love

Author Topic: Filmspot 2015: "On Behalf Of" Campaigns  (Read 5409 times)

jmbossy

• Generally Critical
Filmspot 2015: "On Behalf Of" Campaigns
« on: February 15, 2016, 12:07:34 AM »
So let me start off by saying, I think it can be universally agreed that 2015 was a rock solid year in film. It seems like everyone has a top 10 they are happy with, and those 10 films seem to be entirely different person to person. In one way, that is fantastic, but there is a small issue I imagine will come to light very shortly; With only a few exceptions, there may not be very much consensus regarding this year's filmspots.

That being said, I've thought this would be a good idea since I started voting in the filmspots and this year is a perfect year to see if it has value, I propose this topic be used to write up shortish voting campaigns for nominees we feel the strongest about. Obviously, this isn't the oscars, who wins isn't of much actual significance, and this tradition is more for fun and discussion than anything else; Still I think given the maturity of the community and our collective want for discussion, these campaigns can prompt conversations and additional consideration if not actual support.

I'm not suggesting we argue over who should win. But we definitly can discuss why we feel something is worth voting for, so that (as the filmspotting forum creed should read) no good film go unseen/unconsidered.

If this is an idea you think might be interesting, go on and defend your votes; if not, i understand that maybe you all aren't as naturally argumentative as I am, and that this might be making too much of something that should just be for fun. Either way, I'm very excited for the filmspots to commence. :)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Filmspot 2015: "On Behalf Of" Campaigns
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 11:55:13 AM »
So happy to see this thread! (And sad that this thread didn't become an annual tradition.)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 09:54:47 PM »
I think the filmspots are always a pretty good balance of mainstream picks and more obscure stuff. But I'm always willing to take suggestions and get behind great movies that might not have a had their time to shine.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 03:34:49 AM »
I get the feeling virtually no one has watched Tangerines (not to be confused with Tangerine) which is a shame because it is in my Top 10 and is absolutely brilliant and utterly deserves to be talked about here.

To bring your attention to it will be my short lived crusade.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 09:06:48 AM »
The Diary of a Teenage Girl.  No excuses.  It's now out on DVD and BD.  It's now available on iTunes, Amazon, Vudu, GooglePlay for a couple of bucks.

Best Director (Marielle Heller)
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Actress (Bel Powley)
Best Supporting Actress (Kristen Wiig)
Best Debut
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 04:15:32 PM »
One-sentence pitch

Gett: The Trial of Vivian Anselm

It's a slow burn, but full of intelligent detail and characterization.

Blind

A smart AND clever film, twisting our perspective.

Experimenter
Another smart and clever film with more going on than meets the eye.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 10:01:07 PM »
So, not posting personally on behalf of any particular film (although I would love for more people to see Cop Car). Rather, I'm making a push to watch more FYC films before turning in a ballot, and I was about to put on White God when I read the description that it has to do with animal abuse.

And I'm wondering if someone could speak on behalf of White God to let me know that I should push forward and watch it, that the risk of being very upset is worth it, that I can trust in the film to carry me through a distressing subject.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 10:06:34 PM »
I didn't like it very much.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 11:05:00 PM »
I liked White God, and I do have a bit of a sensitivity to animal abuse.  But then again, I loved White Dog, so ...
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 07:54:10 AM »
White God was in my top ten. It is a conundrum in that it advocates against animal abuse while depicting it so its target audience might not want to watch. I'm not sure I can say it wouldn't bother you.