love

Author Topic: Director Ratings Project 2015: Top 50 Most Divisive Directors  (Read 14293 times)

valmz

Re: Director Ratings Project 2015: Top 50 Most Divisive Directors
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 04:34:49 PM »
The Awful Truth is that I gave McCarey and Chaplin a 2. Jodorowsky suffered the same fate, poor guy. Greenaway got a 10 without hesitation, though, so I contributed to both ends of these tug of wars.

If I were to see more Chaplin films, I'm confident I could come to understand his work enough to give him a 1, but I haven't yet found the enthusiasm. He's not my cup of tea, c'est la vie. L'important c'est d'aimer.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
I think I'd bump just about every director up a point if I'd voted. I'm generous with 9's and 10's.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 05:14:36 PM »
Fellini is understandably divisive. I think I gave that 9 but I can see how people just say 'no' to him. That said, I would have thought his average score would be significantly better than 6.076 for 326th :(
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 08:08:15 PM »
Fellini is understandably divisive. I think I gave that 9 but I can see how people just say 'no' to him. That said, I would have thought his average score would be significantly better than 6.076 for 326th :(

I'm waiting for Bondo to take his bow for this one. Without his vote, Fellini would've easily been in the upper 200s.

With so many directors, the Scoring in the middle is incredibly close.
#474 Victor Fleming - 5.509
#349 Ken Russell - 6.005
#215 Jim Jarmusch - 6.507

NOTE: I'm traveling to Baton Rouge tomorrow through Sunday, so the Results won't be coming in as regular as they have been.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 10:15:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure I gave Chaplin an 8.5.  He's a favorite, but I've seen so much of his work now that I see some clear weaknesses in his work.  Still, his finest work is fantastic. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 12:25:32 AM »
I'm pretty sure I gave Chaplin an 8.5.  He's a favorite, but I've seen so much of his work now that I see some clear weaknesses in his work.  Still, his finest work is fantastic.

I missed the voting phase, so I'm curious if directors simply got ratings or all their films were rated and then compiled into the director rating?

For example, I thought George Lucas's rating seemed to be severely damaged by his later work, while Coppola's later work must not have factored into his rating.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 01:09:43 AM »

I'm waiting for Bondo to take his bow for this one. Without his vote, Fellini would've easily been in the upper 200s.

I'm sure it is all a subconscious hatred of Italians for how fat their pizza and pasta and salami sandwiches have made me.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 01:15:05 AM »
Directors simply got ratings.

You make an interesting point. It seems no matter how low Coppola sinks, you can't take away Godfather, Godfather II, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now. If Lucas is being punished for the Star Wars prequels, why isn't Coppola downgraded for Jack, Twixt, One From the Heart, Youth Without Youth, Gardens of Stone etc.? I Rated Coppola a 6 and Lucas a 7, and I'm the only person to rate Lucas higher. (PeacefulAnarchy rated them both as equals.), so I'm interested in reading some response to this.

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 01:38:28 AM »
I like Coppola's later work. Not sure how I rated him, probably 7.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 03:06:29 AM »
The Awful Truth is that I gave McCarey and Chaplin a 2. Jodorowsky suffered the same fate, poor guy. Greenaway got a 10 without hesitation, though, so I contributed to both ends of these tug of wars.

Interesting I would think some who likes Greenaway would like Jodorowsky as well. Well that was my immediate thought, but when I think further, Jodorowsky presents strange content, Greenaway presents content strangely (yes a gross over-simplification) so quite different.

love