Author Topic: Netflix's Making a Murderer (some posts have spoilers)  (Read 7936 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Netflix's Making a Murderer (some posts have spoilers)
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 08:21:40 AM »
It's one of those damned if they did, damned if they didn't things. Either they planted the key and bullet (in particular) and thus the whole case is undercut, or they were extraordinarily incompetent in their initial searches to have missed them that they were discovered days after initial searches, and that kind of undercuts the whole case too.

I've still never heard a good explanation why he was putting her in the car in the first place if he burned her feet from where he allegedly killed her (or why he randomly had a few other locations to burn her). I don't understand why someone so careless as to park her vehicle on his own lot, with her and his blood in it, is suddenly such a whiz at covering up a crime scene that no blood is in the house or garage. Speaking of which, they talk about blood swipes in her care that represent her hair sweeping across. Did they show that was indeed her blood, and how do we think that got there if we are saying his blood was planted...did they plant some of hers in her own car too, or was that part of the actual crime scene?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 08:25:58 AM »
For Steven and the blood, it doesn't seem like they ever actually had the blood vile go through the same test as the blood scraped from the car.

I think they did. I'm pretty sure it's mentioned, but only in passing.

I thought the FBI only mentioned receiving 3 samples from the car but never actually tested the blood from the vile but perhaps I missed it there since it was 10 hours and there were a few moments I ran out and didn't pause it.  I just kept thinking when they were going to ask to see how the actual test performed to the old evidence
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 08:29:06 AM »
It's one of those damned if they did, damned if they didn't things. Either they planted the key and bullet (in particular) and thus the whole case is undercut, or they were extraordinarily incompetent in their initial searches to have missed them that they were discovered days after initial searches, and that kind of undercuts the whole case too.

I've still never heard a good explanation why he was putting her in the car in the first place if he burned her feet from where he allegedly killed her (or why he randomly had a few other locations to burn her). I don't understand why someone so careless as to park her vehicle on his own lot, with her and his blood in it, is suddenly such a whiz at covering up a crime scene that no blood is in the house or garage. Speaking of which, they talk about blood swipes in her care that represent her hair sweeping across. Did they show that was indeed her blood, and how do we think that got there if we are saying his blood was planted...did they plant some of hers in her own car too, or was that part of the actual crime scene?

That is the thing about the garage, it never looked like it was cleaned.  The police never mention that it was cleaned with bleach like they always find in Law & Order when somebody covers up a crime.  There was so much junk and crap in there that I doubt anybody could have cleaned it up and still have it also look so dirty. 
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2016, 03:45:43 PM »
How Brendan was found guilty, especially on count 2, completely baffles me. Steven was found not guilty of mutilation and Brendan was despite not a single piece of evidence. He was railroaded and now he's going to pay the price for 58 years. Seeing him years later not in the best shape was CINECAST!ing sad.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 07:23:05 PM »
How Brendan was found guilty, especially on count 2, completely baffles me. Steven was found not guilty of mutilation and Brendan was despite not a single piece of evidence. He was railroaded and now he's going to pay the price for 58 years. Seeing him years later not in the best shape was CINECAST!ing sad.

That is the most bizarre outcome.  It seemed like introducing Bredan's confession and events to Steven's trial would have caused more questions than answers.  In ways, it seemed to contradict the story the prosecutor told which was that she wasn't killed in the house but the garage.  Yet Bredan's confession was that he raped and stabbed her while she was tied to his bed.

His case had no evidence, just that "confession"

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 06:46:47 AM »
The bit about the police finding the key on the 7th or 8th search reminded me of the bit in Life of Brian, where the Romans keep going back to the PFJ headquarters. "There's one place we didn't look..." etc.

"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 07:07:39 PM »
Making a Murderer: Brendan Dassey has conviction overturned

Brendan Dassey, one of the men who were the focus of the critically acclaimed Netflix documentary Making a Murderer, has had his conviction overturned.

Dassey, 26, had been convicted of first-degree intentional homicide, second-degree sexual assault, and mutilation of a corpse.

He was serving a sentence of 41 years jail in Columbia Correctional Institution in the US state of Wisconsin.

He was not due for parole until 2048.

Dassey's case was resurrected in court by the Northwestern University's Centre on Wrongful Convictions of Youth.

Their argument hinged on the claim that Dassey's confession was forced, and that he was "fed" details of the case by his police interrogators.

During the original investigation Dassey, who is said to have a low IQ, was questioned three times with no legal representation or adult present.

Dassey initially confessed but then later recanted his confession.

He was 17 at the time.

The decision by a federal judge in Milwaukee to overturned the conviction means Dassey could be a free man within 90 days.That would presume that the state of Wisconsin does not attempt to refile the charges.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 07:12:55 PM »
That is good, I hear there is supposes to be another series on this case to come out at some point

love