Author Topic: The Hateful Eight  (Read 7896 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: The Hateful Eight
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 11:53:56 AM »
Complaining about a lack of subtlety in a Tarantino film is like complaining about a lack of subtlety in a Sergio Leone film. This is Grand Guignol.

EternalSunshine

• Coming to you from Chicago!
    • Letterboxd.com/dickless1der
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 02:39:32 PM »
I can agree with that.

Sorry guys, I am not really keeping up with the convo's but I just wanted to add that this was by far one of my most favorite Tarantino experiences ever. Going back to his early roots from Reservoir Dogs mixed with the Agatha Christie aspect, I think this film was  made at the right time. Not only that, but we also see a bit of heart to the film (Lincoln Letter, hugs, etc. etc.) which I was not expecting from Tarantino at all. It is the subtleness of the film that makes me think it can win Best Screenplay.

Anyone agree?!
Michael Mendez

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 04:51:35 AM »
Having Domergue hang at the end was a resolution to the subtext of frontier justice to ordered justice? Having explained that real justice involved trying and convicting a criminal, then having a dispassionate hangman carry out the execution and that you needed to publicly execute the real mean ones for a purpose? Which part of having two dying men string her up (as against just killing her by shooting her) accomplishes any of that? How do they honour Ruth by doing that? Tarantino doesn't even respect his own theme. This as against the thought "just shoot her" which was strongest at the point Ruth was dying sitting next to her with a gun in his hand. So he punches her.

So what is the least meaningless way of killing her? That's a redundant decision making process at that point. To generalise, he's been operating at that level for a long time now. It's simply the latest example of it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:54:53 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

EternalSunshine

• Coming to you from Chicago!
    • Letterboxd.com/dickless1der
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 09:41:35 AM »
Did you guys hear that they may adapt this film into a bloody-theatrical performance??
Michael Mendez

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2016, 08:49:05 PM »
A word on the actors. Samuel Jackson is a joy to watch as he revels in his character. Tim Roth did have the performance that most stayed with me - but then, me and British accents...And Boggins absolutely does have a great character arc.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/