love

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens  (Read 26243 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2016, 10:20:28 AM »

I'm loving the attention this character is generating at the moment. Like Boba Fett in Empire, there's no telling who fans are going to latch onto. After the tease of Captain Phasma turned out to be a fizzle, we have FN-2199 (dubbed TR-8R by fans for his shout of "Traitor!" to Finn before ditching his gun and shield for that thing on his arm.) Never mind that this guy seems to have weapons nobody else has, it's a brief moment that seems to shout, "You want Star Wars!?! We Got All the Star Wars You Can Handle!"

There is currently no merchandise on this character, but it's only a matter of time.

I have no idea why this character wasn't Captain Phasma. It was the perfect point in the movie for her to confront Finn and show what a badass she is.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2016, 10:50:01 AM »
Yeah, I'm seriously so boggled that they didn't use Phasma there. That had to have been the intent originally, right? It would even be somewhat justifiable why she might be trained with an anti-lightsaber weapon.

Personally I can handle a lot more Star Wars than that. :P I assume the only reason he's been latched onto is because there's so few new-feeling things to latch onto.

Totoro

« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2016, 10:10:42 PM »
I didn't say that actors were the only important element in a movie. What I said was that they ALONG WITH THE DIRECTION were the conduits for the script because that is quite literally what they are. Allegories that might be present in the script can be lost in translation because it is the work of a director and actors to bring a script to life. If they screw that up because of a lack of skill, things visible in the script might disappear on screen. See The Revenant's muddled mess for another example.

You can read the script for THE REVENANT and whatever allegory Inarritu is going for still isn't there.

I mean, there's a far more depth in the novel of THE AGE OF INNOCENCE but I guess since it's not a movie, it's not really there, right?

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2016, 11:31:45 PM »
I don't know what we're saying anymore. My contention is that the execution of a film can effect whether or not a bit of subtext is transferred from the script to the screen.

Books work in a similar way. An author who might be intending to convey an idea or message or bit of subtext might be undermined by their lack of execution or skill as a writer.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Totoro

« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2016, 02:16:24 AM »
And I'm just saying that allegory and thematic material (nothing about Luke's arc relies on subtext) can be found on each and every screenplay.

Tell you what. How about you read a screenplay of a film you've never watched - and it has to be like a complete shooting draft. Then watch the movie. Tell me wherein lies the differences in allegory and theme between the two. You'll find, for instance, in LOOPER, that pretty much all of the themes and ideas and even the mirroring allegory of Joe and Cid from the film are there in the script.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 02:18:06 AM by Totoro »

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #175 on: January 14, 2016, 09:37:29 AM »
Yeah, but Looper is a good movie. I'm not denying that there can be allegory and subtext in a script. I'm saying that it doesn't transfer to the screen in a bad film.

EternalSunshine

• Coming to you from Chicago!
    • Letterboxd.com/dickless1der
« Reply #176 on: January 20, 2016, 03:57:39 PM »
mass produced garbage
Michael Mendez

Totoro

« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2016, 07:36:45 PM »
Yeah, but Looper is a good movie. I'm not denying that there can be allegory and subtext in a script. I'm saying that it doesn't transfer to the screen in a bad film.

Allegory most certainly does. I found it in A NEW HOPE and it's not even subtextual. Are you saying that I am projecting?

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 06, 2016, 12:28:50 AM »
Kinda feel better now about missing out on this movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs3sVrm_W4o
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #179 on: April 06, 2016, 01:03:33 AM »
I mean, if you want to engage in a real conversation about the movie you might want to see the movie.

This mostly rehashes conversations we had here in this thread. There's some connection they try to make between it being a remake of A New Hope and it being bad, but, to quote a different thread, show your work. That's an observation, not an opinion. It's a lot of nit-picking about fan service and Mary Sue's, but there's no real engaging with the film as its own thing. And then it has a whole minute of fan-service of it's own at the end!

love