love

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens  (Read 26255 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
Corndog, your enthusiasm is something I will hold onto. :)

I had forgotten Luke though they were searching for him, Poe Dameron his unknown story and who he is felt neglected.  Oscar Isaac is a personal favorite and I wish I could have seen more, perhaps the sequels will redeem these questions and resurrect my hope.

That's right! I remember you looking forward to Isaac being in the movie. He had one of my favorite moments in the film and I was disappointed that he didn't end up being a main part. He also has a story to tell!

More of this please!

"Do I talk first or you talk first? I talk first?" :))

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2016, 04:54:57 PM »
Poe is a pretty great character. I can't imagine the writer of Brick and The Brothers Bloom not giving him a large part in the next two movies. Saw an interesting article a few weeks back speculating that Dameron might be gay, which would also be a really cool thing to do. If nothing else, Rey and Finn have been spectacular forces for good in the pop culture universe, and maybe this later development would continue the trend.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2016, 05:04:55 PM »
Poe is a pretty great character. I can't imagine the writer of Brick and The Brothers Bloom not giving him a large part in the next two movies. Saw an interesting article a few weeks back speculating that Dameron might be gay, which would also be a really cool thing to do. If nothing else, Rey and Finn have been spectacular forces for good in the pop culture universe, and maybe this later development would continue the trend.

I think it would depend on how they play it. To me, if he is gay just to be gay, I don't like it, a la Dumbledore in Harry Potter. If it has no relevancy to the plot, then it feels like its being progressive just so it can claim to be progressive. If depth is added to such a revelation, such that it gives us further insight into the character fast superficially knowing his sexuality, or furthers the plot in some way, then I would be for it, of course.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2016, 05:14:07 PM »
Lol yes there was actually a lot of very funny moments and his was really good in that scene! 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2016, 05:17:16 PM »
Being progressive to be progressive is how progress happens. Poe is already arguably the coolest new character, if he is either explicitly or subtextually gay, that's a pretty cool thing to do by me. I didn't love the Dumbledore thing because it came out after the fact. If it's in the film to begin with, I'd be into it.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2016, 06:24:22 PM »
I think in time, everyone's story will be filled out. This is a trilogy, so the thought is it is one long story. I certainly have hope that the gaps will be filled in, which is why the open questions TFA left didn't seem to bother me, just excite me for VIII.

I feel like this movie is being given a pass on skimmed-over characters, missing back-story, and unnecessary mysteries that any other movie wouldn't. The movie itself feels like a trailer for the rest of the trilogy, and just because they might fill it in later doesn't make this movie any better. I can't think of a first-entry in a trilogy that did a poorer job establishing itself for it's sequels. I have faith in Rian Johnson, but I'm worried he's going to have to spend half his movie covering stuff that should have already been covered.

I think it would depend on how they play it. To me, if he is gay just to be gay, I don't like it, a la Dumbledore in Harry Potter. If it has no relevancy to the plot, then it feels like its being progressive just so it can claim to be progressive. If depth is added to such a revelation, such that it gives us further insight into the character fast superficially knowing his sexuality, or furthers the plot in some way, then I would be for it, of course.

I agree that it's a question of execution, but I don't agree that it needs to be a plot-point or revelation. Both could be done poorly but I think it's okay for people just to be gay without it being a big deal (just like in real life!).

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #116 on: January 05, 2016, 09:29:13 PM »
I think in time, everyone's story will be filled out. This is a trilogy, so the thought is it is one long story. I certainly have hope that the gaps will be filled in, which is why the open questions TFA left didn't seem to bother me, just excite me for VIII.

I feel like this movie is being given a pass on skimmed-over characters, missing back-story, and unnecessary mysteries that any other movie wouldn't. The movie itself feels like a trailer for the rest of the trilogy, and just because they might fill it in later doesn't make this movie any better. I can't think of a first-entry in a trilogy that did a poorer job establishing itself for it's sequels.

Prometheus, which to me is the best example of a film that was so busy "world building" it left the movie with a frustratingly long list of questions.

I feel like Force Awakens is being scrutinized like few movies in history. Star Wars (Ep. 4) has about the same amount of character building, missing back story and mystery. I like that we are dropped into the world without a ocean of explanation. On the other hand, the characters are far from skimmed-over. I left Force Awakens satisfied with what I saw and excited to see what comes next, not carrying a mental list of things I hope get explained.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2016, 09:43:22 PM »
Welcome to the film corner of the internet, where everything must be absolutely perfect or it is terrible. Say "thank you" to Honest Trailers, Red Letter Media, and the like for their part in it. Throw in a series which everybody loves but is not actually that good to begin with and you've got yourself a recipe for ultra-critical reactions.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2016, 11:23:38 PM »
Saw a speculative post on a blog I read that was thinking it was setting up Rey as too quick to use the Force in anger against Kylo and perhaps she'll be susceptible to the dark side, meanwhile I still think they are telegraphing that Kylo has fairly weak attachment to the dark side. So we might see a role reversal by the end. Not sure I could take Rey being a baddie though. Unless she travels through space-time and starts chopping up Men's Rights Activists with her lightsaber. I'd be on board with that Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back inspired turn of events.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2016, 01:29:45 AM »
Prometheus, which to me is the best example of a film that was so busy "world building" it left the movie with a frustratingly long list of questions.

Ohh, that's a good one. Was it conceived of as a trilogy? I thought it was just poorly written.

I feel like Force Awakens is being scrutinized like few movies in history. Star Wars (Ep. 4) has about the same amount of character building, missing back story and mystery. I like that we are dropped into the world without a ocean of explanation. On the other hand, the characters are far from skimmed-over. I left Force Awakens satisfied with what I saw and excited to see what comes next, not carrying a mental list of things I hope get explained.

I'm not seeing the scrutiny and I can't agree about the characters, but we may just have different definitions of those things.

What equivalent problems do you think A New Hope has? That movie is so much more focused that it has less to explain, yet still provides more clarity and world-building through natural exposition. The only "mysteries" I can think of are just things that are only unanswered in the context of questions asked later.

Welcome to the film corner of the internet, where everything must be absolutely perfect or it is terrible. Say "thank you" to Honest Trailers, Red Letter Media, and the like for their part in it.

I agree that those types of "criticism" are terrible, but this sounds a lot like "anyone who disagrees with me is a hater" logic.