Author Topic: Anomalisa  (Read 5216 times)

EternalSunshine

• Coming to you from Chicago!
    • Letterboxd.com/dickless1der
Anomalisa
« on: January 11, 2016, 02:59:17 PM »
Seriously though, what did you guys think of this film? Because I have friends who have the worst attitude towards it when I believe it is the best film of 2015. Sadly, I am uncertain if it can beat Inside Out in the end for the Oscars, but fingers crossed.
Michael Mendez

EternalSunshine

• Coming to you from Chicago!
    • Letterboxd.com/dickless1der
Re: Anomalisa
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 03:00:38 PM »
http://letterboxd.com/dickless1der/film/anomalisa/

Here is my review on LETTERBOXD. Please let me know what you guys think :) :)
Michael Mendez

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 04:06:05 PM »
It's my #5 film of 2015 and one of my favorite screenplays. Seen it twice now, once as a screener and once in a theater where it played even better. I wouldn't call it a comedy, but there are some definite laughs (usually of the uncomfortable variety.) Forgoing the major standout sequences, my favorite scenes are meeting the ex again in the hotel bar. (She says two things that send the whole idea south real fast. "I didn't get out of bed for a year, did you know that?" and "Can you try to explain yourself?") and in the hall with Lisa and her friend where Michael wants to invite Lisa to his room and has to do it in front of Lisa's friend who's been aggressively flirting with Michael all night. I don't think the speech/meltdown quite works, but it's all made right again by the last scene(s), especially undercutting the sadness with Slugger's doll.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 12:38:51 AM »
It's good, but it might be my least favorite of Kaufman's films.  It didn't make my top 15 of the year, but it has some memorable scenes/lines.  It just isn't as complex as his other films, not as much to chew over.  Okay, so it's also not as plain confusing, but I always liked that.  The most interesting thing for me is how this continues Charlie's autobiographical persona on film.  The main character has fame, but he isn't comfortable with it and Lisa tells him that she has to have a dictionary when reading his work.  It seems like a different, but the same, way of looking at the world, personal, depressive but with brief sparks of interest.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

dheaton

• Public Transportation Snob
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 02:10:06 PM »
I have such mixed feelings about this movie. On one hand, it's quite original and may be unlike anything that I've seen on screen. There are some truly inspired sequences. On the other hand, I also found it to be mean-spirited and a fairly simple story of a guy who can't connect to the world. I liked it on the whole and can totally see if anyone calls it their favorite (or least favorite) of the year. I'm glad that I saw it but don't plan on watching it again.
My Film and TV Blog - ptsnob.com
Letterboxd Profile - ptsnob

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 02:37:07 PM »
I wouldn't call it a comedy, but there are some definite laughs (usually of the uncomfortable variety.)

I would totally call it a comedy. I thought it was hilarious, and not only in an uncomfortable way. There's a lot of sweet as well as absurdest humor (It's zoo sized!) that got a lot of laughs out of our viewers.

For the most part I thought the movie was really effective, but I agree that the final act didn't quite stick it. I'll have to see how it sits with me, but I would agree that I don't see the depth I've come to expect from Kaufman. Not that he's not allowed to do something lighter, but I don't see myself revisiting this like I do his other work.

On a technical note the animation and craft on display was a real pleasure. Extremely well done.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 08:31:23 PM »
I wouldn't call it a comedy, but there are some definite laughs (usually of the uncomfortable variety.)

I would totally call it a comedy. I thought it was hilarious, and not only in an uncomfortable way. There's a lot of sweet as well as absurdest humor (It's zoo sized!) that got a lot of laughs out of our viewers.

For the most part I thought the movie was really effective, but I agree that the final act didn't quite stick it. I'll have to see how it sits with me, but I would agree that I don't see the depth I've come to expect from Kaufman. Not that he's not allowed to do something lighter, but I don't see myself revisiting this like I do his other work.

I am almost thinking I watched a different film.   The final act seemed to completely stick to me and nothing about it really seemed light.  In ways, I thought it was far darker and deeper than anything else he has done.  Maybe it has to do with being somewhat in similar place with the main character as well as I watched it with my wife.  It left us both in a strange place afterwards and a lot of conversations followed. 

I will have to re-watch soon though to be able to go into more specifics
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman