Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens  (Read 26254 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2015, 03:39:03 PM »
at least it's better than Jurassic World.

I probably agree, yet I can't help but feel like this movie makes Jurassic World look mildly imaginative. I hope the insane success of both doesn't signal a new era of remake-quels. Yech.

Lastly, I wonder what the theories are concerning Rey's family. I for one think there has to be Skywalker blood there, but not necessarily Luke's daughter. It will be interesting to find out. This whole Star Wars thing has just become the space version of "Keeping Up with the Kardashian's", but with the Skywalker's. "Keeping up with the Skywalker's".

If not a Skywalker then at least one of Luke's pupils. If the parallel's hold then I'm assuming there's going to be the same kind of hidden-on-a-dessert-planet once Kylo/Vader turned and started killing Jedi's dynamic.

I really feel like most of the plot questions I have aren't good mysteries but just poor storytelling. Whatever happened to making a satisfying movie that is still part of a bigger picture?

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2015, 03:46:35 PM »
To earlier comments, Empire Strikes Back is in no way self contained, which is why it is one of the worst entries in the series. Still good.

I too had a "oh, this is what Star Wars looks like with good acting" or lines that don't sabotage the acting.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2015, 03:52:55 PM »
I too had a "oh, this is what Star Wars looks like with good acting" or lines that don't sabotage the acting.

I just don't get this. I do get Hamill, even though he has an earnestness that helps me get over his limited acting ability. But Ford, Fisher, James Earl Jones's voice work, Alec Guinness?

I suppose, I don't even factor in the prequels, which certainly do have some all-time terrible performances.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2015, 04:00:10 PM »
Empire is a middle chapter, and still manages to be way more self contained than TFA. Certainly in the way that you're not waiting on the sequel to make sense of what you've already seen.

I cringed at the dialogue and jokes in this quuuite a lot. Not sure I get that praise. It's not prequels bad but it's still pretty bad. But JJ's sense of humor has never worked for me, and the callbacks every other minute were never going to impress me. Why would I want constant references to things that were cool before instead of trying to give me new things that are actually cool?

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2015, 04:06:33 PM »
Humor has been somewhat of a problem for me in the Star Wars movies : the comedic elements in the prequels irritated me, and simply tended to fall flat in the original trilogy. Not always, there's some funny stuff in the original trilogy, but a lot that doesn't really work either. Here it all worked, in fact that's one of the main strenghts of TFA I think.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2015, 04:07:12 PM »
Luke must be a really, really bad teacher. The guy who understood Vader better than anyone and turned him away from the dark side can't convey that to an impressionable young child?

Bad-yuyu

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2015, 04:17:25 PM »
Is this basically just a remake/rehash? Yes, but I think it is kind of the point, things are cyclical.

I get what you're saying but I can't accept that for myself. If there were just recuring themes fine yes fine. But we're not just rehashing themes we're redoing an entire movie scene by scene. Loved the Cantina-Bar? Here it is again! loved the death star? here it is again! loved the robot taking the data away from the empire on a desert planet full of nomads? here it is again! loved the mentor dies on a space station while the others watch?... you see where I'm going with this! And worst of all I don't think it was done well. To many things happen because the plot demands it. To many problems get "ex machinaed". I hold no special love or grudge for Star Wars and from the perspective of it just being a movie it was a bust for me.

Also I surely hope "better than Jurasic World" isn't the bar we're setting for movies from now on. That's a pretty low bar :D

How did everyone feel about the first battle scene with Fin as storm trooper, with the blood and the helmet and what nat?

That scene was well done actually made me hope they were going to humanize Storm Troopers and make Storm Troopers a meaningfull part of the movie and a real threat. But it ended up being just to set up Finn and then go back to faceless, emotionless, useless Stormtroopers (except the one random Stormtropper with anti Lightsabre Gear). Another wasted chance for me.

Humor has been somewhat of a problem for me in the Star Wars movies

There is this humor that's in ALL the Star Wars movies, ALL the lords of the Rings movies, ALL teh Pirates of the Carabean movies.. I think most of those big blockbuster adventures, that I find so slapstick and almost unbearable. There were some fun parts but everything concerning C3PO for example makes me instanly want to sigh. But it seems all Hollywood Blockbusters "desperately need" slapstick humor so I'm not gonna give Star Wars extra crap about it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 05:48:46 PM by Bad-yuyu »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2015, 04:50:59 PM »
I do agree that they failed to extend humanity of storm troopers as much as they should have to not make it feel like a convenience. Still, that scene of was effective.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2015, 06:34:45 PM »
at least it's better than Jurassic World.

I probably agree, yet I can't help but feel like this movie makes Jurassic World look mildly imaginative. I hope the insane success of both doesn't signal a new era of remake-quels. Yech.
Okay, sure, but once you remove the hype that is Star Wars, the film is about on par with Guardians of the Galaxy.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2015, 07:39:12 PM »
No Marvel film is better than SW:TFA. There, I said it.

But then I'm cold on Marvel.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:42:54 PM by Bondo »