Author Topic: Anyone else find the Marvin story in Pulp Fiction unfunny?  (Read 5849 times)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
Re: Anyone else find the Marvin story in Pulp Fiction unfunny?
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 09:27:38 AM »
If you listened to rap it was old hat by the time Pulp Fiction came round.

LOL, hardly.  Wu-Tangs 36 Chambers the year before, Bigs Ready to Die same year, and Tupac's All Eyez on Me 96.  Old hat, you must be joking.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Totoro

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 07:26:24 PM »
You're not "simply asking why". You've already answered the question for yourself and are asking why we don't see the racism. I'm saying there was no racial agenda.

And this will be my last post in this thread since you feel the debate has turned into a personal attack.

Yeah, it's yet another failure of discourse here since you specifically brought up Ozu, a director I have a personalized history with, instead of a different director that I don't. You could've chosen an objective director to make an example with in order to make your point.

It's not that I feel it's a personal attack. It's that it's a personal attack. 

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 03:06:11 AM »
I'm interested in the consequences of the delicate response to minority performances. Let's take it as a given that you are perfectly right in the sensitivity of your reaction to how this man's race is being employed. If one feels this way, it seems reasonable to expect others to feel the same way, and that extends to people within the film-making industry. They treat the casting of minorities into roles with this sensitivity; analysing the effect it will have on a post racial world (PRW) (I'd prefer post discrimination world but I'll use your phrase, even though I asked for some expansion on the phrase so that I really knew what you meant by it- can't expect an answer though, I know). The bigger the role is the more delicate the situation becomes. Tarantino uses it the opposite way; the more delicate the situation it might create, the more likely he is to bludgeon the discriminatory point, as if he thinks desensitisation might be the route to take.

So the creators who are sensitive might be less confident with a black lead; knowing a white lead won't present the same delicate connotations to the PRW. The people at the controls of awards might be as sensitive as you are. In fact because they operate an organisation, which by definition has a political aspect, they might be ultra-sensitive. They will certainly analyse a minority performance differently, being sensitive people. They can't possibly analyse it equally with a white performance. They also have to be concerned about the reaction of their decisions out in the PRW press. How could they not be? Being delicate themselves. Also being political, they may not, naturally, court controversy. A white performance becomes, by definition, non-controversial, certainly by comparison to a minority one. And we have a very white looking Oscars as a consequence.

It doesn't look anymore complicated than decisions and actions have consequences. I think it is a personal decision how sensitive one wants to be about any of this, but I think the consequences seem quite clear.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 11:28:10 PM »
Marvin's death is not racial in any way. This had never crossed my mind until you mentioned it.

Why did Ozu insist on casting Japanese actors in his films? Certainly the domestic situations he presented were universal. Why keep such a limited focus? Clearly Ozu only liked to work with Japanese people because he hated all other races and believed only the Japanese understand family dynamics and traditions.

;D
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2016, 11:32:01 PM »
It doesn't look anymore complicated than decisions and actions have consequences. I think it is a personal decision how sensitive one wants to be about any of this, but I think the consequences seem quite clear.

I'm thankful for this point because I feel people don't realize that they do not help the situation by focusing on race all the time.
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/