Author Topic: Netflix's Making a Murderer (some posts have spoilers)  (Read 7940 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Netflix's Making a Murderer
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 08:24:25 AM »
The case against Brendan is even weaker. For me the moment they start suggesting what happens I disregard the entire confession. Gotta teach these cops how to do their job by assuring they never get prosecutions when they don't do it properly.

Not to mention that his lawyer never insisted to be present and his mum says she was never asked.  When watching something like this, I know I can always be influenced by the editing (I will have to read through Saltines links another day) but I just don't understand how his whole case just wouldn't have been completely thrown out.

Plus, I remember the prosecutor saying something to the effect that the crime didn't take play in the trailer but the garage during one the responses in Steven's case. 

I first heard of this on /Filmcast and they were making a point about how it is such a counter example to something like The Jinx.  There you have somebody guilty but he has all the money and almost gets every break possible if not for his own fault in the end.  Here you most likely have somebody innocent but of little means and gets crushed at every possibility.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: Netflix's Making a Murderer (some posts have spoilers)
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 04:25:18 PM »
Bondo, are you listening to Oral Argument podcast?  It's quite informal; two law profs (young by the sound of their voices) talk and argue points of law, legal cases, and how the law affects everyone of us. 

Listened to a few episodes of this now and I'm mostly on board. They share my relative disdain for intellectual property protection.

:)

Christian says that when you decide to study law "you are joining the conversation." I love that.
Texan Down Under

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: Netflix's Making a Murderer
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 04:35:43 PM »
The case against Brendan is even weaker. For me the moment they start suggesting what happens I disregard the entire confession. Gotta teach these cops how to do their job by assuring they never get prosecutions when they don't do it properly.

Not to mention that his lawyer never insisted to be present and his mum says she was never asked.  When watching something like this, I know I can always be influenced by the editing (I will have to read through Saltines links another day) but I just don't understand how his whole case just wouldn't have been completely thrown out.

Plus, I remember the prosecutor saying something to the effect that the crime didn't take play in the trailer but the garage during one the responses in Steven's case. 

I first heard of this on /Filmcast and they were making a point about how it is such a counter example to something like The Jinx.  There you have somebody guilty but he has all the money and almost gets every break possible if not for his own fault in the end.  Here you most likely have somebody innocent but of little means and gets crushed at every possibility.

It's not just their lack of money (after all, Steven Avery was able to spend $400K on his own defense) but the lack of position in the community.  When the greater community heard "something bad about the Averys," they believed it with no evidence or reason because the Averys had no standing in the community.
Texan Down Under

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 07:54:27 PM »
This article is interesting in that the petitions are asking for a full pardon, not a re-trial.  (Of course, a re-trial in that county would be a waste of money.)

Over 100K Sign Petitions Calling for Release of Making a Murderer Subject
Texan Down Under

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 08:32:26 PM »
Not sure "based on the evidence presented in the Netflix series" is the strongest argument for a pardon.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 09:08:42 PM »
Not sure "based on the evidence presented in the Netflix series" is the strongest argument for a pardon.

That was my feeling too.  I didn't sign, but was interested in going for the pardon over the re-trial.
Texan Down Under

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 12:29:53 AM »
Probably tonight I can look through the links.  I did wonder why they released this now as it seems to have been in the works for a very long time.  They could have waited until the Federal court makes a ruling or not to take up the case or maybe they wanted to influence that decision?  It seemed like all possibilities were getting exhausted to ever be able to challenge the rulings.

There were things I just didn't understand why the lawyers didn't challenge more but perhaps they were lost in the edit.

Why the replacement lawyer didn't try to get all of Brendan's testimony thrown out as it was not done with his lawyer or parent.  The Prosecutor said the mother gave permission but she denied it, why was she never on the stand to try to get that part excluded?

Why didn't they use more of the tape conversations between Brendan and his mother where he admits that none of it really happened

In the end it seemed his entire case was all based on his confession.

For Steven and the blood, it doesn't seem like they ever actually had the blood vile go through the same test as the blood scraped from the car.  It would seem like they should at least have confirmed that the test could accurately measure the preservative that they were looking for and not just get the results from the few samples provided by the police.

Just no time yet to go through and understand what was left out...
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 12:47:09 AM »
For Steven and the blood, it doesn't seem like they ever actually had the blood vile go through the same test as the blood scraped from the car.

I think they did. I'm pretty sure it's mentioned, but only in passing.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 02:18:35 AM »
Bottom line:  Did the police interfere with evidence in this case in any manner?  What do y'all think?
Texan Down Under

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 03:42:01 AM »
Bottom line:  Did the police interfere with evidence in this case in any manner?  What do y'all think?

Yes. I think the key, bullet and blood was planted