Author Topic: Filmspot 2015: "On Behalf Of" Campaigns  (Read 2450 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Filmspot 2015: "On Behalf Of" Campaigns
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 09:10:55 PM »
I would say that people who are sensitive of animal violence should stay clear of the movie.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

jmbossy

• Generally Critical
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 12:08:49 AM »
Macbeth for Original Soundtrack
This is a bit of a strange choice to proselytize for, but I recently saw Macbeth, and even better than its incredible visuals is its terrific, haunting and appropriately feverish score. I don't think everything about the film works, but as a formal exploration of a increasingly unhinged characters it works exceedingly well; something it wouldn't achieve without this soundtrack.

Here is the full soundtrack if you haven't heard it, but my point can be entirely summarized in the second link, to the track "Dunsinane" which plays during the inciting incident for the film (Macbeth's Regicide of Duncan). It's a scene made by its editing and scoring, which both deserve recognition.

(Full OST)   
(Dunsinane)

As you can hear, it is epic (appropriate given the film's setting) and twisted with enough foreboding saws to maniacly unnerve. This is a great soundtrack which will more than likely go under heard given how few people have seen this film.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 05:09:07 AM »
My dog hated White God and forced me to turn it off.  She jumped at the screen so much that I thought she would damage the screen.  I eventually watch it on a night before I traveled and she was at the dog sitter.

It could be very uncomfortable to people to watch if they are sensitive to animal abuse even if they were never actually hurt during filming. 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 09:34:24 AM »
White God was in my top ten. It is a conundrum in that it advocates against animal abuse while depicting it so its target audience might not want to watch.

It is also worth noting White God is one of the most unapologetically allegorical films of the year.
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 09:45:27 AM »
White God was in my top ten. It is a conundrum in that it advocates against animal abuse while depicting it so its target audience might not want to watch.

It is also worth noting White God is one of the most unapologetically allegorical films of the year.

Why is that worth noting? Currently I'm planning to skip it.

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 09:52:24 AM »

Why is that worth noting? Currently I'm planning to skip it.

Go ahead and skip it then!
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 06:34:35 PM »
Nary a mention for A Walk in the Woods.

Scene to scene I found it pretty amusing. Nolte, hardly in good enough shape to walk, let alone hike, was a constant source of humour. It's a movie I'd be happy to take my parents to, and we'd all have a sensible chuckle (actually, I did, and we did). Does it inspire? Eh, yea, a little bit here and there I guess. I liked how they told the story (which I'd never read). I liked watching these actors (Nolte, Redford, Emma Thompson...), who of course are capabable of so much more, playing these humble parts. A ex-drunk, an aging writer, a gracefully aging mother. The drama hardly ever reaches more than a strong simmer, and when it does it's mostly hijinks and not emotional turmoil. I thought that was okay though. I relaxes you into the story. And it's a very nice story indeed.

I only saw like 5 movies from 2015, but I don't regret having seen this one. Consider it for best comedic scene. I like the scene when Nolte is telling Redford about the married woman he shacks up with.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 01:51:19 AM »
A short list of great things about Tangerines:

The amazing, true, human performances.
The staunchly solid, morally grounded, lovingly wise main character.
The intelligence of the plot and the development of relationships between the characters.
The realist and bleak look at warfare that does not impede the burgeoning of hope in the midst of chaos.
The gorgeous cinematography.

A link to my review.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 08:36:09 AM »
I'm going to try to get in a double bill of Tangerine/Tangerines before the deadline. I imagine it'll be even better than Victor/Victoria.

pixote
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 08:46:55 AM »
I'm going to try to get in a double bill of Tangerine/Tangerines before the deadline.

pixote

Keeping these two straight in the FYC Threads was the bane of my 2015 Filmspot existence.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."