Author Topic: Westerns  (Read 46092 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Westerns
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2016, 12:38:54 PM »
Such a great title maker!

Nightmare House
Killer Blue
Third Devil
Another Affair
Sweet Hours
Drive Naked (prequel to Drive Angry?)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2016, 06:39:35 PM »
I quite like Point Sleep, but best is Hell's Fallen

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2016, 09:21:36 PM »
So I bought a National Geographic book about the Old West to refresh my history and get a broad sense of the era. It made me think about which Western topics that I'm surprised there are not more representations of. The first two that come to mind are The Gold Rush and the Lewis and Clark expedition. Other than Chaplin's the Gold Rush, the topic, which is ripe for a good western revenge/greed plot, is unexplored. I can't think of anything resembling Lewis and Clark except maybe Almost Heroes, largely a comedy and not a western.

Thoughts? Other topics you're surprised have not been explored at all or more often? Would love to hear other viewpoints.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2016, 10:01:23 PM »
There are a number of Westerns that revolve around gold strikes and claim jumping. A few of these are on your list, but I'd rather not Spoil which ones.

Northwest Passage (also on your list) is a pretty original Western, one where you could debate if it's really a Western at all or just a wilderness adventure story. It has a Lewis and Clark vibe to it.

Frank Gruber, who wrote several screenplays, once claimed that there are seven basic Western plots.
1. The Union Pacific story (railroad/stagecoach comes to town, wagon train adventures)
2. The ranch story (ranch conflicts, ranchers vs. others)
3. The empire story (an epic version of the ranch story)
4. The revenge story
5. The cavalry and Indians story
6. The outlaw story
7. The marshal story

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2016, 07:20:27 AM »
Yea, I saw that list on Sandy's page. I am very interested to see the different variations thereof. One of the main reasons I think this marathon will stick is my interest in history in general, but this era in particular. My degree is in history, and the American West was also my favorite era. I was never one for military/war history. I've also been much more attracted to the social aspects of history. So I will be looking into the motivations, the why and hows of these characters. What drives these people to be outlaw, to move out West into the danger of Cowboys and Indians, etc. The list you helped me compile, 1SO, looks to be filled with great stories and great characters which I can't wait to spend time with and get to know, and to try and analyze. I'm sure there will be clunkers along the way, but I am very much looking forward to the process come July and beyond.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2016, 09:03:36 PM »
FYI

Nestled in the middle of your Marathon list is a famous quintet of Westerns directed by Anthony Mann and starring James Stewart.
63. Winchester '73
74. Bend of the River
83. The Naked Spur
93. The Far Country
104. The Man From Laramie

Less well-known is a little side street of similar films starring Dan Duryea and running 80 minutes Mrs. 1SO and I recently re-watched and re-enjoyed.
89. Ride Clear of Diablo: Duryea and Audie Murphy
90. Rails Into Laramie: Same director as Diablo. Duryea and John Payne. (Also Lee Van Cleef)
95. Silver Lode: Duryea and John Payne again.

Duryea has a small but very memorable role in Winchester and soft-voiced Audie Murphy comes up later in No Name on the Bullet. I'm going to be interested in watching how each film sculpts your opinion of Dan Duryea.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2016, 07:04:02 AM »
While researching the list indefinitely notice that the majority of these films appear to either be director of star driven, and in some cases both. I definitely look forward to seeing how these artists out their mark on the genre.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2016, 11:52:05 AM »
I re-watched Stranger on Horseback (1955) and you should include that one as well. The Westerns of Jacques Tourneur are really fine, though his best one is his first one, Canyon Passage. Stars in My Crown, Wichita and Stranger on Horseback all star Joel McCrea, and I know roujin is also a fan of the ones he's seen, including Great Day in the Morning, which I haven't been able to find until this morning (on Veehd). roujin compares it favorably to Canyon Passage.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:37:27 PM by 1SO »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2016, 08:39:08 PM »
I corrected my misspelling. It's Stranger ON Horseback.

Also, I re-watched Wichita and it's going to go well with other films you have slated that center around Wyatt Earp.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2016, 10:04:27 AM »
First couple films seen, reviews coming. Saddle up everybody! This wagon train is about to head out!

love