love

Author Topic: The Revenant  (Read 7958 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: The Revenant
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 06:53:28 PM »
Why did the captain even leave him with Hardy? That made no sense. Either there's no scene or it jumps through it extremely fast. Very convenient for him.

This is such a bad script.

There is a scene and it's gone over in detail. That's not saying I liked that scene, but it is there right after the Captain can't pull the trigger. He offers money to any men who stay and care for Glass while the others go to the fort and come back with more men and provisions. Which is a horrible idea. To me, the movie was as much about Captain Henry's incompetence as Glass's will to survive.

Totoro

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 08:19:50 PM »
Why did the captain even leave him with Hardy? That made no sense. Either there's no scene or it jumps through it extremely fast. Very convenient for him.

This is such a bad script.

There is a scene and it's gone over in detail. That's not saying I liked that scene, but it is there right after the Captain can't pull the trigger. He offers money to any men who stay and care for Glass while the others go to the fort and come back with more men and provisions. Which is a horrible idea. To me, the movie was as much about Captain Henry's incompetence as Glass's will to survive.

And then he gets SO angry when he finds out he's been lied to. WTF. This screenplay wouldn't get by most producers, but I guess if you have 2 Oscars...

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 09:00:27 PM »
I don't see it as incompetence so much as a stubborn adherence to a code of honor. I do think it was overplayed to the point of being silly, but I think the motivations were pretty clearly expressed.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 11:56:49 PM »
For me it'd be The Departed or Catch Me If You Can.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 06:00:09 AM »
For me it'd be The Departed or Catch Me If You Can.

Yep, The Departed. Which incidentally has a dozen amazing performances which it never gets credit for.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 01:40:32 AM »
I iMDB'd Leo and I think his most Oscar-worthy performances were indeed The Departed coupled with Revolutionary Road and The Wolf of Wall Street (unpopular opinions thread here I come). I don't remember him in Catch Me If You Can enough to judge the quality of his work, although I like the movie a good deal.

As for the movie at hand, I am with the people that admire the technical prowess but are underwhelmed by the overall story. And yes, in Hardy's shoes I would have advocated shooting his brains out too.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 10:03:00 AM »
I generally didn't care how dumb the script was. Lubezki's writing made up for it.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 03:04:43 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_v2O8OYvCo

"Seriously, if you lost to communist Heisenberg (Trumbo), we'd riot."

Starring Academy Award winner Leonardo DiCaprio.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 10:14:28 PM »
Not one of their best, but I give the series credit for being one of the few comedy series on YouTube that's genuinely funny.

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 10:15:50 PM »
Not one of their best, but I give the series credit for being one of the few comedy series on YouTube that's genuinely funny.

Yeah, the emphasis on the pondering shots of the sky was perhaps quite a cheap shot.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

love