - the Sith Lord who learned to create life and "cheat death".  (In III, Darth Sidious says he was killed by his apprentice, but he doesn't explain how to kill a wizard who can cheat death.)  The Yoda-ish parallel to this character would be Maz Kanata, who says she's old enough to have seen evil in forms that precede the Sith.  And Kylo Ren is a one-man cult of Darth Vader, who himself turned to the Dark Side in search of the secrets that only Darth Plagueis discovered (i.e., the "work" Kylo Ren vows to finish?)

But that was part of the magic of the original Star Wars - there was a good deal of enigma and mystery around that first film that has been forgotten in the wake of sequels and prequels (e.g., did Darth Vader kill Obi-Wan or did Obi-Wan magically transport himself somewhere?) I remember that the most popular t-shirt in my third grade classroom (1978) exclaimed "Darth Vader lives!" and yet, we lived in a world without obligatory sequels and franchising.  I think J.J. Abrams tried to add a bit of that anticipation back into the series (although I will stop short of opining on the efficacy of his efforts). 

Either way, the saga is all in Rian Johnson's hands now (as writer of both VIII and IX).  I think we need to convince Adam to take his buddy out for a drink (or four) to get the scoop. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 03:56:21 PM by sdb_1970 »
[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2015, 05:01:50 PM »
We are certainly meant to think she's Luke's daughter, or maybe Han and Leia's other kid ? Would be very surprised if she's not related to either.

In the books Han and Leia had twins. But, I don't see them abandoning their daughter on a desert planet while raising their son.

Don't they say that Luke was training 2 kids?
Maybe after he saw that Ben was going to the dark side he was worried about Rey and erased her memories and left her on Jakku.

Kylo Ren would've recognized her if that was true.

I was shocked at Han Solo's death. Not because of how it was done (although it was a good way of using that lightsaber) but because it's Han freaking Solo!

I was disappointed at how little Luke we got. I kept waiting for him to show up in the snow at the end.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2015, 07:16:05 PM »
I was shocked at Han Solo's death. Not because of how it was done (although it was a good way of using that lightsaber) but because it's Han freaking Solo!

I'm not happy we now live in a world where Han Solo is dead.
"If God gives you lemons find a new God."

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2015, 07:54:17 PM »
- C-3PO's red arm. Shown but never explained. His first scene is a synecdoche of the entire film.

In the way that this movie is exactly the same as the original, but just a little bit different.

In an interview J.J. said that was to show the passage of time. To show that when you haven't seen someone for a long time they look different.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2015, 08:03:41 PM »
- C-3PO's red arm. Shown but never explained. His first scene is a synecdoche of the entire film.

In the way that this movie is exactly the same as the original, but just a little bit different.

In an interview J.J. said that was to show the passage of time. To show that when you haven't seen someone for a long time they look different.

Man, JJ's so right. I mean, when 73-year-old Harrison Ford and 59-year-old Carrie Fisher were on screen it didn't really sink in. But when C3PO came out with that red arm, I was like, whoa. It's been a long time.

JakeIsntFake

• Nothing that a few mega-vitamins couldn't cure
    • 2015 Watchlist
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 03:03:30 PM »

Man, JJ's so right. I mean, when 73-year-old Harrison Ford and 59-year-old Carrie Fisher were on screen it didn't really sink in. But when C3PO came out with that red arm, I was like, whoa. It's been a long time.

I know what he's going for though; J.J's just thinking that people wouldn't believe that after this much time (?), C3PO would look the same. Its still a hackneyed and awkward way to go about it, but I understand the thinking.

How did everyone feel about the first battle scene with Fin as storm trooper, with the blood and the helmet and what nat?
What a world
"The detail of the pattern is movement"
ICheckMovies
Top 40

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2015, 03:22:31 PM »
Threepio looked pretty different even without the arm. Matte finish and much chunkier build, it seemed.

How did everyone feel about the first battle scene with Fin as storm trooper, with the blood and the helmet and what nat?

I thought Boyega's physicality was excellent and all you needed in that scene. The bloodied helmet was really heavy handed and unnecessary. Also poorly thought out to make Fin seem so affected by his comrades deaths considering how shortly it is before he's shooting them in the face with zero disregard.

JakeIsntFake

• Nothing that a few mega-vitamins couldn't cure
    • 2015 Watchlist
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2015, 04:03:14 PM »
Also poorly thought out to make Fin seem so affected by his comrades deaths considering how shortly it is before he's shooting them in the face with zero disregard.

I agree, just like it was incongruous that he helped Poe because it was "the right thing to do", and then suddenly he was so quick to want to ditch the Resistance and care soley for Rey.

I thought Boyega's physicality was excellent and all you needed in that scene. The bloodied helmet was really heavy handed and unnecessary.

I was able to overlook the heavy-handedness for the most part just because it was impressive to see them humanize a storm trooper like that.
What a world
"The detail of the pattern is movement"
ICheckMovies
Top 40

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2015, 04:40:03 PM »
I think the thing that really bothered me is the lack of, or murkiness, of character motivation throughout the film.

What does Rey want? To stay where she is because her mystery family might come back.

What does Finn want? To leave the First Order and get away. But, not join the resistance.

What does Han want? Over halfway through the movie we find out it's to try and bring his son back from the dark side.

Rey's motivation is super boring. Your main character wants stasis, which might work for rom-coms, but not so well an adventure film. We also have no connection to her mystery family, so when she brings up still wanting to go back to Jakku at the beginning of the third act it's really just a short moment of false conflict. Eventually she wants to learn about the force, but that's established after getting close to Luke's lightsaber over halfway through the movie.

Finn's motivation is clearly PTSD inspired. We see his emotional trauma in the opening battle. But that trauma is pure gloss. As soon as he's turned, Finn doesn't have any trouble killing anyone in the First Order. He's seen the evil of their ways, but he's not interested in fighting for good either, he just wants to get away. Which could be interesting. A traumatized soldier becomes a pacifist. He's done fighting. We see Finn make a point of avoiding conflict or not killing anyone when conflict is unavoidable. How big would the moment be when he takes up the lightsaber to defend Rey if we'd seen his struggle with this throughout the film?

Han's motivation has the most gravitas, but is established too late to make it as effective as it could have been. I already mentioned some thoughts on this, so I'll leave it at that.