Author Topic: Top 10 of 2015  (Read 6490 times)

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
Re: Top 10 of 2015
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2016, 11:54:31 PM »
Wonderful writeups, sdb_1970! Thank you for compiling them.

Thanks, Sandy ... Normally, I would say now that I've shown you mine, how about you show me yours ... But I know better  ;)
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2016, 12:33:17 AM »
 :D

I've been watching the wrong 2015 movies, because I'm unable to make a top 5 list from them. I enjoyed, but didn't love, The Martian, The Force Awakens and Mockingjay Part 2. Your list is MUCH more compelling. I think I'll try for Me and Earl and the Dying Girl soon.

The best movies I saw in 2015 weren't from 2015. :)

Discoveries

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2016, 01:31:29 AM »
sdb, I have not seen a single one of your top 10.

For me Mad Max was number 2 (although before I looked at my rating I thought it would be number 1), because it is such a visceral experience and such a cinematic experience, it needs to be seen on a cinema screen to be best appreciated.

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2016, 04:17:06 AM »
Nice write-ups. Haven't seen The Gift and Anomalisa, for the rest of your Top 10 we do agree at least on Slow West.

My choices for the most underseen films of the year (I’m talking to you letterboxd followees):
- Blind
#5 of 2014 and #4 on my Filmspot-eligible composite list.
- The Keeping Room
Liked this better than it probably deserves. Making a Western predominantly about women is one way to get past my lack of interest in the genre (the other is to just make a great film, i.e. Slow West).
- Peace Officer
Not seen.
- Stations of the Cross
Urgh, Brüggemann. I think I hate him even more than Schipper.

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2016, 09:38:05 AM »
@sandy:  I saw your review of The Cranes Are Flying on LB, and I really need to check that out (they didn't have the DVD at my indie video store, which is usually pretty good) - could be a Harakiri-level discovery for me as well.  Also, my better half (who is not necessarily a cinephile, but sees - and sometimes gets dragged along to - about 70% of what I see) also made her top 10 list yesterday here.  We don't tell each other what's on the list until we are ready to post on the blog, but there's obviously an influence.  She obviously liked The Martian quite a bit.

@goodguy:  It was an oddly good year for Westerns, and I too enjoyed The Keeping Room a good deal more than I thought I would.  (I think the blurb I saw beforehand was "feminist Western" and was expecting something dogmatic, I guess.)  And Blind is a lovely film (I want to say for those who also loved Synecdoche, NY, but that would create its own set of improper preconceptions), but I was lucky to see it on the big screen through the Austin Film Society last month - so, as usual, you're way ahead of the curve.  It is now available on DVD, so now hopefully there will be more activity on LB, etc.
letterboxd

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2016, 09:57:54 AM »
Loved Blind and hated Synecdoche. *shrugs*

I had my eye on The Keeping Room already (February DVD release) and added Peace Officer and Stations of the Cross (the latter is on Netflix Instant).

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2016, 10:09:24 AM »
Loved Blind and hated Synecdoche. *shrugs*

Ah ha, exactly!  (But you do know what I'm talking about, right?)

I had my eye on The Keeping Room already (February DVD release) and added Peace Officer and Stations of the Cross (the latter is on Netflix Instant).

I really liked Brit Marling in The Keeping Room (which I believe is another feature film debut), but given your interests in the U.S. justice system, Peace Officer would be my highest recommendation.
letterboxd

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2016, 08:08:52 PM »
@sandy:  I saw your review of The Cranes Are Flying on LB, and I really need to check that out (they didn't have the DVD at my indie video store, which is usually pretty good) - could be a Harakiri-level discovery for me as well.  Also, my better half (who is not necessarily a cinephile, but sees - and sometimes gets dragged along to - about 70% of what I see) also made her top 10 list yesterday here.  We don't tell each other what's on the list until we are ready to post on the blog, but there's obviously an influence.  She obviously liked The Martian quite a bit.

She's a great writer! I'm going to try and get to Joy soon and that review motivates me even more. Thanks for the link! I'm interested in what you think of The Cranes are Flying, so hope you can get a copy.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 02:32:50 AM »
My top 15 of 2015 is:
1. Carol
2. Gett: The Trial of Viviane Ansalme
3. World of Tomorrow
4. Ex Machina
5. Mad Max: Fury Road
6. Amy
7. The Martian
8. Inside Out
9. Trainwreck
10. Spy
11. What We Do In the Shadows
12. Blind
13. Bridge of Spies
14. Avengers: Age of Ultron
15. Phoenix

My awards for 2015 are on my blog.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2016, 11:37:37 AM »
I'm probably not ready to post a list yet, since I have still not seen SPOTLIGHT, BROOKLYN, CAROL, THE ASSASSIN, MISTRESS AMERICA, THE BIG SHORT, ANOMOLISA, and probably a few others. But here is what I have so far:

HM: Bridge of Spies, It Follows, What We Do in the Shadows, The Hateful Eight, Song of the Sea, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, Spy, The End of the Tour, Steve Jobs..

10. The Martian
9. Inside Out
8. Ex Machina
7. Sicario
6. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
5. Cobain: Montage of Heck
4. Creed
3. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. Room
1. The Look of Silence

Good year for movies!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."