love

Author Topic: Westerns  (Read 46088 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Westerns
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 12:22:21 PM »
As I near the end of my Baseball marathon, I've been attending to this list. After ballooning to 354, I've trimmed a few titles out to make it more of a true "western" list, meaning some of my more liberal selections saw the ax fall. I just don't want to get too far in over my head with titles more on the fringe of the definition of Western, and I'm sure I'll tinker this list for the years I work though it. Anyway, here are the films I dropped and the reasons why:

Raintree County - seems like more of a Civil War film than Western
Hud - seems more a pure drama, no relation to frontier, outlaw, other Western tropes
Shenendoah - Civil War, not Western
The Last Picture Show - seen it, and while I love it, other than occuring in a West Texas town, not a Western
Badlands - seen it, and while I love it, this is a crime movie, not a Western
Days of Heaven - seen it, and while I love it, this is a crime drama, not a Western
Urban Cowboy - apart from having Cowboy in the title, this doesn't seem to be a western in any other way
Tender Mercies - I had played with the idea of the country music Western, but country music is the only connection
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues - See Urban Cowboy
Gerry - seen it, and while I like it, it only takes place in the West, no other real connections
Down in the Valley - character dresses like a cowboy, that sounds like the only connection
Sweetgrass - seen it, and while I really like it, and it fits the rancher/cowboy bill, it's the only doc, and I've seen it, so taking it out
Crazy Heart - see Tender Mercies
The Killer Inside Me - another one that seems more like just a crime movie where a character wheres a cowboy hat and it takes place out west (modern day)
The Rover - seems more post-apocalyptic than Western

I look at this list almost every day in anticipation of finally starting. Really excited for this adventure!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 01:09:05 PM »
There are a number of Civil War Westerns, like Frontier Westerns. I can't speak for Raintree County, but Shenedoah should go back in.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 01:17:57 PM »
There are a number of Civil War Westerns, like Frontier Westerns. I can't speak for Raintree County, but Shenedoah should go back in.

Raintree, without seeing it, sounds more like a Gone with the Wind type Civil War film. I figured since Shenandoah wasn't a Civil War film that took place in the West that it wouldn't quite fit. But if you say it belongs, then it probably does.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 01:30:02 PM »
Following
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 12:49:37 AM »
I re-watched Angel and the Badman and am glad to see it's already on your list. It's a more unusual film than I first realized, directed by James Edward Grant, who wrote many films for John Wayne and only directed one other feature. Grant is very no-nosense and the basic story is as simplistic as the title, but this is one of the first films to strip down and examine Wayne's evolving cowboy persona. There's a famous story about Red River (released the following year) that John Ford was so impressed with Wayne's performance that he is reported to have said, "I didn’t know the big son of a bitch could act!" To me, that only shows that Ford didn't watch Angel and the Badman. You can compare wayne to Mickey Rourke. Red River might have been his The Wrestler but Angel and the Badman is his Sin City.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 02:48:15 PM »
Looking ahead, does anybody have a resource for the following, I can't seem to find them streaming on the Internet, and my library system doesn't have them:

The Vanishing American (George B. Seitz, 1925)
The Wind (Victor Sjostrom, 1928) - I'd especially like to see this one
Union Pacific (Cecil B. DeMille, 1939)
Arizona (Wesley Ruggles, 1940)
Don't Fence Me In (John English, 1945)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 03:05:02 PM »
I'll work on it tonight. Thought for sure Union Pacific was easy to find but it might have been Western Union or Union Station.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 03:51:22 PM »
I believe Don't Fence Me In is on Amazon Prime, and both Amazon and Vudu have Arizona available for rent. Netflix has Union Pacific on DVD.

The Wind I would expect to be at your public library, maybe along with The Vanishing American.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 07:31:25 PM »
The Vanishing American on Veehd
The Wind is on Vimeo and Veehd
Union Pacific on Veehd
Arizona on Veehd

Don't Fence Me In is on youtube in 3 parts
DntFncMN Part 1 of 3
DON'T FENCE ME IN (1945) Part 2/3 UNCUT Version ROY ROGERS Dale Evans
DON'T FENCE ME IN (1945) Part 3/3 UNCUT Version ROY ROGERS Dale Evans

They said they had to remove the song from the film so it's included seperately
"Don't Fence ME In" (1945) FINALE Roy Rogers DALE EVANS Trigger SotP

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 07:26:49 PM »
Thanks 1SO! Those were the ones from the first 50 in the marathon, should be all I have to worry about for now. I will probably ask for a few more before the marathon is over.