Author Topic: The Revenant  (Read 7957 times)

MattDrufke

The Revenant
« on: January 19, 2016, 06:47:17 AM »
I didn't really know where else to put this, so I'll add my girlfriend's reaction to the film which made me laugh out loud (and had a few people shush me):

"Wait, so he falls off of a cliff, into a tree, and then hits the ground, and a night of sleeping in a horse somehow makes him walk better?"
@ihatemattdrufke

EternalSunshine

• Coming to you from Chicago!
    • Letterboxd.com/dickless1der
Re: The Revenant
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 11:24:35 AM »
I did not like this film at first, But after finding out all the hard work that was done for it, I had to go back and give it another re-watch. For some reason, I LOVED IT the second time! I got to see so much more without any worry that I might miss something, and I actually was able to appreciate Leonardo DiCaprio's acting, which I hate to say, compared to his competition this year, he actually might win the Academy. Regardless, Alejandro González Iñárritu is an artist, with all the choreography of actors as well as the NATURAL LIGHTING from the sun or campfire; nothing artificial.

If anyone was like me and where you weren't exactly sure about the film, I'd say go watch it again, that is if you have the balls...
Michael Mendez

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 11:35:53 AM »
I work backwards from Leonardo DiCaprio should be an Oscar-winning actor to "why not this year?" This isn't my favorite performance of his or really my preferred style of acting, but for what it is, it is very good. Similarly, I can't deny the film's technical accomplishments, even as the story didn't really capture me to any particular degree. Just really hoping this doesn't win Director/Picture.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 11:59:30 AM »
@MattDrufke
 :)
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

MattDrufke

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 12:20:30 PM »
I work backwards from Leonardo DiCaprio should be an Oscar-winning actor to "why not this year?" This isn't my favorite performance of his or really my preferred style of acting, but for what it is, it is very good. Similarly, I can't deny the film's technical accomplishments, even as the story didn't really capture me to any particular degree. Just really hoping this doesn't win Director/Picture.

DiCaprio was just meh for me here. I think he's great for the role, but should you get an Oscar for a lot of eye work and 90 minutes of grunting and growling?
@ihatemattdrufke

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 10:24:02 PM »
Tom Hardy's accent at first was unbearable, but then it kind of grew on me.

EternalSunshine

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 03:07:30 PM »
He is great for the roll and did acceptable job. But I have to agree with Bondo. It's not my favorite, but still a very good performance. And with the Oscar, we might not want to see him win it for this roll.. but the competition this year isn't that crazy.
Michael Mendez

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 03:34:11 PM »
Did anyone else almost wholly sympathize with Hardy's character? Obviously, him murdering the boy is unforgivable, but he wouldn't have been in that position if the Captain had done the right thing and just put Glass out of his misery after the bear attack.

EternalSunshine

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 03:56:53 PM »
I sort of did! Hardy's character had the most strive I feel like.
Michael Mendez

Totoro

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
Why did the captain even leave him with Hardy? That made no sense. Either there's no scene or it jumps through it extremely fast. Very convenient for him.

This is such a bad script.

love