love

Author Topic: Deadpool  (Read 9308 times)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
Deadpool
« on: February 23, 2016, 11:25:28 PM »
I think I sort of really liked this movie... :o
Despite still being a somewhat formulaic origin story, Deadpool just seemed really progressive to me. Was I the only one sort of really surprised with a big budget Hollywood movie portraying a main character with such fluid sexuality?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Deadpool
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 11:32:55 PM »
The year of sex montage was one of my favorite scenes. I also think he gropes Colossus as much as he does his girlfriend.

That being said, the film is going to launch a number of terrible films trying to capture that Deadpool magic. Much like the terrible sex comedies that came out after Something About Mary and The Hangover.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 08:07:17 PM »
The year of sex montage was one of my favorite scenes. I also think he gropes Colossus as much as he does his girlfriend.

Same, it was a great sequence. And very inspiring...

That being said, the film is going to launch a number of terrible films trying to capture that Deadpool magic. Much like the terrible sex comedies that came out after Something About Mary and The Hangover.

This is not a problem as long as you feel obligated to watch those movies for some reason.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 05:11:19 AM »
Despite still being a somewhat formulaic origin story, Deadpool just seemed really progressive to me. Was I the only one sort of really surprised with a big budget Hollywood movie portraying a main character with such fluid sexuality?

Except for him being pegged by Vanessa there was little (nothing) showing the character to have a fluid sexuality. Comic book fans may know he has fluid sexuality, but it did not come through from the film. Also the female characters were very thinly written. That said Deadpool was a blast. If it does generate a rash of poor imitators hopefully a few can be good.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 07:22:59 AM »

Except for him being pegged by Vanessa there was little (nothing) showing the character to have a fluid sexuality. Comic book fans may know he has fluid sexuality, but it did not come through from the film. Also the female characters were very thinly written. That said Deadpool was a blast. If it does generate a rash of poor imitators hopefully a few can be good.

Well he was flirting with half the male characters he encountered although some might take it as being facetious.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 11:20:57 AM »
Definitely found his flirting facetious and he didn't even go through with the pegging. And the only jokes that I really hated were his jabs about how mannish Gina Carano is.

So, despite liking the film quite a bit, I actually found the humor to be anything but progressive.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 11:33:22 AM »
Yeah, not knowing much about the original material, it didn't even cross my mind that Deadpool could be anything but heterosexual. Because his humour is very... bro-y. I took those as "gay panic" type of jokes.

As for the film itself.. when it's funny it works very well (the opening credits are a highlight), but I found it pretty dreadful when it decided to tell an actual story... without ever actually stopping to build any semblance of a character. Morena Baccarin is playing a male fantasy on legs, and I found the whole relationship unengaging at best.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 12:02:48 PM »
As for the film itself.. when it's funny it works very well (the opening credits are a highlight), but I found it pretty dreadful when it decided to tell an actual story... without ever actually stopping to build any semblance of a character.

A moment that really elevated Deadpool for me was right before the cancer struck. Wade is speaking from his heart about the happy moments coming like "commercial breaks" before the bad times continue. It was the other side of Deadpool, the human side, and we got just enough of it to balance all the bro-y mayhem. I also think the experiment that turns him into Deadpool has roots in Frankenstein and V For Vendetta, both films that give sympathy to inhuman 'monsters'.

Morena Baccarin is playing a male fantasy on legs, and I found the whole relationship unengaging at best.
I think Baccarin matches what Reynolds is doing. They're both playing fantasies, and they're both Hot Topic Goth about it as well as straight up sexy. (I believe Baccarin's nudity is implied and concealed while Reynolds shows quite a bit both in and out of leather.) Plus her character voice is similar to Wade. He says it's like talking to himself, which is where the relationship engages. Neither one is good for any of us - though they are both super sexy. What's important here is they are obviously perfect matches for each other.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 02:01:17 PM »
I agree that Deadpool's story has the potential for humanizing him, it just didn't work for me... maybe because, contrasted with the playfulness of the humour, the core story seemed to be done because it needed to but without anyone's heart really being in it.

That's an interesting point about them both being fantasies. I'm pretty sure Baccarin's nudity isn't concealed at the start of that sex montage though. Them being so similar strikes me as a very shallow way of portraying a relationship : the whole "who has had the most CINECAST!ed-up life" bit for example... which would be fine if we weren't then meant to take the relationship seriously. That's where he movie falters for me, never quite managing to balance the tones and making me wish it had just been a straight parody all the way through.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 07:48:34 PM »
Let's get one thing straight gents, Deadpool is as straight as they come and the male flirting is 100% facetious.

Morena Baccarin is playing a male fantasy on legs

You say that like it's a bad thing. It is not. It is a very very great thing wee should all be thankful for.

And Teproc is right, at the very beginning of the montage we get gull Baccarin nudity, save for Reynolds obstructing the view to her breasts, blast him.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love