love

Author Topic: 2015 Discoveries  (Read 8936 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: 2015 Discoveries
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2016, 05:00:47 PM »
My super late list of 2015 discoveries.

About Elly

America finally gets a release of one of the most talked about Iranian films. The less said about this film the better. It’s a slow burn to a great final act and you’re absolutely want to see this film blind. Asghar Farhadi is establishing himself as one of the best international filmmakers and going back to this work only solidifies his status in the world of cinema.

After watching A Separation a couple of months ago, I am willing to blind buy this on Blu Ray.  I probably place an order in a few weeks as I will be traveling.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2016, 10:43:44 PM »
About Elly is at my library!

I'll start with that one Sam, but will come back to get more ideas later. Thanks for the compilation!

Oh, and it's so good to see you here!

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2016, 04:09:09 AM »
My best of last year's revelations and oldies (very loosely interpreted term here) (no order):

Saló, or the 120 Days of Sodom
The Red Shoes
Singin' in the Rain
(thanks go to Sally)
Three Colours Trilogy
Do The Right Thing
The Cabin in the Woods
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
Scott Pilgrim vs The World
(credit to srminoff)
In the Mood for Love
Speed Racer
Certified Copy

There are also movies that I watched before I started keeping track that I may be forgetting. Special mention to Chasing Amy, that I may be underrating here.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2016, 11:45:38 AM »
That's a solid list. Love seeing Three Colors Trilogy, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, Speed Racer and Certified Copy.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2016, 05:01:29 PM »
My super late list of 2015 discoveries.

About Elly

America finally gets a release of one of the most talked about Iranian films. The less said about this film the better. It’s a slow burn to a great final act and you’re absolutely want to see this film blind. Asghar Farhadi is establishing himself as one of the best international filmmakers and going back to this work only solidifies his status in the world of cinema.

After watching A Separation a couple of months ago, I am willing to blind buy this on Blu Ray.  I probably place an order in a few weeks as I will be traveling.

Good idea, I will join you! And nice personalised lists from everyone.

My main discovery was that I need to record when I watch something. I am doing that in 2016 so will look forward to contributing.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2016, 06:09:30 PM »
I placed my order yesterday so should have it and quite a few others in a couple of weeks.  Have to get $150 worth in order to get free shipping
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2016, 08:27:50 PM »
Oh, and I forgot to mention the splendid Pain and Gain which was a discovery in that I honestly could not have expected to like a Michael Bay movie so much.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2016, 10:34:56 PM »
Yeah it's such a cinematic anomaly. I think the script bears comparison to Goodfellas in spinning comedy and satire from a bunch of hideous people, while Bay uses his typical style and creates art with it, attacking his own fanbase in the process. I'm looking forward to watching it again.

It's also interesting that about 75% of people who watch it think it's equal to Bay's other trash or the worst thing he's ever done, but then comes one of us who can't believe how great it is. Even the acting is well above average for this cast.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2016, 12:20:27 AM »
Agree with everything above. Although I take exception at the acting thing ; The Rock is usually good at parodying the roles his sort of body figure usually gets typecast in.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2016, 03:54:12 PM »
Pain and Gain might be the one Michael Bay movie I'd actually be interested in seeing.

love