Author Topic: Reboot Filmspotting  (Read 5468 times)

His Bobness

Reboot Filmspotting
« on: January 02, 2016, 06:45:49 PM »
I've been listening to your show for about three years. I've found I only tune in now for the specials, especially those featuring Michael Phillips.  Since you're asking for heartfelt and honest criticism, I think in this age of reboots, Filmspotting itself should be the next candidate.

The problem I think is your feature reviews are too long, too wordy and too earnest. Do you really need 25 minutes discussing the latest Marvel blockbuster? Honestly, those movies are pieces of capitalist product and can usually be dismissed in a couple of minutes. As it is, you approach every piece of Hollywood fluff as if it is the Battleship Potemkin.

If I were your producer, I would make the segments shorter, punchier and wittier. You need a ratings system, if not a star-based one (which admittedly is hackneyed), something approaching the "buy it-burn it-bin it" model of the Sound Opinion guys. 

I also think the balance of your presenters is wrong. You've got two Mid-West, very serious and very verbose film nerds when you really can only afford one. Adam or Josh need a foil. That's why the Matty Ballgame guy worked so well. One of the team needs to be the cheeky, irreverent one who pricks the other guy's self-important po-mo bubble from time to time.

Michael Phillips has that. I hesitate to call it anything so broad as a sense of humour, but I think a culture critic needs a dash of cynicism along with the fanboy completionist act.

Another suggestion is to dump 'massacre theatre'. It might have been funny once, but it really is a laboured and very stale routine. You need to freshen the format up. Maybe have someone read an appalling Oscar acceptance speech and have you listeners guess who it was. Alongside your Top 5s do some Bottom 5s - most over-rated movies of the year, for instance.

Lastly, I want to thank Adam for being the almost perfect reverse indicator of a movie's worth. His total lack of judgement about the frankly juvenile and self-indulgent work of Quentin Tarantino is a case in point. Wasn't "Django Unchained" his TOP movie of the year a couple of years back?? Honestly, how has that pick stood the test of time?

I'd vote for a Filmspotting hosted by Michael Phillips and Scott Tobias, even bettern Michael Phillips and Dana Stevens. But this show, as it is, is way, way past its use-by-date.

Sorry about that.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Reboot Filmspotting
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 06:50:50 PM »
Although I agree that Michael Phillips is a better foil than Josh, and the shows with the three of them are better, I don't think it's time for a reboot.  There have already been Filmspotting reboots in the past, and it draws energy from the show, and I like the fact that Adam can take breaks sometimes, which gives the show a lift. 

Frankly, the show is great, it has more listeners than ever, and it remains consistently entertaining and educational.  This is despite me listening to the show since near the beginning of the Matty years.

I am sorry, sir, but I must disagree.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 07:05:50 PM »
If you don't like the hosts or segments, there's nothing left but the name. You'd be better off requesting that the critics you like start their own show.

Though if all these changes happened it could lead to an interesting Theseus's Ship style paradox!

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 08:07:03 PM »
I'm not entirely in disagreement about the massacre theatre and Top 5 comment. Would be nice to see some new segment introduced. I mean, this summer they spent repeating Top 5s, which I think shows that it has maybe run its course a little. The main review is detailed and that is great when I've seen the film but makes the podcast a bit of a "save for later" venture otherwise. Backing up the main review I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more small, quick reviews of other things being watched (new releases not being featured, older films) like they've done from time to time like Matty's Movie Minute. Or there are the blind spots or sacred cow specials. Otherwise, getting the marathons going more consistently would be more interesting than Top 5s.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 09:29:56 PM »
Lastly, I want to thank Adam for being the almost perfect reverse indicator of a movie's worth. His total lack of judgement about the frankly juvenile and self-indulgent work of Quentin Tarantino is a case in point. Wasn't "Django Unchained" his TOP movie of the year a couple of years back?? Honestly, how has that pick stood the test of time?

His Bobness, Adam is a critic who sees value in things you do not, and thinks little of things you see value in, but as with all movie watching some people have your taste, others do not. So Adam does not reflect your tastes (and most likely others), but his insight and reviews plenty of others agree with.

I also still enjoy Massacre theatre and miss that it is no longer weekly.

The bottom 5 is interesting, but it is such a negative look at the world and I like the overall positive vibe of the show.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 10:57:53 PM »
Adam or Josh need a foil. That's why the Matty Ballgame guy worked so well. One of the team needs to be the cheeky, irreverent one who pricks the other guy's self-important po-mo bubble from time to time.
Nah, part of the fun of this host pairing is that they disagree more often than any other Filmspotting iteration. Also, I think they've generally developed a very good and playful chemistry.

Lastly, I want to thank Adam for being the almost perfect reverse indicator of a movie's worth
lol
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

JakeIsntFake

• Nothing that a few mega-vitamins couldn't cure
    • 2015 Watchlist
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 11:04:06 PM »
However, if every episode had Adam, Josh, and Michael and Scott, I would do a jig.
What a world
"The detail of the pattern is movement"
ICheckMovies
Top 40

His Bobness

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 11:10:28 PM »
Fair enough responses to my criticisms. I think Filmspotting is salvageable. And I respect the fact that others think differently. But my view is the format is stale, the reviews are too long and the hosts lack either chemistry, wit or flair. I'll stick to the specials.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 01:04:35 PM »
Django... good flick. Sorry, was merely my #2 of that year actually.

Not interested in a more structured ratings system, will never have one. You can look at our Letterboxd diaries if you want ratings.

Not interested in shorter main reviews, almost certainly will never do them. (We'd do more shorter reviews to augment the main one but that would require the time to see more new releases.)

As it is, you approach every piece of Hollywood fluff as if it is the Battleship Potemkin.
You pretty much just described our mission statement, so...

We already made a change with Massacre Theatre - every other week instead of weekly, probably 2 years ago now. Don't see it ever going away completely.

Bondo - I'm not sure how re-playing Top 5's proves anything except we feel like a semi-break in the summertime is something we need, and the top 5's typically require a lot of time to prepare. We plan to do it again this summer.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 05:18:03 PM »
Nice, Adam. You guys "keep doing what you're doing."

I just donated to prove my point.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

love