love

Author Topic: Room  (Read 5522 times)

EternalSunshine

• Coming to you from Chicago!
    • Letterboxd.com/dickless1der
Room
« on: January 25, 2016, 02:04:07 PM »
 :o Uhhh, Did anybody get a chance to see this film? I really can't stop thinking about how creative and deep this movie was. I finally got a chance to see it with my brother last week and we both enjoyed it equally. I have not written a review [yet] on it but I wanted to hear what you guys thought.  :o

Of course we all know that Brie Larson does a fantastic job. Perfect casting for all rolls. I am a pretty big on the Academy Awards and I am debating on if this film can win Best Adapted Screenplay. Any thoughts?  :o
Michael Mendez

MattDrufke

Re: Room
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 03:38:36 PM »
I think Brie Larson is a lock. As for adapted screenplay, it's in with some pretty heavy hitters (The Martian, The Big Short, etc.) I don't know that I'd pick it as my favorite.
@ihatemattdrufke

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 07:20:29 PM »
Having now learned what this is about, there is no chance I'm gonna watch it.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 07:42:38 PM »
The film's greatness is that it doesn't dwell in what the film is about. The director comes at it from a tangental angle so that you're focused on the people and how they get by day-to-day instead of their situation. I didn't find it difficult to watch. There's a moment of realization, but the film doesn't milk that for the drama. It's about a mother and her kid getting by under extraordinary circumstances.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 08:31:10 PM »
I don't deny that it could be really good, but reading the Wikipedia plot summary gives me a stomach ache and makes me want to cry. I so can't hack that movie.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 11:37:21 PM »
I understand, but for me it's like saying a werewolf movie is about animal slaughter.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 10:18:23 PM »
I thought werewolf movies were about learning not to swear ?

:o Uhhh, Did anybody get a chance to see this film? I really can't stop thinking about how creative and deep this movie was. I finally got a chance to see it with my brother last week and we both enjoyed it equally. I have not written a review [yet] on it but I wanted to hear what you guys thought.  :o

I'd like to know what exactly you were referring to when you mentioned creativity.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

ststevens

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 01:01:39 AM »
I'm kind of curious what level of knowledge most people went in with when they saw the movie. Obviously, it's based on a book, so there are plenty of people who went in knowing the whole plot. But I managed to see Room without knowing anything about the midpoint story shift, and I didn't really make much of an effort to avoid learning anything about the film before going in. I had no idea that half the movie would take place after Joy and Jack escaped - hell, I didn't even know Joan Allen and William H. Macy were going to be in the movie. I'd just assumed that the film's marketing team did a good job of hiding these developments, since I usually absorb movie buzz like a sponge, but I've heard others (specifically several Doug Loves Movies guests) complain that some trailers and ads give too much of the plot away. Did I just get lucky?

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 02:07:20 AM »
I'm kind of curious what level of knowledge most people went in with when they saw the movie. Obviously, it's based on a book, so there are plenty of people who went in knowing the whole plot. But I managed to see Room without knowing anything about the midpoint story shift, and I didn't really make much of an effort to avoid learning anything about the film before going in. I had no idea that half the movie would take place after Joy and Jack escaped - hell, I didn't even know Joan Allen and William H. Macy were going to be in the movie. I'd just assumed that the film's marketing team did a good job of hiding these developments, since I usually absorb movie buzz like a sponge, but I've heard others (specifically several Doug Loves Movies guests) complain that some trailers and ads give too much of the plot away. Did I just get lucky?

I didn't know any of that either, though I had heard about an escape scene, which implied that they would at least get pretty far in a escape attempt at some point... I was pretty surprised when they escaped relatively cleanly halfway throughout though. But I generally try to avoid spoilers and never watch trailers for anything, so I don't know how much those revealed.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 04:37:18 AM »
Yeah, I knew nothing at all about it either, except the basic premise.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/