Poll

What is the best way to experience a Studio Ghibli film?

Subtitled
Dubbed

Author Topic: Studio Ghibli: Dubbed or Subbed  (Read 983 times)

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Studio Ghibli: Dubbed or Subbed
« on: December 21, 2015, 03:51:10 PM »
Spawn from my upcoming marathon of the films, I would love to hear Filmspotters debate which of the versions of the films is the best to experience, and why. 1SO has already chimed in on the matter. What say you!?

Studio Ghibli dubs are among the best you'll find, (most of them supervised and directed by the Pixar brain trust) but of course that's not the purist way to go. Then again some Ghibli subs use dubtitles, which means it's not a true translation of the Japanese language but instead just subs of the English dub.

In this case I lean towards dubs.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: Studio Ghibli: Dubbed or Subbed
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 04:10:59 PM »
I've watched Howl's, Spirited Away, Mononoke, and Nausicaa both ways. In no case did I think dubbed was better, and on many occasions it was noticeably worse or actively distracting. IMO even the best dubbed just loses a lot in the process.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 04:34:09 PM »
Do I need to be the pedant that points out that everyone watches these dubbed, some just not in language they understand, forcing them to pay less attention to the beautiful images.

Also to the extent I've done Japanese dub, it seems more loud.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 04:49:02 PM »
Subs. It's a trade-off either way, but you learn to take in the subtitles with quick glances, allowing yourself to also take in the images. I'd be more willing to listen to subs if they were closer to literal translations, but they rarely are. Also, the subbed voice actors tend to be directed by someone other than the original director.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 04:51:43 PM »
Subbed all the way for me. Helps that I love the sound of Japanese in general, but I also don't see why it would be different from any other movie. Yeah you don't have the image/sound discrepancy but you wouldn't watch a Fellini film dubbed right ? Yet the image/sound discrepancy is the same there in both cases.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 09:15:09 PM »
Mononoke was better subbed, certainly.  Spirited Away I have a love for the dubs.  The rest I could go either.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 10:02:20 PM »
Yeah you don't have the image/sound discrepancy but you wouldn't watch a Fellini film dubbed right ?

I would and have. Granted, I will generally take a dub option if it is available.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 08:53:33 AM »
Always be subbing.