Author Topic: Westerns  (Read 46072 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Westerns
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 03:27:14 PM »
Found out that while TCM does not have their schedule posted past each month, and my cable service can't search further than two weeks in advance, you can search TCM.com for titles and they show scheduled showings for about two months in advance, if not more. So I found about 12 more of my first 50 titles which I can record this summer, including THE VANISHING AMERICAN, which will make things much easier. I already have 8 titled recorded, so that will be 20/50 just from TCM! I guess I will have to keep my eyes peeled for more Westerns popping up on TCM in the future.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 04:26:28 PM »
I'm excited for this to start, though I don't know how I could realistically hope to follow along with watches and re-watches as originally planned, especially with those early titles that I've never seen. I guess it'll be enough that I'll have plenty to say because my memory of most of these are pretty fresh.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 05:33:49 PM »
I can't wait for your input and insight either. It'll be a fun journey!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 07:04:40 PM »
What'll happen if you end up hating the genre, like the podcast's Marx Brothers Marathon? Are you more likely to severely trim your list down to the Essentials or abandon the project?

You have 6 by Sergio Corbucci. He's more of a cult name, and I could see you dropping some of his titles if you're not getting anything out of them.

List Wordle

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 08:19:40 PM »
Apparently there is a direct correlation between being named John and the likelihood you will end up making Westerns at some point.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 07:05:40 AM »
What'll happen if you end up hating the genre, like the podcast's Marx Brothers Marathon? Are you more likely to severely trim your list down to the Essentials or abandon the project?

I don't foresee this happening, especially since by "marathon" I just mean that I will eventually work through the list, so it won't be an intensive project, or at least not too intensive. If I do have that reaction, I would tend to think I would trim the list to Essentials rather than abandon the project. I don't like abandoning things, or else a few of my other marathons would be lying in the boneyard already.

List Wordle

This is cool! Shows the different directors who have lots of titles, but I like finding the words in titles, and how prominent they are. Like "west", "man", "river", "bad", "seven", "gun", and "wagon".

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 09:58:34 AM »
This is cool! Shows the different directors who have lots of titles, but I like finding the words in titles, and how prominent they are. Like "west", "man", "river", "bad", "seven", "gun", and "wagon".

This works nicely for noir. Using the "They Shot Dark Pictures" list....

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 10:13:13 AM »
That may be the best Worldle I've ever seen. It's all there, right down the the Crooked Highway in the lower corner.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 10:36:32 AM »
Right? A bunch of great noir titles there, just by accident. Don't tell me you wouldn't want to see these...

Angel Street
Beyond Evil
Dark Fear
Lovely Strangers
Nightmare House
Naked Drive
Killer Blue Kiss
Shock River
L.A. Thief
Big Killers Gang
Murder Woman

MURDER WOMAN! I'm in!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:38:07 AM by MartinTeller »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 10:46:42 AM »
A couple of those I thought I had seen. Isn't Robert Mitchum and Jean Simmons in Angel Street?

I also have a T-Shirt for a Lee Van Cleef film called Bad Man's River, and I think somebody needs to make Seven Gun Wagon.

love