Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 8679 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: MLB 2016
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 12:05:01 PM »
Unfortunately Lindor is no longer a prospect, he's an MLB All-Star. Contending teams don't trade all-stars in a pennant race.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 02:35:08 PM »
No kidding captain obvious

The tribe do have a couple of prospects in Justice Sheffield and Bobby Bradley or Barnes I think that would have made for a good trade. Yes Lindor was a pipe dream, a figment of my over hopeful imagination whom I wish would be tradeable but alas the Indians have a franchise and city favorite there.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 02:44:47 PM by colonel_mexico »
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 10:47:03 AM »
Justus Sheffield is a Yankee now!  Along with Clint Frazier, the Tribe is all in for this season, should be a great end of the year. Homer Bailey has been activated.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 11:16:19 AM »
Justus Sheffield...what a name ;D ;D ;D

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 10:28:16 AM »
Arod to retire on Friday f-ing yankees couldn't let him finish the season with Tex? I'm teary eyed, greatest right handed hitter I've ever seen.

MattDrufke

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 09:57:11 AM »
Arod to retire on Friday f-ing yankees couldn't let him finish the season with Tex? I'm teary eyed, greatest right handed hitter I've ever seen.

Does all of the steroid controversy (I almost wrote "steroid allegation) affect how you view him?
@ihatemattdrufke

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 12:41:26 PM »
Really cool to have the Mariners sweep three entertaining games against the Angels on a Griffey tribute weekend, and having so many Mariners, Sonics and Seahawks greats among the festivities. Such a weird up and down team we've been this season...hopefully we can stay on the up now that we are finally getting healthy and Edwin Diaz is blowing the doors off of everyone. Big series in the Wild Card standings vs the Tigers now.

Happy for Ichiro getting 3,000. Man I wish he spent those first 7 years in Seattle rather than Japan...he'd just be piling upon Rose's record right now  ;D

A-Rod's a weirdo and a cheater but the hatred for him just seems way too much man. Almost nobody likes that guy, including (and especially?) the fanbases he played for it seems.

MattDrufke

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2016, 03:09:58 PM »
I was cheering for Ichiro, too.

In 2004, I saw him play against the White Sox at US Cellular at the atmosphere was amazing. I think he went 5 for 5, but what was even crazier was when the Sox brought in Takatsu (who was their closer) to face Ichiro. The camera flashbulbs were blinding and the audience (with an obviously large Japanese fanbase in the audience) was just losing their mind. I've seen Jordan at Chicago Stadium and a Cubs playoff game, but that was, BY FAR, the coolest sports atmosphere I've ever been a part of.
@ihatemattdrufke

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2016, 09:38:48 AM »

Does all of the steroid controversy (I almost wrote "steroid allegation) affect how you view him?

He wasn't the only one, but was certainly made the face of the steroids era and my feeling is no I don't blame/criticize anyone else for doing what everyone else was doing. It is pretty amazing how much he gets killed, but we have forgiven Pettitte or forget about the Bartolo Colon's of the world (who is still playing).  There is even love for Manny and he's one suspension away from banned from baseball forever, not that he's playing anymore.  Even David Ortiz has had allegations, here allegation, which is the same as Arod and Bonds who never failed any PED tests. There were a lot of names on the Mitchell report and guys are implicated all over the place, Bagwell and Biggio seemed to be on that list, and Biggio seemed like wasn't the size/shape/power and should have been first ballot and was not. Piazza too.

My view is that if these guys were all doing it then why should I arbitrarily hate someone?  I feel like people are inconsistent because of personal bias, this guy is arrogant, plays for the Yankees, and everyone hates him (trendy) so I hate him too.  Without the consistency of looking at the times and others who were doing it. In Pedro's book he talked about how Schilling took toeing the rubber from him and that's what caused the bloody sock and that he was getting all kinds of injections, pain not steroid to get through it. It seems really heroic and the performance was, but it certainly took some performance enhancing, or at least allowed him to perform by getting an edge from a younger player. Everyone in the game is looking for that edge and Pedro's trick gave it to Schilling and pain injections got him through it.

I've always played around with this theory, we take the top 5 pitching and hitting prospect out of the draft now and put them all on steroids. Will every single one of them become Bonds and Clemens? The answer is no, because I imagine lots of guys were juicing in the 90s and while we got seriously inflated numbers, the great performers/athletes continued to be great and the others were mostly pedestrian. I see a guy like Brady Anderson who all of a sudden hits 50 bombs in a season when he never even hit 30.  It was 1996, that is a seriously suspect year considering Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire were building up to their magical seasons a few years later.

So, no I'm not bothered by it, Arod was undoubtedly one of the greatest players that have come through, last year was pretty amazing for an old man and 2009 doesn't happen without his bat. 

Yes, Ichiro is great isn't he, the way he approaches the game with such respect and dedication is something the younger generation should emulate. Such an amazing player.

(edit) BTW Matt good to see you around again, nice to have baseball people to chat with. Condolences about your father, I cannot imagine the depth of that pain, but glad to know he's no longer suffering and that he left behind a good legacy in you.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:47:47 AM by colonel_mexico »

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2016, 09:48:22 AM »
He wasn't the only one, but was certainly made the face of the steroids era and my feeling is no I don't blame/criticize anyone else for doing what everyone else was doing. It is pretty amazing how much he gets killed, but we have forgiven Pettitte or forget about the Bartolo Colon's of the world (who is still playing).  There is even love for Manny and he's one suspension away from banned from baseball forever, not that he's playing anymore.  Even David Ortiz has had allegations, here allegation, which is the same as Arod and Bonds who never failed any PED tests. There were a lot of names on the Mitchell report and guys are implicated all over the place, Bagwell and Biggio seemed to be on that list, and Biggio seemed like wasn't the size/shape/power and should have been first ballot and was not. Piazza too.

My view is that if these guys were all doing it then why should I arbitrarily hate someone?  I feel like people are inconsistent because of personal bias, this guy is arrogant, plays for the Yankees, and everyone hates him (trendy) so I hate him too.  Without the consistency of looking at the times and others who were doing it. In Pedro's book he talked about how Schilling took toeing the rubber from him and that's what caused the bloody sock and that he was getting all kinds of injections, pain not steroid to get through it. It seems really heroic and the performance was, but it certainly took some performance enhancing, or at least allowed him to perform by getting an edge from a younger player. Everyone in the game is looking for that edge and Pedro's trick gave it to Schilling and pain injections got him through it.

I've always played around with this theory, we take the top 5 pitching and hitting prospect out of the draft now and put them all on steroids. Will every single one of them become Bonds and Clemens? The answer is no, because I imagine lots of guys were juicing in the 90s and while we got seriously inflated numbers, the great performers/athletes continued to be great and the others were mostly pedestrian. I see a guy like Brady Anderson who all of a sudden hits 50 bombs in a season when he never even hit 30.  It was 1996, that is a seriously suspect year considering Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire were building up to their magical seasons a few years later.

So, no I'm not bothered by it, Arod was undoubtedly one of the greatest players that have come through, last year was pretty amazing for an old man and 2009 doesn't happen without his bat. 

Yes, Ichiro is great isn't he, the way he approaches the game with such respect and dedication is something the younger generation should emulate. Such an amazing player.

You say two things in the same post which contradict each other. You don't have a problem with steroid users because everyone was doing it, and then applaud Ichiro for his respect and dedication to the game, something young players should emulate. Isn't not taking steroids respectful of the game? I guess not judging by your other comments.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."