love

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens  (Read 26242 times)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 06:57:36 PM »
- C-3PO's red arm. Shown but never explained. His first scene is a synecdoche of the entire film.

In the way that this movie is exactly the same as the original, but just a little bit different.

Also Rey is Luke's daughter right?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 07:06:54 PM by Beavermoose »

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 07:14:10 PM »
What did you think of Carrie Fisher?

I think she could have been great if they gave her anything interesting to do. I re-watched the original films this summer and was pleasantly surprised at just how badass Leia is in those films. She takes charge in almost every scene, she fights, she's sarcastic and doesn't take sh*t from anyone (from the very first scene with Vader).

Totoro

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 07:35:35 PM »
You dislike that Abrams didn't take risks then hate risk he does take.

Hence, not liking the film.

Go ahead not liking the film. But it's a hypocritical reason.

Totoro

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 07:39:45 PM »
I don't know, turning Han Solo into a villain would have been shocking and risky. Killing a likable mentor character in the third act to propel your heroes journey forward is storytelling 101. Especially when you're specifically doing a story about passing the torch to a new generation. I respect that you had a different experience, but I have never been less shocked, and I don't think Abrams risked alienating anyone with such a worshipful treatment.

I'm surprised to hear you praise Harrison Ford's performance so much. I thought it was adequate but felt a bit like Ford playing at being Solo rather than actually being him. I'm sure part of that is the writing though. What did you think of Carrie Fisher?

No one was as good as Ford. I think playing Han was intentional. He's an old man trying to relive the good old days while drifting out in space. I understand the disappointment in his performance but again I think you're short changing the intelligence of the writing here. Age has been unkind to Han. He has lost a lot. It's a fairly depressing position we find him in.

Fischer was bad for me.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 07:42:51 PM »
You dislike that Abrams didn't take risks then hate risk he does take.

Hence, not liking the film.

Go ahead not liking the film. But it's a hypocritical reason.

Now, you're just making me angry. There is nothing hypocritical about it. "Risk" isn't inherently good or bad. Substitute "choice" for "risk" and, yeah, I didn't like many of the storytelling choices they made.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 07:46:01 PM by philip918 »

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 08:02:09 PM »
- C-3PO's red arm. Shown but never explained. His first scene is a synecdoche of the entire film.

In the way that this movie is exactly the same as the original, but just a little bit different.

I feel like that's the kind of thing that works great in the Star Wars universe when you don't specifically call attention to it.

Also Rey is Luke's daughter right?

It seems so blatantly obvious that you would think it must be a bluff, but with as obvious as the whole movie was I don't know if they're thinking on that level.

No one was as good as Ford. I think playing Han was intentional. He's an old man trying to relive the good old days while drifting out in space. I understand the disappointment in his performance but again I think you're short changing the intelligence of the writing here. Age has been unkind to Han. He has lost a lot. It's a fairly depressing position we find him in.

Yeah you're right about that. I do give them credit for not having him still be super important the way that Luke and Leia are. Even though I have a lot of problems with the execution, I think on paper that some of the smartest decisions they made involve Han.

Sadly I agree about Fisher. I am looking forward to seeing what Hamill can do as old Luke. Seems the most promising of the bunch.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »
We are certainly meant to think she's Luke's daughter, or maybe Han and Leia's other kid ? Would be very surprised if she's not related to either.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 08:26:25 PM »
We are certainly meant to think she's Luke's daughter, or maybe Han and Leia's other kid ? Would be very surprised if she's not related to either.

In the books Han and Leia had twins. But, I don't see them abandoning their daughter on a desert planet while raising their son.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 08:48:25 PM »
Didn't they say none of that was canon any more? In the EU the son was Jacen and in this it's Ben, so I don't think they're keeping any of that the same.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 12:00:45 PM »
I keep thinking about how much better the story would be if Han and Chewy are near Jakku because they're looking for Kylo Ren.

-- Then it's not completely random that they happened to be nearby and picked up the Falcon's signal.

-- It would allow us to see the emotions Han is dealing with way up front instead of over halfway through the movie.

-- You could have a great reaction from Fin based on him seeing the evil Kylo Ren has wrought - That's your son!

-- Han could have a deeper discussion of the light and dark sides of the force with Rey and start her force journey earlier.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:18:40 PM by philip918 »