Author Topic: The Hateful Eight  (Read 7897 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: The Hateful Eight
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 12:52:19 PM »
It actually made me quite sad when I realized that. I thought Roth was terrific, but at some point I realized everyone would just compare him to Waltz.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 12:54:13 PM »
Totally agree Melvil. Really liked Roth, but my realization that he was very Waltz-y made me sad, while still appreciating his performance.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 01:26:41 PM »
I think the extra layer of performance there is interesting. In the flashback we see his (probably) real accent and it seems pretty cockney-like while his accent and demeanor for much of the film is almost camp-levels of over-the-top posh london-ish aceent and mannerisms. It is yet another version of a character not being who they seem to be at first.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 01:42:48 PM »
Also, I've been to Wyoming in present day. I find it hard to believe that so many people would cross paths there in a post-Civil War time period given how few people are there today... #NotARealCriticism
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 01:47:21 PM »
Well, seems a tad unlikely that some random gal from Auckland would be there.

@Junior: Yeah, I noticed that accent switch. I also laughed about this:

6. The Little Man - Roth, even though he is the real Hangman

Because in the end we know that Roth's character is no hangman. But he also seems to be the one who verifies that the Sheriff is actually the Sheriff. Would he actually have the knowledge to verify this?

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 08:15:40 PM »
Also, I've been to Wyoming in present day. I find it hard to believe that so many people would cross paths there in a post-Civil War time period given how few people are there today... #NotARealCriticism

Haha! Yep, a whole lotta nothing up there in Wyoming. Long stretches of it.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 10:16:44 AM »
Probably the best example of this is the penultimate chapter of the film, told as a flashback. A less indulgent, more confident storyteller wouldn't need this chapter at all. That storyteller would let a blood stain in the present speak for itself.

I can't agree enough. This is the type of indulgent reveling in the grotesque that has ruined Tarantino's last few movies for me. It's especially a shame here, because it is already so effective without seeing it, and there's really nothing gained by laying it all out for us. The violence also becomes dulled by over-use, robbing the climactic sequences of impact.

These quotes pretty much summed up my experience.  When they showed the "earlier that morning" segment it started to lose me.  The violence that took place just started to make me feel gross, and I'm not typically bothered or affected by that kind of thing, but did they really have to double tap everyone so blood would just spurt out, to show the senseless killing of those at Millie's in such a horrible fashion? And from then on in the actual story, it just went on and on to a point where I was ready to be done with it.  I'm a Tarantino fan, and this just felt silly and grotesque.  I was with it up until that point, but it lost me in a big way.  This was by far my least favorite of his films. 
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 10:48:03 AM »
ses, did you enjoy the movie up until any point? We're on the same page about those last chapters, but I was really enjoying a lot of the earlier parts for the tension and character building before it went overboard. Just wondering if you consider it your least favorite of his films on the whole or if the end really sank it for you.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 10:55:55 AM »
It really sank for me.  I was enjoying it up until the flashback to Millie's in the morning.  I liked Kurt Russell's hammy-ness, Roth's delightful Englishman, Goggins being a more green version of his Boyd Crowder character from Justified, and the overall dialogue and tension.  Sam Jackson just seems to relish in his character which makes it fun (however, I thought the visuals of his story about the General's son was unnecessary), and I did enjoy his "Poirot" moment with the stew and deducing that Bob hadn't worked there for 4 months like he claimed. I was totally with it, and something just switched for me during the flashback where I literally felt gross watching it.  That's the best way to describe it, it felt gross and rather pointless. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:59:14 AM by ses »
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 11:26:28 AM »
A locked room mystery where the door has been nailed shut. Tarantino, the killer of subtle.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

love