Author Topic: Hail, Caesar!  (Read 11094 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Hail, Caesar!
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2016, 03:08:44 AM »
Treating everyone the same, is represented in this dialectic by communism, which is given its due in the film; given a fair shake by Clooney's film star, who is mainly highly suggestible.  ;D

I made a point that crime writing in America tends to pull up the paving stones and find the broken people underneath. Thing is it's a society which holds out a golden carrot to every member of that society. By doing so it creates an action-reaction; as the rich get richer somebody or something gets exploited. Wealth isn't created so much as it slips towards one end of the seesaw and gathered up by the powerful. The kind way of seeing this is that you need money to make money, you invest it but the result is less is  left for the ones who had no money in the first place. The film continually alludes to this and actually does try to set up the Hollywood- Communism dialectic from which a religious perspective isn't excluded.

I should add the only societal difference here is that you could become financially powerful in the U.K. But you wouldn't be admitted into "society". I can see how American society attempts a similar feudal, patronage based framework. Lots of crime stories centre on local power bases that operate as little kingdoms; Millers Crossing with mayors and sheriffs in the pocket of the bigwig (rugs!) , is a good example to show how the Coens have had this idea on their mind. Again the difference here you can't buy enough land to enter that society here. It's been parcelled out 400 years ago! As a society we are obsessed with ownership of land so we play the landowners game. We aspire to house ownership in a way that isn't reflected in Europe. We endebt ourselves to buy homes. If that isn't dancing to someone else's tune then I Don't know what is.

Apologies for the tangent; I'm on holiday and I enjoy writing. Restful focus I think it's called. Writing lets you focus your mind without exertion. It's calming.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 03:17:26 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2016, 12:48:35 PM »
The discussion about communism has reflections of the basic idea of treating the common person with justice, but the fact that the intellectuals can't speak normally and the Soviets clearly treat celebrities better than other, more common folk, mean that communism isn't an ideal that is held up as an example.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2016, 01:09:20 PM »
Well, they are writers.  ;D
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

love